One CD compilation of Load/Reload

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

The year is 1996.
    Metallica basically have all the songs from Load and Reload ready. You're producing the sessions, and they need to come up with one single 76 minute album.

What songs do you pick for a single CD "Load"?

phantomime likes this.
  2. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I started a thread like this a while back, speculating on Load as a hypothetical single double-album, which I think would have worked better... plus, recording it on analog tape, getting a more organic feel and sound to it, and not piecing it together via Pro-Tools would have helped too.

The Doctor likes this.
  3. The Doctor

Piecing it together via Pro-Tools? It seems like a lot of the recording was organic though...I mean the 1995 demos from Lars' Dungeon don't sound all that different from the album cuts...Only differences being James playing the solos, so his solos were overdubbed onto the record....

4. The Doctor

?

5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Who are you, the Riddler ;)...?

I can't speak for the demos - never heard them - but I do know for a fact that Bob Rock meticulously pieced the many performances/takes together in the studio via Pro-Tools to create a 'perfect take'... not that it's some kind of abhorrent anomaly in music or that there's anything inherently wrong with doing it that way, but for a set like Load/ReLoad which Lars said at the time he wanted to sound "greasy", both recording and splicing together digitally is not exactly conducive to getting that organic 'classic rock' sound and feel that 'Tallica were obviously going for on those albums.

Playing together in the studio, recorded to analog tape, both albums reduced to a single double-album, and Load would have been up there with Physical Graffiti...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  6. The Doctor

The solos are James.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Ain't My Bitch" 5:04
    "Fuel" 4:29
    "The Memory Remains" 4:39
    "Until It Sleeps" 4:28
    "King Nothing" 5:29
    "Hero of the Day" 4:21
    "Poor Twisted Me" 4:00
    "The Outlaw Torn" 10:40 (full length)

8. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

OK, I'll play. I quite liked Load, not so much Reload, but haven't listened to either for years. But as I've got my ipod here, let's see what I put on.....

Bleeding Me
    Cure
    Fuel
    Hero Of The Day
    King Nothing
    Ronnie
    The Memory Remains
    The Outlaw Torn
    The Unforgiven II
    Until It Sleeps
    Wasting My Hate

Thread Status: