Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

That's awesome ! brilliant .... :)

2. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Scored a mint MCA copy of 'Have You Never Been Mellow' on CD today at a very nice price.

I only need to acquire 'If You Love Me, Let Me Know', 'Clearly Love' and 'Totally Hot' to have a full set of MCA discs!

snowman872 likes this.
  3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Bobby, can you put a year on that tennis photo ? (thanks)
    I've sometimes wondered what Linda thought about Olivia ...

Oh, and have you ever seen Olivia perform, or otherwise seen her in the flesh ?
    Also, when did she last perform in the UK ? (thanks) :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I intend to read that book.
    From the audiobook, here's Phil telling the story of how at age 19 he lucked into being a percussionist for George Harrison at Abbey Road ....

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

1. The tennis photo was from 1976.

2. The only only time I’ve heard Linda refer to Olivia was in the 70s. In an interview she said, “I’m not a country singer, but I’m more of a country singer than, say, Olivia Newton-John”. I’m assuming she wasn’t a fan.:D

3. I’ve never seen Olivia perform or seen her in the flesh.

4. She played a few dates in 2013 (I think) in the UK. The first ones she done here since 1978!

GoodKitty likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Congrats in finding HYNBM! For some reason it’s always been one of the hardest MCD CDs to get hold of. You see IYLMLMK (at high prices) more often than you see HYNBM!

8. Bobby Morrow

I enjoyed Phil’s book, despite not being a huge fan of his music. He struck a nice balance between his personal life and career in the biog. Plenty of details about his albums too, which is always good.

GoodKitty likes this.
  9. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Thanks !
    I heard or read that Linda quote somewhere too .... a little bit of shade, but I figure once they actually met and spent time together that the opinion would change substantially. I know that for a time Olivia was perceived as an interloper of sorts by certain more "authentic" American artists ...

And you've never seen Olivia ? That does seem rather unfair .... and I'm absolutely perplexed at how she could go some 35 years without performing in the UK ... How can that be ?? :confused::confused::confused:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

To be honest, I was never that bothered about seeing her live. Not really a concert fan. I knew when she played here in 2013 it would probably be my last chance to see her, but I still wasn’t tempted.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Well, I am very surprised by that .... not tempted ...
    I wonder when my best chance was .... I might've been in California at some point and unknowingly been within 200 miles of her show ...

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

She owns a little piece of GREASE, right ? Probably the single best busine$$ deal of her life .... And I imagine her to have always been very "sensible" with her money ... and that maybe she got relatively lucky with her investments and not getting burned by people and cirumstances ... And the on-going performance income ....

I agree with this .... She doesn't seem so precious about her recorded legacy ... I think her family's background instilled in her a somewhat detached and "realistic" perspective on "show-biz achievements" ... however fine and decent and admirable her's were.

I haven't bought anything "Olivia" in oh at least 9 months ... and now I'm really feeling an itch .... One Woman's Live Journey is the most "recent" thing I have of hers...

I was very tempted... Still am . I just have it as a youtube rip .

I like "Big And Strong" .

Pizza and Jarleboy like this.
  13. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Me too.

Jarleboy and GoodKitty like this.
  14. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Anybody else surprised to see a karaoke version of the Liv On album available on Amazon? Can there possibly be any demand for an instrumental version of an obscure album composed of dirges??

15. Bobby Morrow

That’s a strange one.:D

I still feel bad that Olivia obviously really loved this album and worked so hard to promote it only to see it flop. Not bad enough to buy it, of course.:)

Still no sign of her memoirs getting released outside of Australia. That’s something I would actually buy.

John Adam, fsutall and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Dan MacIntosh

Dan MacIntosh Active Member

I thought she was really hot, back when I was in middle school. I don't switch the station whenever one of songs comes on. Not a ringing endorsement, but I'm certainly no hater. Those songs from Grease stand up well.

Jarleboy and David Campbell like this.
  17. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I returned home after an unexpected hospital stay to find that a package had arrived from Australia -- the ONJ memoir, along with a physical copy of the Hopelessly Devoted: The Hits CD. Having not downloaded the digital version of that collection, I was unaware that a number of the tracks on it are live versions. The three songs from Grease and two from Xanadu are all live recordings taken from her live Vegas CD set. My guess is that there were costs to licensing that material, so her people decided to just use the live versions that were fully owned by her.

I've only flipped through the memoir very briefly, but I'm hoping I can try to read it soon -- if I can't get an audiobook version. I'm very happy to have it, at least.

John Adam, fsutall and Jarleboy like this.
  18. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

I was able to get the book on eBay for a pretty reasonable price ~$25. I'm about half way through it and it's a good read so far - nice stories about growing up, family, etc. Good info on her early years in London and navigating the music "scene". Light on actual music details, which is disappointing. For example, there's a paragraph only where she mentions having big hits with A Little More Love and Deeper Than The Night...and that's about it. I had hoped for more.

But the storytelling is good, and it's pretty well-written in my opinion. Not JK Rowling well-written, but definitely ONJ - it's easy to hear her voice narrating the writing. No OMG moments at all, no dishing, etc. Not her style. It's just her story and I like it so far.

GoodKitty, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I was disappointed she didn't mention the name of the movie star hitting on her in the California hotel lobby. There's being discreet and then there's just being ridiculous. Given the time frame and the description I'd imagine it was Warren Beatty. who, at this point, I don't think would care. Actually, at that point, I don't think he would care!

David Campbell and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Lee Kramer told a story that Beatty hit on Olivia at a film premiere once. So it’s probably him. Though some have speculated that it was Burt Reynolds.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I agree. Don’t tell the story if you’re going to leave out the biggest detail. Being discreet is keeping totally mum, not teasing a story with some details.

David G., kiefer2 and Jarleboy like this.
  22. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I mean, isn't the whole point of a memoir to tell the details and secrets? :winkgrin:

Pizza likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but how much of the book is about her cancer battle/the hospital etc?

24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

If I am paying good money for someones memoir then I expect them to dish the dirt. :D
    Olivia was mega famous, succesfull and very attractive, I can’t believe that was the only movie star to ever try it on with her.

Pizza likes this.
  25. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Please, Bobby, let us have our moment of reveling in the almost-juicy stuff before we move on to the dreary parts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.