Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

A whole bunch of people are wanting to discuss the ending of this film, and shouldn't have to try to hide everything in spoilers. So this is the place to do it.

Go to town people!

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great ending. Prepared for poor Sharon to....you know.

carrick doone, clhboa, Rich C and 7 others like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Right, I was enjoying the film but feeling a sense of dread as Charlie's minions were getting closer and closer.

Tim S, a customer, clhboa and 14 others like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

So, how about that flamethrower? I get the feeling there was a missing scene in the 4 hour version where Leo's character revealed that he still had it. That was sort of hinted at in the film where he was talking to an interviewer and revealed a surprising depth of knowledge about the operation of one of the deadliest weapons of World War II (to both the target and the operator.)

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought the other was also a spoiler thread ( now). :)

Mazzy, BZync and Ghostworld like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Maybe the Gorts can move some of the spoilery ones from the other thread to this one?

SunSon likes this.
  7. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I posted this hidden over there.

I have no problem with Tarantino rewriting history, especially with Manson and Hitler I don't give a flying F how much crap he can throw on them.
    I love it when a movie can transport me to a different world. The ending with Rick meeting Sharon put the biggest smile on my face that I haven't had for years.

The Manson thing turned out okay in the movie. When I first heard about the movie last year I was dreading that QT was going to glorify Manson for some '60's trip thing. I'd like to shake his hand now.
    I remember QT saying that at the German screenings of Inglourious Basterds that the German audience felt like it was the first time they could laugh at Hitler and cheer him being burned to death.
    I felt like that yesterday when Rick and Sharon met.

8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Someone in the other thread mentioned that it seemed like a lot was cut and that's why they added the narrator, maybe you?
    I did find it a little annoying when it started and a big cut does seem very likely.

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agree that it was jarring when the narrator started telling the story of the Italy trip. Not even Tarantino has the clout to put a four-hour film in cinemas, although it sure seems as if he filmed enough material to do so.

Geordiepete, SunSon and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

if I remember correctly there is a scene earlier in the film where the inside of the poolhouse shed is seen and you can see the flamethrower sitting in the shed. anyone recall that? maybe when pitt's character goes to fix the satellite on the roof or whatever?

11. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Overall, I like the idea that QT didn't lean hard on the Manson dogma. It was nice to see a Manson-related film that wasn't about Helter Skelter, race wars, Beatles-as-prophets or any of that nonsense. That crap only existed within the brains of two dozen denizens of Spahn Ranch. Out in the real L.A, people were living their lives, going to the beach, cruising in convertibles, going to school, making films and music and carrying on like nothing culture-shattering was going to happen on August 9. Yes, there probably were a few aging actors worrying about their careers and relying on the bottle to comfort them. Those things are real. Up until August 8, 1969 life in L.A. was probably pretty good and carefree. It was interesting to see it played out that way in the film.

12. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

No I don't remember seeing it in the shed but that doesn't mean it wasn't shown, I'm taking my wife to see it on Friday and I already have a long list of things to look out for.

Gave me a good laugh, no satellites on rooftops in 1969:righton:

13. Matthew Tate

it was an antenna then. yeah keep an eye out to see if the show it sitting on the shed floor at some point before the end

Stormrider77 and SunSon like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

It was a pretty screwed antenna. I remember looking at that and thinking "I hope there's not a channel 2 in Los Angeles, because that element is toast."

15. Matthew Tate

lol it was badly beaten up

anyways I hope we get a confirmation that the flamethrower was shown earlier in the shed on the floor

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I saw it when Pitt went in there to get the tools to fix the antenna. I knew it was there for a reason.

18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

19. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

I saw it immediately too. First occurrence of Chekhov's Flamethrower in the history of film! :winkgrin:

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m not sure why Tarantino couldn’t have told the tale of an aging Western star trying to stay afloat in late 1960s Hollywood without tying it into the Manson murders. Rick could have crossed paths with Elvis Presley or Dennis Hopper or any number of other characters from the era, yet he crosses paths with the Manson family. Whether Once Upon A Time In Hollywood glorifies Manson and his followers or not, it continues to give them what they want and what they’ve been getting since 1969 - notoriety and publicity.

Lee Davis, jdrueke, willwin and 4 others like this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Most of the Manson Family have either wound up in prison or are dead. The most ardent supporters of Manson were Fromme (who has died) and Sandra Goode (who has disappeared).

Krenwinkel and Van Houten have repeatedly renounced their allegiance to Manson and are old women now. They are up for parole every so often and get denied. Susan Atkins is dead and Watson is serving a life sentence and has become a pastor in prison.

In short, not much of the Manson Family is left and those that are probably want to distance themselves from it as much as possible. There’s no “glorifying” it especially with Manson being dead himself.

22. ManFromCouv

When you're going to die in prison, I don't think publicity does anything for you. In fact, in the parole-hearing process it actually works against them.

23. ManFromCouv

Fromme is still alive. She wrote her book of the Manson years in 2018.

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Also, not sure why I got called out in the other thread for revealing a “spoiler” (which I pretty much didn’t) and others are revealing way more and nobody is crying over that.

Harrumph.

BZync and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Huh, I thought she was dead.

She was released from prison due to medical reasons, but I thought she had died. She was actually housed in Ft. Worth for several years.

Thanks for the correction.

Matthew Tate and ManFromCouv like this.