Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

It is an outtake from a magazine shoot in 2016.

x

2. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I have about four of Olivia's MCA CD's I've picked up used in stores for about $7 each in the past five years. I've been wanting to get more. Every time I look online the prices get higher and higher. Even used vinyl go for $20 to $35 plus. Is this going to be the way it is? No more catalog title releases? I found the soundtrack for Two Of A Kind last year for $6 at a HFB. Can't believe the prices for it on Ebay today.

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

No sign of any reissues, sadly. Even the Australian Festival 1998 remasters are largely OOP.

The MCA CDs remain (IMO) the best versions of Olivia’s albums. It took me years to find Clearly Love!

Well done finding the Two Of A Kind CD, BTW. That one is very hard to find.

Blimpboy and David Campbell like this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

So Bobby....tell me what I found today. I bought a copy of ONJ Greatest Hits with the original cover, and then in little letters it says Volume 2. What?? So, I pick it up and it’s got that foreign gloss to the cover and not a gatefold, with a much different track list...and luckily, many tracks not on the other one.

Changes/Every Face Tells a Story/Let It Shine/Come On Over/Love Song/HYNBM/Don’t Cry For Me Argentina (but I will when I hear that dreck)/Please Mr. Please/Something Better/Jolene/The Air That I Breathe/Don’t Stop Believin’/Making a Good Thing Better/Sam

Vinyl of course. Real glad to have Every Face because it’s not on any other vinyl comp that I know of and I don’t play the album it’s on. It has a pretty lousy quality photo of that gorgeous huge face that is on the standard issue copies. It’s on a label I’ve never heard of, Interfusion (nice looking label) but was licensed from Festival and it sounds like they used decent masters. Is this common overseas? FYI: I’ve never heard Come On Over sound this good...you should hear the violins...amazing! The store told me it had just come in.

Mylene likes this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

6. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

This 1977 Greatest Hits was released with a "Vol. 2" added in Australia because that wasn't the first Olivia compilation album released there. It was First Impressions (1974), which was released in the UK too (and that was the first time "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" was released in an album outside the US/Canada).

And that's also why Olivia's GH Vol. 2 was released as Vol. 3 in Australia.

Jrr and Blimpboy like this.
  7. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Yeah, I've got this one on CD. I bought it on Ebay a few years back because i thought it was the MCA release of GH. Given the cheapness of the CD packaging,I Thought briefly it was a fake or a phony that i had wished I never laid eyes on* and I somehow got ripped off. However i discovered it was legit as Festival's Aussie reissues on CD were visually shoddy and kept it. Luckily i didn't pay anymore than what it's generally worth! Still looking for MCA GH US version on CD though.

*yes...yes I went there. Not particularly proud of myself...

8. Bobby Morrow

I have the 1998 remaster of GHV2. It's quite a nice collection and is one of the few comps to include Making A Good Thing Better.

9. Bobby Morrow

Yes, it's the Australian issue. Released at the same time as our GH in 1977.

Olivia comps are ten a penny, but this is a nice one with some unusual inclusions.

Jrr likes this.
  10. David Campbell

Yeah I liked the track listing better than the US version. It's just a shame the Festival reissues were so basic. I know the MCA's weren't much better, but at least the artwork was more faithfully reproduced.

11. Bobby Morrow

I've been moaning about the artwork on those Festival CDs for 20 years.:) Come On Over was the worst.

The MCA CDs were extremely basic, but what pictures they did include were well produced.

The UK LP of GH omitted Come On Over and Something Better To Do in favour of Banks Of The Ohio and Take Me Home, Country Roads, but was otherwise was identical to the US version.

Good luck finding the MCA GH CD.. Ironically, that one does feature all the original LP artwork..

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It sounds lovely. Kinda neat I have an real Australian release! Thanks everyone for the history lesson!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Bobby, I will see if I have a US copy. Is it just the standard issue with her face? I didn’t know it was hard to find.

14. David Campbell

I think Bobby means the CD version is tough to find. The vinyl is pretty common.i own three copies of that one somehow. o_O

IF you have the CD version...id be willing to take it off your hands for sure.

15. Bobby Morrow

Yes, the 1977 12 track LP version but on CD.

This along with the If You Love Me, Let Me Know CD is extremely hard to find and fetch big money.

In fact, all the MCA CDs (with the possible exception of Come On Over) are getting increasingly hard to source.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I remember checking If You Love Me for you and was surprised I didn’t have it. Pretty sure I have the comp but will check. In my pursuit of a nice copy on vinyl I must have ten copies and I picked up another today which was how I stumbled on that Vol 2. So, I certainly don’t need the cd if I have it and you’re welcome to it. Will check tomorrow.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I will try and list all the cds of hers I have...you guys are welcome to any you don’t have. I was into cds from day one and have a lot of that original MCA stuff you coukdn’t give away years ago. I don’t play any cds, only vinyl, and as I mentioned above I have multiple copies on vinyl too. Anyway, would rather see them enjoyed than sitting on my shelf.

David Campbell and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I concur. WOW!
    plus
    so many good songs that are unavailable on the MCA catalog.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

They certainly are, I'm currently still missing five.

If You Love Me, Let Me Know
    Have You Never Been Mellow
    Clearly Love
    Don't Stop Believin'
    Totally Hot

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Magic id enough to love her

David Campbell likes this.
  21. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I've pretty much always been neutral on ONJ but having picked up Juliana Hatfield's recent tribute album to the singer I think it's time to take a much closer listen to the originals.

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

True. I never listen to it however. I like listening to her early albums on the original cd's in their correct order. But the real deal breaker? It inexplicably omits my favorite song from Olivia - "I Will Touch You."

23. Bobby Morrow

I reckon the hardest of those to find are Clearly Love & Have You Never Been Mellow.. You just never see them....

IMO, the best version of Mellow is the Japanese Pastmaster CD from the late 80s. It sounds incredible.

24. Bobby Morrow

Incidentally, although I've said this many times before:), for anyone seeking out great versions of her early albums, I recommend the Japanese Twin Best Now 2 CD set from the early 90s.. It features the Olivia Newton-John, Olivia and HYNBM albums in full alongside a handful of other tracks. Well worth picking up.

David Campbell and Blimpboy like this.
  25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I wonder why Japan has rights to issue her first two albums, but they've never issued her 3rd and 4th albums?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.