On a weirdness scale of 1-10, where do I rate? I LOVED Flash Gordon!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fjhuerta, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

So...

I finally re-watched Flash Gordon after not doing so for 24 years (the thought that some forum members hadn't been born 24 years ago scares me!). Anyway...

I watched it with my wife. She was expecting to fall asleep in the first 3 minutes (she can't stand sci-fi, and, reportedly, she hates Star Wars).

Guess what happened?

We had the time of our lives! We were laughing all the way throughout the movie - GREAT laughs! Even more, we were amazed at how cheap, yet well made the film was. All the blue background shots looked laughable, yet somehow... special. It's as if someone had taken camp to such an extreme as to confuse viewers whether they were watching a serious movie or not.

Which might explain why people hated it. They were expecting something grand, like Star Wars, and instead got something... well, weird, like Flash Gordon.

I absolutely loved every moment of it. It's so bizarre, campy, psychedelic... and Queen's music is, to put it mildly, the best soundtrack EVER to any kind of film whatsoever. It fit like a glove!

It also has the best quote ever in a film...

Ming: Who are you?
    FG: FLASH GORDON. QUARTERBACK. NEW YORK JETS.

:laugh: :laugh: :D :shake: :winkgrin: :help: :goodie: :agree: :laugh: :laugh: :edthumbs:

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Hey, I always liked that movie. :thumbsup:

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Maybe it gained something in translation.

I saw it at the first "on lot" screening at Universal. Hated it; saw it years later and liked it a bunch more...

4. fjhuerta

I actually watched it in English (as it should be! - movies are not dubbed around here), and I do remember I liked it a lot more than when I was 6 years old... :D.

One more thing... Max Von Sydow looks as if he was having the time of his life in that movie.

Princess Aura is, shall I say, "STUNNING".

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I liked it, too, 'though I seem to remember seeing it in a pretty seedy theater, and...oh, wait a minute, that was FLESH Gordon. Never mind. ;)

John K.

6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

A definite guilty pleasure. :thumbsup:

7. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I thought this thread was about the serial (s) that I used to watch on TV in the '50s :) ... I guess that I am showing my age ... I don't recall seeing the movie ...

8. fjhuerta

:D I didn't laugh before because I didn't want to look like the only perv who knows what you are talking about :help:

9. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

That's because you probably saw it with Erin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.