One Day at a Time. I hate it but can't stop watching (Discussion of 2017 reboot added at page 5)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Keith V, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that was known at the time? wow...I had no clue, but then again I was twelve. I thought the show was funny but its one of the rare ones I never revisited so my former opinion is intact, unlike welcome back kotter whch hasn't aged well, at all

3. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Oh yeah, MASH was a definite favorite. It's funny, but I never really thought of it as a sitcom because even in the earlier, funnier years it still had that subtext that this was a war and bad things were happening, at least off screen.

MikaelaArsenault and seed_drill like this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, she was unconscious on the street once, IIRC. The attention was constant, carried/thrown out of clubs, outbursts at reporters and fans, and then she was so strung out when filming American Graffiti 2 that her part was re-written on the fly into a handful of lines and maybe a minute of screen time.

5. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I vaguely remember Bonnie Franklin once being on a PSA-type commercial in the early 80s that was highly condescending. Kind of like when Ed Asner did those "Prejudice is something America can do without" PSA's.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I dropped One Day before the new cast members, never was big on Three's Company, but watched so much Alice I actually watched Flo.

7. the pope ondine

who doesn't like vic tayback! I haven't seen alice in years

8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I haven't read thru this entire thread, so I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not: On the show "Family Guy", Brian (the dog) tunes into watch a program on PBS only to find it preempted by a "One Day at a Time" marathon... He hates it at first, but by the time the family tries to get a hold of him, he's well into the show and loving it...

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

IMO the reboot is pretty good; Justina Machado is a very appealing actress. I wasn't a huge fan of the original. Anything to keep Rita Moreno acting is ok by me.

MikaelaArsenault and Torontotom like this.
  10. the pope ondine

.....honestly I just remember Schneider constantly barging into the apartment....and Bonnie Franklin talking to herself in the mirror. that and I had the requisite crush on Valerie B (was just watching her on battle of the network stars 1977 or 78 , I might have a problem!)

MikaelaArsenault and zebop like this.
  11. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I haven't watched the show since its original airing. But, wasn't it a running gag that Schneider always cracked open a beer when they showed him in his apartment?

12. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

One thing I took from Schneider & still love using it today is "Always remember & don't ever forget".
    I was a regular viewer of "Battle Of The Network Stars" & never missed an episode with Valerie Bertinelli (Major crush too!). One of the teen magazines at the time did a story about "BOTNS" & had a nice page size picture of Valerie. I saved the magazine for years but it was destroyed in a flood. Thank goodness the picture can be found on the web!
    [​IMG]

13. the pope ondine

:edthumbs:

ahhh the 70's! she killed the obstacle course too (theyre all on youtube if you ever get bored)

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Annette Funicello of the 70's. The girl next door. Just look at that smile.

Someone I know who used to go see VH said Dave used to say all sorts of lustful comments about Valerie in live shows

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

If you have the channel Logo you can catch several episodes each afternoon. Man, I didn't know it went all the way until '85, I thought it ended in '82.

Keith V likes this.
  16. the pope ondine

ill have to check it out.. I remember Alices kid became more prominent as it went along....and did the get a new Flo?

Keith V likes this.
  17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hate the fact that I know this, but Flo was replaced by Belle, Belle was replaced by Jolene (who was horrible).

the pope ondine likes this.
  18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

This show was unwatchable.

Even with Valerie.

[​IMG]

Pete Puma likes this.
  19. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I think the Jeffersons went until 1985, too, which amazes me because Amen started soon after in '86. I always thought that Sherman Hemsley had been off the air for several years when he had his comeback with Amen.

20. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

At least the Jeffersons was pretty tolerable until the end.

The Slug Man and The Panda like this.
  21. the pope ondine

true, and they kept the core till the end (pretty much)

22. the pope ondine

sidenote: I remember liking Richard Masur on the show, played Bonnies ex hubby or bf? I dont think he lasted long, also played a great baddie in Who'll Stop the Rain

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

24. the pope ondine

flashback city.....ps is it "up on your feet"? or "whaap on your feet"?

Keith V likes this.
  25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lol. It’s “whapp” of course

the pope ondine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.