Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Olivia’s always had good hair, though it’s suspiciously thick there. As I said, it’s longer than it was at that period too.

Not seen Elton’s new ‘do’. Will look out for it.:)

Edit.
    [​IMG]

I see what you mean...I’d send that one back if I were him.:D

fsutall, Jarleboy and bob60 like this.
  2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Worth a look:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

I kind of agree with him. Juliana’s versions were often less sugary than Olivia’s originals, but not radically different. I also agree that Dancin’ ‘Round and ‘Round is a highlight and would add I prefer Hatfield’s take on Suspended In Time. It’s a good song, but Olivia’s version has too much vibrato and overuse of her higher register making it sound a bit wet. Hatfield brings out the genuine loveliness of the song better.

4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Olivia’s voice is so much better. Juliana would have to do something really special with the arrangements to make her versions preferable.

5. Bobby Morrow

Yes, Olivia is a better singer, but Juliana still does a good job with these, I think.

John Adam and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Here's one of the loveliest covers I've ever heard from anyone:

MartyTem, MMM and Pizza like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Interesting treatment, but I fear her voice might become wearing pretty sharpish.

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Poor Elton, the minute they announced the dates for the royal wedding he cancelled two of his dates in Vegas planned for that weekend just assuming he would be invited.
    Now it turns out he hasn't been invited anyway...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Agreed! Great, distinctive voice. Thanks for sharing that. I wish she was the one that did an Olivia cover album because I’m not liking the tracks I heard by Juliana. :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  10. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

Olivia is on the cover of this month's issue of the Australian Women's Weekly, with a little homage to the 'If You Love Me, Let Me Know' LP cover.

[​IMG]

x

John Adam, bob60, MMM and 1 other person like this.
  11. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I checked nay..but actually like a couple songs, "Magic" in particular. From my very limited observation, she couldn't seem to pick a genre. That would be OK except I wasn't a fan of the ones she delved in (that I'm familiar with), and her take on those genres.
    It probably makes a lot more sense in the context of today's crossover of country, pop and rock.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I love the homage to the If You Love Me album cover, but I really don't like that hair. Could she not find a comb on the day of the photo shoot?

bob60 likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

I've seen her with that hairdo a few times. It must be a 'choice'.:D

bob60 and David G. like this.
  14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Lulu's had that hairdo in the past.
    Mind you I think the only hairdo Lulu's never had is Boy George/Hayzi Fantayzi style dreadlocks in the early 80's....

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I think that hairdo used to have a nickname back in the day, something like after sex hair.
    Apologies for mentioning sex on a wholesome Olivia thread :)

GoodKitty and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Let us know if the article says anything interesting.

And Happy Birthday for tomorrow, Chris.:D

John Adam, Chris_Sydney and bob60 like this.
  17. Chris_Sydney

Thanks, my longtime friend! Your memory is outstanding.

x

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Chris_Sydney

19. Bobby Morrow

The ever truthful Daily Mail did a piece this week that said Olivia had reacted badly to the clips she'd seen. Especially the parts that featured Chloe's troubles and Patrick's disappearance. It implied she was trying to get these removed from the film. I mean, it's probably not true, but if she has brought some kind of legal action against the miniseries this might explain the delay?

Keep your eye out.:)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The trailers looks so awful I would take legal and illegal action to stop it from ever being aired!

downer likes this.
  21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I wasn't aware that Chloe had troubles, to me she always seems like a plain and regular, down to earth shy kind of person who avoids the media....:D

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Still looking good.

GoodKitty and MMM like this.
  23. Chris_Sydney

Here's some footage of Olivia and Delta discussing and performing their new duet version of 'Love Is A Gift'.

It will be released on Delta's new album 'I Honestly Love You', the companion to the biopic. It is released on May 11. It's amazing to me that Olivia has never really been honoured with a tribute album before, and now in the space of a few months there have been two of them with another female singer covering both well-known and deep cuts from Olivia's catalogue. It's nice to see songs like 'Love Is A Gift', 'Trust Yourself' and 'Til You Say You'll Be Mine' turning up on Delta's album.

[​IMG]

1. You’re The One That I Want (Feat. Dan Sultan)
    2. I Honestly Love You
    3. Physical
    4. Magic
    5. Hopelessly Devoted To You
    6. Xanadu
    7. Let Me Be There (Delta & ONJ)
    8. Today (feat. Georgia Flood)
    9. Till You Say You’ll Be Mine
    10. Anyone Who Had A Heart
    11. If Not For You
    12. Trust Yourself
    13. Love Is A Gift (Delta & ONJ)

x

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

i didn’t even considered the idea of a soundtrack. But will these songs be updates or just merely copycats to fit in the movie?

25. Bobby Morrow

I really like the Back With The Heart album. For me it’s the strongest one since her hey day. However, I never cared for Don’t Say That or Love Is A Gift, which is a real dirge. That said, Olivia sounds great on the duet though Delta seems to be mixed down a bit. Wise.:)

The cover of the Delta album is horrible. Is it meant to be Pat Carroll in the top right picture? Sweet Jesus. And Olivia never had her hair like that in the Koala Blue years.. Delta is clearly still wearing the Xanadu wig here.:)

Olivia looks fantastic in the footage. Don’t know how she does it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.