OMEGA loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guillaume Bougard, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Thanks. I already have a small, decent sub, if needed. The speakers would be placed about 4" from the back wall, hence my avoidance of rear-ported speaks. The Omega Desktops are about the same size as my B&W's and are as large as I want to go.

2. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I get it, well the Omega Super 3 Desktops are bottom ported so placement shouldn't be an issue as they could pretty much almost touch the wall.

3. phred

phred Forum Resident

Omega single drivers are very good at what they do well - mids, voices etc
    They are very fast and they image well - for what they are and what they can do well they are spectacularly good.
    If you have a passion for a certain (limited) genres of music they are very good - better than most and extremely good value.

With no crossover the Omega (Single drivers) allow the amp to more properly control the driver but I would suspect they need a little power for optimum control on complex passages.

The negatives
    The music you can play well is somewhat limited
    They only produce limited volumse in large rooms
    Weak/feeble bass
    (On anything rockier than say Dire Straights they will be found wanting)
    These are very good speakers but if you seek punch out of your system shop elsewhere
    Potentially the OP would be better served with a speaker that delivers over a wider range than the Omegas

4. geoffr

I understand your point, but I have other systems in the house where I can rock (or orchestra) out. I tend to listen mostly to jazz, folk, and small scale classical when I work.

5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

The bulk of my music is Rock and its sub-genres with stuff such as Steven Wilson, The Black Keys, Led Zeppelin, etc.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but will repost it here again:

I think there's a lot of misconception on single driver speakers that they are not good across all genres. I do find the Omega's good with anything I've ran through them with the bulk of my listening in Rock and its sub-genres (Classic/Punk/Heavy Metal, etc.), with a dose of Classic Country, Folk, Jazz and Classical thrown in.

I also use them in a 2.1 configuration with a Decware 6 watt tube amp ... I know 6 watts sounds strange for watching movies, but it works due to their efficiency and lack of crossover (due to being crossoverless the First Watt theory applies very generously here). I do use a subwoofer though for both mediums though as I love deep bass.

So IMO a very versatile speaker, can be driven with as little as 2 watts and I think their strengths are their imaging (as Dave mentioned above), cohesiveness, speed and (since they don't use a crossover) the lack of tonal colorations. Their short comings are the lack of deep bass and they don't reach the SPL's that other multi-driver speakers can reach.

6. geoffr

2 watts, 6 watts? I though that my 14 wpc Eico was challenged. I will of course, be listening from 4-5 feet from the speakers, not trying to fill a room.

7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I've had my neighbor complain twice when watching movies on my 6 watt taboo, saying that I actually knocked a picture off his wall one time. Yes, 2 watts and higher will allow you to fully drive these speakers especially since you will be listening near field.

edit: I'm not actually a bad neighbor, I just didn't realize it was loud enough to do that. :(

8. Guillaume Bougard

Guillaume Bougard Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not for me, and I listen to Reggae, Dub, Dancehall and Funk and Hip Hop. I have a pair of desktop 3's at the office and a pair of 7xrs at home. At the office I have a Decware (the small one at 2wpc) and at home I used an Eico 81 until a week ago and a Decware Torii MK4 since last week. I am a producer, working with Sly & Robbie so I do need something that can handle Robbie Shakespeare's bass, which is one of the heaviest and deepest in the World.

