On the "Let it Be" movie ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I agree it is historical, but every time I watch the official Don't Let Me Down video, I just say gives us the (live) music videos and I'll be happy. Bonuses of course...

bhazen and Derek Slazenger like this.
  2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The movie was being actively prepped for DVD release around the time of ...Naked. On a recent podcast interview, Mark Lewisohn described his involvement in bonus features - including his interview with the two cops who went up on the roof to stop the concert! You don't track down London bobbies 30+ years after the fact on the off chance that one day Yoko will change her mind.

I don't think any of them are actively, permanently blocking the release - they may just not feel the time is right yet. Maybe there are peripheral issues to sort out; maybe other material surfaced and they need to reconfigure things accordingly. I'm not always an optimist, but I believe it'll come out.

2141, Hall Cat and andrewskyDE like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I believe something like a box set for Get Back / Let It Be would come out sometime anyway.
    Because money... and because of avoiding copyright expiration. Let's hope for the best.

4. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Power To The People?

BOYCOTT THE BEATLES

RIGHT NOW.
    EVERYBODY.
    Just STOP buying!

Do not buy ANY Beatle product.

They will get the message and they will give us our movie.

5. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

That's a good point too

6. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, sometime.
    Please direct me if it has.

During Don't Let Me Down on the rooftop, the camera crew chases after a girl in a mini skirt.
    Is she interviewed with any of the on the street interviews ? Was she ever identified ?
    40 years later, I was the girl in the mini skirt...........

7. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Right on, man!

But... I went wobbly and bought the Christmas vinyl box.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

This is why we can't have nice things. ;)

BeatlesBop and ZippyPippy like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Does your '66 message vinyl have surface noise? All the others in my set sound great...dead quiet...except for this one.

10. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The definitive "Let It Be" DVD transfer so far is this one....

BootlegZone : The Beatles -- Let It Be Deluxe 35 MM Widescreen

If you have Usenet, you can find it in the binaries group and take a look at it. The film is beautifully transferred with superb sound. Let It Be is really not depressing at all once its presented with pristine sound (from the Nagra tapes at Twickenham and the Stereo tapes at Apple and on the roof), bright color, and in 16mm non-stretched format (even though the title of this is "Deluxe 35mm Widescreen", it isn't, it's in the original 16mm aspect ratio without any stretching). The TMOQ transfer of the film (released a couple of years ago) is vastly inferior to the one referred to above. I think that a lot of people's opinions about Let It Be would change if they had the chance to see it in perfect quality, just as opinions changed about Magical Mystery Tour.

11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The new Lord Reith version of just the rooftop without any interviews interrupting the music looks and sounds fantastic. Probably better than Apple will ever do with the material...if they ever actually do anything.

DrBeatle and linclink like this.
  12. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Will be looking for that!!! My fave live event ever!

applebonkerz likes this.
  13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

You Bounder! You Cheat!

andrewskyDE, DrBeatle and Lemon Curry like this.
  14. California Couple

I know. Come on People, show some backbone!

WilliamWes and Yovra like this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

At this point I figure it will either be Spring 2020 for the 50th anniversary (probably as part of a very expensive box with all the Nagra recordings), or not at least until one of the 4 Apple co-owners passes on.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. California Couple

And while they are at it, please just give us The Book in its original glossy form.

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Maybe upgrade to a brand of glue that lasts more than 5 minutes.

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I also have a DVD sourced from the laser disc and I've watched it several times over the years. I think it should be made available again because it is a historical document of a band in the process of breaking up, but even so, it has its shining moments.
    John had a reputation for not caring about George's songs, but here he is playing slide guitar on "For You Blue" and waltzing with Yoko to "I Me Mine."
    It still cracks me up when Heather scares the snot out of Ringo by hitting his cymbal.
    Although they weren't having a lot of fun in the studio (with a few glowing exceptions), it really looks like they're enjoying themselves on the rooftop.
    Gimme Shelter is a bit of a downer, too, but it got the Criterion treatment because it,too, is an important historical document.

19. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

I'd say that John waltzing with Yoko during I Me Mine is an excellent example of him not caring about George's songs.

20. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Except they all have kids, some of whom have kids too so...

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

True, but different people may have different points of view. Whenever a roadblock passes away there is a possibility of change.

marmil likes this.
  22. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I recently got a very good copy of this which I'm pretty sure was sourced from the LD. I saw it several times when it came out and as a midnight movie. Except for about 5-10 minutes it's really not that depressing, The electric I Me Mine and the rooftop scenes are really fantastic.

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i agree with all this, and can we really say they were even 'breaking up'? they went on to make another album so they had a little juice left. a couple arguments that all bands had and other than that it just the beatles making music. I don't see it at all depressing

24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Beat me to it. Instead of playing on a George song (which he almost never did), he's screwing around with a mock waltz.

And his amateurish lap steel on the almost pathetic "For You Blue" I would hardly laud either...

keyXVII and MoonPool like this.
  25. Not to mention his do-si-do lyric contributions to "Teddy Boy", so that George wouldn't feel singled out.

Folknik and DrBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.