On a quest for a decent budget turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JNK, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Since it's nearing Christmas, I've decided to seek out a better turntable for myself. Honestly, I just feel...guilty using the Crosley suitcase portable. The whole ceramic cart. issue, the worry that it might just be damaging my records, the crummy sound, and all that is just too much trouble for me. That, and as I'm not a basic white hipster gurl, the whole style-over-substance pseudo-retro thing really doesn't speak to me. It's a mess.

Sooooo, I've decided to peak around at what my options are. I'm probably going for something below $250. I don't need one lubed with baby orphan tears, or looks like something from a super-prestigious European minimalist designer that you've never heard of/looks like something out of a SCAN or Ikea catalog. I just need something that is, at the very least:
    *Cheap (below $250)
    *Has a magnetic cartridge
    *3 Speeds
    *Has a speed/pitch control
    *Good quality

I've mostly narrowed it down to something like an Audio Technica AT-LP120, or a Numark TT200. My brother has an AT-LP120, but I'd doubt he'd let me borrow it. It does fit the bill quite nicely, and is a very well-respected turntable all around. The Numark also looks good, but I haven't heard great things about straight tonearms :\

However, I just came across this very interesting Crosley. It seems like they're trying to break out of the hipstery pseudo-retro garbage and make something decent for once. It has a magnetic cartridge, 3 speeds, speed-strobe, and a speed control. And it looks relatively well built, no faux wood-grain or fake leather! At the same time, I'm incredibly leery. There has to be some sort of catch. Are they moving from '60s-style portables to '70s-style hifi-changer turnables? Or are they genuinely trying to turn over a new leaf?
    http://www.crosleyradio.com/Turntables/CR6009A_Advance

There's also the thrift shop route. I actually went into one a couple weeks ago, but the only 'tables I saw were two old '70s type ones by BSR(?) and Sears, and actual tables *rimshot* :p Sliiimmmm pickin's here.

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

If you don't need 3 speeds, you might check out Music Hall's USB-1. Good luck!

LeeS and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  3. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

+1 on the Music Hall. It's a very nice budget table.

4. JNK

Well, I've inherited a whole boxload of antique 78s, so getting them transferred properly is kind of important. And I'd much rather do it in real-time as opposed to at 33 or 45 RPM :\

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The AT-LP120 should suit your needs pretty well.

jeffsab and PhilBiker like this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Don't limit yourself to something brand new. There are plenty of gently used quality turntables that can provide a bigger return for your money.

Thrift shops...err, probably not for the most part.

goldwax and PopularChuck like this.
  7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

+ another 1 on the USB 1. I bought mine new about a year 1/2 ago. It was my first new turntable, and I've been very happy with it.
    Much better than futzing around with used tables.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Fair enough. The AT looks decent, and used might turn up a real bargain. Keep in mind, you'll need a different stylus for the 78's.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. JNK

I'm aware of the different stylus requirements. I have a 78 needle on the Crosley, and it's giving me good-ish results. I'm looking at using a Shure M78 for the next TT.

Back to the question, does anyone know anything about the Crosley Advance?

10. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Any second hand TT you could buy for $180 would drag the Crosley into an alley and kick the living s*** out of it. Seriously.

auburn278, jeffsab, kfringe and 6 others like this.
  11. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I will second, er, third the suggestion you consider something gently used. You'll get far more TT for your money. Craigslist, Audiogon, someone with excellent feedback on eBay...

goldwax likes this.
  12. JNK

I've checked CL (and the local junk shop), and it really is either old Garrard/BSR/Califone all-in-one changers w/ ceramic carts, ugly faux wood grain, and a buttload of dust and crud, those hideously massive radio/phono/tv coffee tables from the '50s, or plain '80s-'90s 33/45 decks. Nothing that really fits my needs :\ Plus, you probably don't know where it's been. Has it been lovingly pampered and regularly used in an audiophile's rack, kept spotless and unused by a kind grandmother, abused by decades of little kids and teens, or kept in a damp garage next to the raccoon's den or spider's web?

I'm not really a big fan of buying used, if truth be told. I like to have things I can call my own, and know exactly how many miles it has on it :agree:

13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Wait it out. There was a beatiful automatic Thorens for sale about a month ago in DC.

auburn278 likes this.
  14. JNK

Hmmmmmm, when you put it like that....

15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. JNK

Jersey's a bit far for a 'table. The local thrift ship, otoh, is literally a minute's walk from my house :cool:

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I know it's a hike, but I just wanted to show you that some good stuff does appear. I would scoop it up but the missus demands automatic.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The U-Turn table at $179 is also nice.

auburn278, Dan and PhilBiker like this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

78 RPM on the Thorens automatic not a good bet unless a TDW-224 in use. Most 78 RPM discs need to be tracked on the heavy side (2.25 grams upward). I'd recommend the AT-PL 120 for a do it all table for your money. Lower mass tonearm is not suited for 78 RPM needs.

20. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I had the Music Hall USB-1 for about a year or so and I wasn't impressed - it really had a hard time keeping speed which is not a good thing for a new turntable.
    The AT turntable is probably more what you're looking for. Plus, you can also buy a 78 rpm needle for the cartridge it comes with (AT95E).

GetHappy!! likes this.
  21. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

What I usually suggest for cheapest possible route is a decent model used Technics, Pioneer, Dual, Sansui, etc. from the late '60s - mid '80s and replace the cart/stylus. Of course one needs to be lucky; the hunt itself and any servicing/repairs can add up fast.

While I haven't heard one of these and am not suggesting it'll wow anyone sonically, here's a different "entry level" option you might want to consider. It seems to fit the key criteria:

- better than the Crosley
    - will sound ok
    - won't ruin records
    - very simple
    - well enough made to be reliable
    - MM cart w/spherical diamond styli
    - very cheap

You'd be giving up the 78 speed and pitch in favor of better sound for this price range. It's a Technics belt-drive, used but refurbished by KAB, an expert reputable seller, including cleaning/lubing, new belt & decent enough cart w/new styli, so it should be like new. $160. https://www.kabusa.com/slbd20.htm

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And also limited in cartridge choices. It is T4p mount. It is decent. Reliable in light home use. Audio-Technica, Shure, and Grado are the main makers of T4p cartridges now. Recommendable for the price now.

PhilBiker likes this.
  23. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

It would be nice if a forum member gave this a new home.

25. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Man that's a steal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.