If what you're looking for is the type of sound you hear in pimped up automobiles in the US, you will not get that with Omegas. That said, bass is VERY audible, very well defined and pleasing on both sets. At home, is also can get loud, although it will never be a subwoofer type of sound.

beowulf likes this.
  9. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I was recently raging Tool "Undertow" with my new Omegas and it was the best and loudest that album has ever sounded! I've owned B&W towers and Sonus Faber monitors and my Omegas are easily the best at rocking out. They also make Townes Van Zandt sound like he's in the room with you!

bhazen likes this.
  10. Audiophile58

Audiophile58 New Member

I have owned many conventional Loudspeakers and all have their strengths .
    I recently had the Omega Open baffle with The latest XRS -5 sporting -2 drivers per cabinet they sound very you are there ,voices as pure as I have heard at any price
    That is saying a lot !! On Bass they go to about 50 HZ . I use a very good powered sub
    Xover around 90hz to let the Sub do it's thing for the last 1.5 octave just my preference to let the main driver coast,this applies to most floorstanders also. These are Very musical,
    And his cabinets are pure artisan craftsmanship with thick Top grade veneers,much better then most.
    I wanted to try his best though being an Audiophile.his Latest Alnico magnet XRS -6
    Sonic purity at it's best and 93 db efficiency at 1 watt.and solid Bass to at least mid 40 HZ region.With my 18 wpc Jas Bravo SET integrated
    Talk about being happy .i could sit here for days and just listen to each song and memory and just forget about time . This combinstion is that good. Be it classic rock , a Jazz quartet,or
    Big band swing at 95 db on a SPL meter this is ear damage level just to test it out ,and clear as a bell. At human listening levels mid 80s db level .instruments just flow out with -0 compression. Give these Loudspeakers a go .the better class of Amplification the more you will be rewarded.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    beowulf likes this.
  11. geoffr

I finally purchased a pair of the Omega 3T desktop speakers. I was ready to pull the trigger on a pair with the stock finish directly from Omega when I saw a mint pair in the Level 3 ebony finish for the same price as stock about a 2 hour drive from home. I have them placed about 3'6" o.c. apart on my 3'x6' drafting table, hooked up to a sweet Scott 222c. The previous speakers were some B&W dm601's, which I enjoyed, but this is something totally different. I am not the greatest descriptor of audio effects so I will quote Guillame from post #20, with which I thoroughly concur :

"Anyway enough of me and my album. The speakers reveal stuff I didn't even know are there. I keep having these holy **** moments at every freaking song. Like Holy ****, I discovered something new in my own production!!! Holy ****, this sounds like a nice album, holy ****, where did this come from? etc...

I'm like hallucinating because whenever I close my eyes, I have to quickly open them again and look for that instrument that's hiding somewhere in between the speakers, behind the screen of the mac and that just popped out of nowhere..."

I have been listening to this system for about two weeks and it is blowing my mind. I'm sure that at some point I'll get used to it, but it is difficult to get much work done now. I'm actually looking forward to getting home from the day job to work on the side jobs. When my Eico HF81 comes back from the restoration guy, I'll try that as well.

EVOLVIST and rob303 like this.
  12. Tomorrow I get my Omega Compact Alnico Monitors, which I will pair with my JL Fathom f110 sub (when I get it), but first I'll let the speakers break-in good.

I hope for nearfield listening (3 to 6ft) that these will serve me well across many genres.

I will report back if anyone is interested.

Ric-Tic, beowulf, russk and 1 other person like this.
  13. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Yes, please do. Would be interested if you think the sub could be left out? I was looking at the Omega Super Alnico HO monitors.

14. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

How are these working out for you?

15. Well...First, I'll say that Omega speakers are second to none for full range single drivers. Really, these things are awesome. It's almost scary how well they image and case a 3D effect. I went another direction, though, because I was moving to a dedicated listening room and in need of larger speakers with similar qualities to the Omegas.

But yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anybody, with or without a sub. Louis has so e serious magic going on, which makes these one of the better deals in audiophile land.

You know, I didn't detect any difference in the sound from one hour in to 200 hours in. Out of the box they sounded wonderful.

There's not enough superlatives. It just depends on if they fit one's listening habits and room at the time. Otherwise, it's a no brainer.

DougT likes this.
  16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Night of the living thread...night. Never heard Omegas but I do love hemp so I’m going two thumbs up:)
    Happy Thanksgiving

beowulf and EVOLVIST like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.