"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

P.S......Dallas Frazier also wrote Big Boss Man and Elvira which he also had a solo hit with.

2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

#45 - Hmmm. This can't possibly be about Menudo. Seriously, if I'm right, Gold star. Just can't find a reference to drinking while recording.

3. Oldies trivia guy

Although it doesn't qualify as a One Hit Wonder, most people don't know that Dallas Frazier wrote and first recorded "Elvira" in 1966. I saw him perform it as part of a "Shower of Stars" tour.

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Dallas Frazier also wrote Charlie Rich’s 60s pop hit “Mohair Sam.”

troggy and John B Good like this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

He also wrote There Goes My Everything which was a big Country Hit for Jack Greene. Englebert brought it to the Top 20.

6. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Question #45: Gold star (I think)

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Re "Alley Oop":

It was also a Top 20 hit for a different one-hit wonder, Dante and the Evergreens.

troggy likes this.
  8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm assuming this song, both versions, would have been Flintstone influenced.

9. John B Good

The only group that even comes to my mind with this clue seems not to have made the Top 40.

10. Oldies trivia guy

Wow! What a senior moment! About 15 minutes before I posted yesterday's answer, I had been listening to Charlie Rich's "Big Boss Man". When I was typing out the post, my mind said "Mohair Sam" but my fingers heard "Big Boss Man". I don't recall who wrote "Big Boss Man". Maybe Jimmy Reed? How embarrassing. :hide:

11. tim_neely

More likely, it was inspired by the long-running comic strip Alley Oop, which debuted in 1932 and is still around today.

The Flintstones
    made its debut in September 1960, which is interesting timing considering when "Alley Oop" was a hit (also 1960). But everything I've read about the song says that Dallas Frazier wrote the song in 1957.

12. John B Good

Yes, that makes sense (tho I personally don't remember the comic strip.)

13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I can think of two candidates for #45, but I’m not sure which is correct, or if either is.

I’m giving myself a provisional Gold Star if the one I think is the more likely candidate proves to be correct.

14. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

#45 - my guess would be Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs, but the most "drunk"-sounding record I can think of is "Double Shot Of My Baby's Love" by The Swingin' Medallions. I doubt they were Latino though.

15. Oldies trivia guy

Sam the Sham was not a One Hit Wonder nor were they all Latino. "Double Shot" was already featured a few weeks ago. But thanks for labeling your post as a guess.

16. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION .....

11/2/18

This Latino groups hit also featured inebriated people in the studio.

"Farmer John" / Premiers
    Warner Bros. Records #19 1964

From East L.A., The Premiers were George Delgado, Johnny Perez, Larry Perez, Phil Ruiz, Joe Urzua and Frank Zuniga. The unruly crowd sounds in the background gave the impression that it was a "live" recording. In reality they brought in a bunch of friends to "whoop it up" a bit. They were a little too much into the spirits.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

NEW QUESTION......

11/3/18

This song was controversial in some markets and one of the members was formerly with The Left Banke.

Please choose from the answer options above........

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Well, I was completely off the mark for #45. Don't believe I've ever even heard it before.

#46 seems obvious, so a provisional Silver star.

18. John B Good

I remember that one very well, I put it in the same bag as Newbeats, 4 Seasons etc.

I had the original version from the 50s by Don and Dewey on a cd at one time.

DON & DEWEY - FARMER JOHN [Specialty 659] 1959

19. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Alley Oop is a syndicated comic strip created in 1932 by American cartoonist V. T. Hamlin, who wrote and drew the popular and influential strip through four decades for Newspaper Enterprise Association. Hamlin introduced an engaging cast of characters, and his story lines entertained with a combination of adventure, fantasy, and humor.

Alley Oop, the strip's title character, was a sturdy citizen in the prehistoric kingdom of Moo. He rode his pet dinosaur Dinny, carried a stone war hammer, and wore nothing but a fur loincloth. He would rather fight dinosaurs in the jungle than deal with his fellow countrymen in Moo's capital and sole cave-town. Despite these exotic settings, the stories were often satires of American suburban life.

The first stories took place in the Stone Age and centered on Alley Oop's dealings with his fellow cavemen in the kingdom of Moo. Oop and his pals had occasional skirmishes with the rival kingdom of Lem, ruled by King Tunk. The names Moo and Lem are references to the fabled lost continents of Mu and Lemuria.

On April 5, 1939, Hamlin introduced a new plot device which greatly expanded his choice of storylines: A time machine was invented by 20th-century scientist Dr. Elbert Wonmug, who bore a rather suspicious resemblance to the Grand Wizer. The name Wonmug was a bilingual pun on Albert Einstein; "ein" is German for "one", and "Stein" is a type of drinking mug in addition to being the word for "stone". Oscar Boom is derived from the words Nobel Prize, Oscar = Prize and Boom after Alfred Nobel (the inventor of dynamite).

Alley Oop - Wikipedia

20. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Well it's not "Christmas with The Devil' by Spinal Tap as that didn't chart. I've got another idea though, so Silver Star.

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

Finally, I get another gold star for #46!

That's at least three! Or maybe two ...

22. tim_neely

Gold Star for #46.

Their hit song was a cover. If anything, the original version is more hard-hitting.

23. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Question# 46---Gold star. I can't be wrong about this one....or can I?

I was wrong on question# 45. I thought it was Cannibal & the Headhunters and "Land of 1000 Dances". Maybe that one was actually recorded live and not with a bunch of drunks in the studio. This would mainly pertain to the longer version of the single with the intro section that was cut off on later pressings.

24. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I meant#46

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Got my Gold Star on #45, and definitely have one on #46 (although I'll have another of my PIA caveats when the answer is given!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.