On a quest for a decent budget turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JNK, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That Pioneer is almost the spitting image of the one my uncle has. I don't think it is, though.

I think what would be great is if someone here started doing objective reviews of low-priced USB turntables, ranking them and posting audio examples. Knowzy did some back in '08, but there've been some newcomers to the market and they only did 5 or so TT's. However, it was infinitely better than just the usual "[brand/model/cartridge X] sucks, get [brand/model/cartridge Y or Z] instead!" that you read in posts. I feel like many dismissed the Crosley Advance simply because of the brand name-it's generally associated with cheap pseudo-antique record grinders. Some people even dismiss the AT-LP120 simply due to it not being a "real" Technics SL-1200, and cite minor statistics that are unnoticeable in real world applications. Cheap parts, straight arms, inner groove distortion, resonance, etc. make perfect sense to audiophiles and ttphiles, but to newcomers like me, we need to know what to listen for and what to examine.

However, at a certain point, it becomes too much to worry about minor details that we fail to enjoy the music. When I'm enjoying a song, on any format or device, I'm not at all concerned with resonance, sonic deterioration, frequency response, etc. A turntable, amp, speakers, and record are merely the vehicles for the music, not vice versa.

svoegtlin likes this.
  2. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Actually, that's probably not fair; what I SHOULD have said was ''Any secondhand TT you could buy for $80 would drag''...........................

3. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Something went a bit nuttybonkers there and I got cut off halfway through (always nasty); just substitute $80 for the original $180 and you'll get the general idea.

4. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

Just checked out their site and bought one for my Son for Christmas ,thanks

5. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Buy a Technics SL7

6. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

7. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Used SL-1200 mk2?

Nielsoe likes this.
  8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

FYI, this is a 10-month old thread, so keep that in mind before making suggestions to the OP (who may have already made his purchase by now).

9. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

But when someone Googles "best budget turntable" he might end up here and that's useful. But you're right of course....

10. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

Already came in just took over a week, only problem now is waiting till xmas to set up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.