Once Upon A Time In The West

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gardo, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

Anyone seen the new DVD? Comments?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I picked it up at lunch. Do you want me to watch the DVD this evening or listen to my 20th Century Masters Rare Earth CD. You are sure keeping me busy today, Gardo. ;)

BTW, my initial purchase had a loose, scuffed, disc one, so I replaced it. The replacement also had a loose disc one. I would advise others to double check yours before you drive away with it.

Regards,

3. Gardo

Tough choice, Ken.:p Me, I've got a threeway showdown between OUATITW, The Two Towers, and a son with a geometry test on Wednesday. The latter means that I can't watch either movie with the volume at anything like a truly satisfying level. Such a price for parenting and academic success!

Thanks for the tip about the loose disc, too. I'm very tired of finding scratches on a loose disc when I get home. I do wish the case mfrs. would find a happy medium between disc damage caused by loose or broken spindles and disc damage caused by trying to pry the darned discs off a too-tight hub. I can dream, can't I?

And don't think I'll be forgetting that Rare Earth CD, either.

:)

4. Ken_McAlinden

The case itself is more than capable of holding the disc and withstanding reasonable jostling when the disc is placed on the spindle properly. I think it must have been a manufacturing problem where the disc was not put in the case with enough force to lock it in place.

BTW, I'm looking at TTEE, OuaTitW, Bruce Springsteen Live in Barcelona, and Let it Be ... Stark Nakers over the next couple of days. Oh yeah, and where did I put that Rare Earth CD?

Regards,

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I forgot all about Once Upon A Time In The West while out this morning. Gonna have to run out to BB later (best price?) and snag a copy.

6. Gardo

BB's got it (actually, I have it now:D ) for 14.99. This movie is one of my all-time faves; I can't wait to get it home and take a look. I am amazed that a fairly deluxe 2-disc set sold for such a low price. I ain't complainin' though.

Full of himself part:

This past weekend I presented a paper at the Literature/Film Association Conference in Maryland (I presented on Song of the South, inspired in part by some of the discussions in this forum), and I met a fellow named John Fawell (FAY-well) who's just finished a book on OUATITW. His presentation was on the complex relationship between John Ford westerns and Sergio Leone westerns. He did a very smart analysis of the way OUATITW parodies several moments in The Searchers at the same time that it pays a kind of loving tribute to the earlier film, particularly in the centrality of family. Cool stuff.

7. Ken_McAlinden

I watched it last night. If you like this film, buy it. Scratch that. Buy it twice. It is a great presentation. I haven't watched any of the extras yet aside from parts of the commentary. There's lots of good stuff in the commentary, but by the end, Christopher Frayling lapses into narrating the on-screen action like a descriptive video service track.

Regards,

8. Gardo

I watched the first 40 minutes or so last night and I agree with you completely, Ken. The picture is breathtaking in color, clarity, and sharpness without any distracting edge enhancement that I could see. Very three-dimensional presentation. The enhanced mono soundtrack was a little aggressive at times on the headphones (haven't heard it on the speakers yet) but that matches my memory of the way the soundtrack sounded in the theater. Haven't sampled the commentary yet but I'm looking forward to it.

With a transfer like this, those extreme closeups assume a truly terrifying power.

Wow.

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I will guess you gents are correct. Should have been in last nite's package with the Beatles, Lennon and GH, but spaced it.

The very finest of the 'spaghetti westerns'........

ED:cool:

10. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I bought this one last night, but only got to watch the first five minutes or so before ehading out to the theater to see MASKED AND ANONYMOUS (an allegorical masterpiece). I listened to the 5.1 soundtrack. The picture looks great -- very three-dimensional, as you said --- but all I can say for the 5.1 soundtrack right now is that the windmill sounds great.:)

11. Ken_McAlinden

...and that's only half of the opening credit sequence. :)

Regards,

12. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Yeah, I'm anxious to hear the harmonica in 5.1:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.