Once Upon A Time In America - Extended Director's Cut Blu ray Announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Once Upon a Time in America: Extended Director's Cut Blu-ray
    Posted June 5, 2014 03:31 AM by Webmaster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is releasing an Extended Director's Cut of Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America on Blu-ray this fall. The extended version features 40-minutes of additional footage, bringing the runtime to 269 minutes, and was supervised by the film's original sound editor, Fausto Ancillai. The Extended Director's Cut makes its U.S. Blu-ray debut on September 30th.

Synopsis: Spanning four decades, Sergio Leone's final film tells the story of David "Noodles" Aaronson (Robert De Niro) and his Jewish pals, chronicling their childhoods on New York's Lower East Side in the 1920s, through their gangster careers in the 1930s, and culminating in Noodles' 1968 return to New York from self-imposed exile, at which time he learns the truth about the fate of his friends and again confronts the nightmare of his past. Leone's film is both a criticism of gangster-film mythology and a continuation of the director's exploration of the issues of time and history, while the violence and gore that frequent the first half of the film turn into a sad elegy about wasted lives and lost love.

The Extended Director's Cut Blu-ray is presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround. Warner Bros. has yet to detail special features. The 229-minute cut of the film was released on Blu-ray in 2011.

Source : www.Blu-ray.com

lbangs likes this.
  2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

There was a rape scene exclusive to Brazil of all places. Hopefully it will be in this print.

3. Myke

Updated :

Once Upon a Time in America: Extended Director's Cut Blu-ray (Updated)
    Posted June 5, 2014 03:31 AM by Webmaster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially announced the Collector's Edition Blu-ray release of the Extended Director's Cut of Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America. The extended version features 22-minutes of additional footage, bringing the runtime to 251 minutes, and was supervised by the film's original sound editor, Fausto Ancillai. The Extended Director's Cut makes its U.S. Blu-ray debut on September 30th.

Synopsis: Spanning four decades, Sergio Leone's final film tells the story of David "Noodles" Aaronson (Robert De Niro) and his Jewish pals, chronicling their childhoods on New York's Lower East Side in the 1920s, through their gangster careers in the 1930s, and culminating in Noodles' 1968 return to New York from self-imposed exile, at which time he learns the truth about the fate of his friends and again confronts the nightmare of his past. Leone's film is both a criticism of gangster-film mythology and a continuation of the director's exploration of the issues of time and history, while the violence and gore that frequent the first half of the film turn into a sad elegy about wasted lives and lost love.

The new Collector's Edition contains a new 32-page book with rare photos and insightful notes that chronicle the movie's production history. The book also includes a letter written by Martin Scorsese. He noted, "At long last, materials for some of these missing sections have been found and re-inserted into the picture under the supervision of Leone's family and surviving collaborators. The work has been completed by the magnificent team at Cineteca di Bologna and L'Immagine Ritrovata, with generous funding from Gucci, and it has been wonderful to witness this enlargement of Leone's vision, step by precious step."

The Extended Director's Cut is being released via two editions: a 2-disc Extended Director's Cut Collector's Edition, which contains the Extended Director's Cut, the 1984 theatrical edition, Digital HD with UltraViolet, plus the 32-page book with rare photos and chronicles of the movie's production; and a single-disc standard edition.

Special features include:
    • Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Richard Schickel
    • Making-of Documentary - Once Upon a Time: Sergio Leone

[​IMG]

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

4+ hours seems like a lot to put on one disc without sacrificing some PQ.

captainsolo likes this.
  5. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I'm so looking forward to this release!

Myke likes this.
  6. Myke

7. Myke

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

yes,that's all the film needs is another one.
    while i do really like this film and De Niro's performance,i find it hard to like his character.
    but by the end i really couldn't care that he'd been fooled.

9. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Holy Das Boot Batman ! ;) :)

10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

:wtf: I just recently bought the previous Blu-Ray, this **** really pisses me off, guess i'll wait for the reviews.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I'm wary for three reasons:
    1) with the bonuses and the sheer length of the longer cut of the movie, that's a lot of data to pack into one BD, so I wonder about the amount of compression that will be used
    2) the longer cut was premiered, then pulled for a while because they were still concerned about the subpar quality of the added material...unless they've miraculously discovered pristine source material for those scenes, I wonder if they're going to look pretty crummy regardless?
    3) would Leone really have wanted these extra scenes to have stayed in the final, final cut? Just because he shot it doesn't mean he would've kept it.

