‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Tarantino's Next

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Olompali, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Hateful 8 was a letdown for me, I wanted to love it and all the pieces were there, but it didnt seem to go anywhere new and the writing just fell flat.

hi_watt and bopdd like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tarantino's cameo was a bad idea.
    And Fox wasn't charismatic enough.

Lightworker likes this.
  3. alexpop

Goggins was a joy to watch. The film itself begs repeat viewings, but The Hateful 8 wasn't a commercial success like Inglorious Basterds, which I know QT will want to rectify with Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I felt like a three hour theater play, that was shot in a ridiculous wide format for no good reason. And throw in some gory violence just for the hell of it. The only QT movie I've just seen once. A major let down

trumpet sounds likes this.
  5. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Tarantino did an interview where he was equating himself to P.T. Anderson and Nolan with bringing back 70 mm and "misusing the tools".

The thing is that they didn't with Dark Knight/Inception/Interstellar/Dunkirk and The Master. The outdoor and indoor shots were interwoven and close-ups were used in an amazing way that served the story.

I feel Django deserved 70 mm more than Hateful 8. Other than a few outdoor shots, the interior had a lot of wasted frame.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood may be his most over the top indulgence. With the death of editor Sally Menke his films have suffered incredibly. He needs her to tell him when to pull back by cutting (and I bet the "hi Sally's were annoying".

The drop in quality is apparent. A bunch of big name actors won't save poor execution and overblown excess. Everytime I see him BS ing with the actors it makes me cringe. Sooner or later the business in Showbusiness has to be present even if the box office hasn't shown the dip in quality it in a big way yet.

6. alexpop

There's a Tarantino poll still going, Pulp Fiction came out top, low votes for inglorious b, H8.,+ Kill Bill to.

7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I loved it on first viewing and seen it 2 times after & to me it just keeps getting better.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  8. alexpop

A man of wealth and taste.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  9. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

This quote reminds me of a member on another forum that would always say "thank you for your honesty" only when you agreed with him.

10. alexpop

Courtesy is dying out, more power to him. :D

Lightworker likes this.
  11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Courtesy in only complementing people that agree with you? Courtesy is only agreeing with you in the first place? Sorry, just confused about giving power or encouraging that mentality.

When I say "you" I am making a general statement. This is not taking it to a personal level. Sorry if it comes off that way.

12. alexpop

Thank you for your honesty.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

There were a couple of questions in there. Is this more of that "courtesy".;)

14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I think that this might be the hottest thing I have ever seen !

15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

But he’d already retreated into self-indulgence with Kill Bill 1 and 2, with one film becoming 4.5 hours spread across two films and made with Menke.

16. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I read that Tarantino read Jennifer Lawrence but it didn't work out. I am betting she wanted Sharon Tate, but honestly, I can see her more as that Folger chick instead if it ever went that deep. If they showed even the aftermath that would be so memorable.

I don't think the movie was self indulgent at all. It was a good story and it was told masterfully. Menke no doubt played a hand in that editing process that would have other wise been a disaster of having a 4.5 hour thing in one sitting??!!!

17. alexpop

Wonder in the film if she picks up some hitchhiker dude?

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yes. He takes one look at those legs and her Ferrari and says "No thanks, I'm going a little further than you are."

Chris from Chicago and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

In the Gadda da Vida ..baby. :laugh:

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

:p

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Our host mentioned hitching in '69, was it that so easy? Any other members here stick their thumb out for ride. Where would be the best spots ( L.A. is a great big freeway)to get spotted/picked up?

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm ready!

23. alexpop

Do you think there will be a Kill Bill 3?

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Tarantino has other stories to tell first, but anything is possible. I could actually see a Kill Bill TV series if he goes to Netflix (which I've heard from quite a few sources).

25. alexpop

That would be interesting, though it would maybe detract from the original film(s). Then again didn't harm Fargo.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.