12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

The fact that the previous BR is not as great as it should be ,is the big problem for me,If they can add in the extra scenes in a longer version which looks better than that poorly reviewed Italian, That would be nice
    But I am more interested in them getting the transfer right,this is one of the greatest looking films ever ,and should look that way,The cover art like most warner art stinks .Like they are trying to get fans of Goodfellas to buy this

alexpop likes this.
  13. Myke

Once Upon a Time in America Sergio Leone’s final and perhaps greatest film, Once Upon a Time in America is a New York gangster saga housed within an intricate temporal construction that shuttles between eras, plunging the characters and the viewer into an ocean of longing, regret, and rumination over what might have been. Robert De Niro and James Woods star as boyhood friends from the Lower East Side who build a bootlegging empire. Elizabeth McGovern appears as the woman of their dreams (played as a girl by Jennifer Connelly). When this film was originally released in the United States, it was edited down to size and put in chronological order. It was followed by a re-release in a much longer cut that preserved the director’s structure. This version includes 22 minutes of restored footage, never before seen in the United States. The restored footage has been returned to the film three decades after its theatrical release, deepening the characters and enlarging the work of its astonishing cast: Robert De Niro, James Woods, Tuesday Weld, Joe Pesci, Jennifer Connelly, Elizabeth McGovern, Treat Williams, and Louise Fletcher. The latter three are showcased in recovered scenes. Restoration funded by Gucci and The Film Foundation.

http://www.filmlinc.com/nyff2014/bl...al-mankiewicz-retrospective-film-society-2014

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm skeptical about adding even more footage to what felt like an overlong film, but the extended version of Ridley Scott's KINGDOM OF HEAVEN was an extraordinary improvement, transforming an average film into one of the best I've ever seen, so it's possible.

Pete Puma likes this.
  15. My take:
    1) the added scenes are important to me and I already have the standard release version in fine quality, so this does not bother me.
    2) again, the extra scenes are the main allure for me, if they only exist in less than pristine condition, so be it.
    3) Leone was extemely disapointed his film was cut down in length, I suspect he would be very pleased they are finally restored to his career masterpiece.

Myke likes this.
  16. Pre-ordered this yesterday in the 2-disc version...looking forward to seeing this the way Leone intended for audiences to view it!!!:thumbsup:

Myke likes this.
  17. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

This is my worry. PQ has suffered on the DVD and BD due to overfill and an older transfer. Now, they've added 22 minutes back and it still remains on one disc.

18. Myke

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I come to believe that with rare exceptions, the director's released version is final.

20. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Can someone please help me out with this movie.
    There was the US chronological order release which I saw when it came out. Then the released a much longer version (VHS) that put everything the way it was supposed to be with flashbacks, etc. This was back in the 80s.
    So is this new version even longer? Yikes! If so, sounds like overkill.

21. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Length isn't really anything new with Sergio Leone films. I've always seen his films as epic adventures, so of course they'd be very long. I'd bet that if he were still alive, he'd support releasing longer cuts of his movies.

Myke likes this.
  22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was hoping this would also be released on DVD! but, I'll get it for the future...LOVE THIS MOVIE!

Myke likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, this movie can't be long enough...

Myke likes this.
  25. Myke

The review of the Single Disc version just got a 4.5 out of 5. This review addresses the additional 22 minutes specifically.

Spoiler warning :

" One cannot discuss the new scenes without addressing their context in the larger scheme of OUATIA, which means that the following discussion assumes the reader is already familiar with the film and makes no effort to avoid spoilers for first-time viewers. This will be the only warning provided. "

Now, the reason I quoted the 2 posts above...Gentleman, this should address your concerns :

" By dropping the Richard Schickel commentary (which would not cover the new material), as well as several audio and subtitle options, Warner saved enough digital real estate to achieve roughly the same average bitrate for this new version of OUATIA as for the previous edition (14.98 Mbps for the new disc vs. 14.96 for the old). Compression artifacts are not in evidence, but it would be interesting to see how OUATIA would look spread over two discs and allowed greater bandwidth. "

Review here : http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Once-Upon-a-Time-in-America-Blu-ray/105558/#Review

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.