"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't recall ever hearing Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love) up here in the '60s but I do recall She Drives Me Out of My Mind getting some airplay. Both pretty good songs!

2. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  3. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

similar songs (Just Like) Romeo And Juliet by The Reflections #6
    follow up was Like Columbus Did #96

bluemooze and John B Good like this.
  4. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

5. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks...I think it's evident, as in the case of "Double Shot", the follow up tunes, although good songs, favor the original hit a little too much.

6. Oldies trivia guy

Don't overlook today's question on the previous page...

7. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

since we now have the answer...
    Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
    In need of a
    B-side, Leka and DeCarlo resurrected an old song from their days as the Glenwoods, "Kiss Him Goodbye", with their old bandmate, Frashuer.
    "I started writing while I was sitting at the piano going 'na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na'... Everything was 'na na' when you didn't have a lyric." Gary added "hey hey"

maybe we can have a thread "throwaway B-sides that became hits"
    :D

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't know. I did a little googling to see if either The Big Bopper or Walter Brennan could possibly be the singer but see I am totally off-course with them. I have very fond memories of Old Rivers.

9. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I like this song.

As I mentioned in my reply, there was a significant pressing plant difference with 1959 editions of "So Fine." The styrene copies pressed by Columbia (ZTSP starts the matrix number on the label) has a short piano intro that was snipped from those pressed by other companies. On CD, I think the piano-intro is most prevalent, but I haven't really studied it.

Gold star! It's a beautiful song, too.

I remember seeing this guy in a national TV commercial a few years after his hit, but before his untimely passing (obviously).

After his biggest pop hit, which also got to #33 on the country charts, he became known a bit in C&W circles for a live novelty with a bird in the title.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  10. John B Good

Love this song, which I do remember. In the cd era, as far as I know, it has only appeared on a Treasured Tunes VA series of cds. I've looked at a cd by the Reflections themselves, but the price and the song titles didn't encourage me to explore it.

I find definitions of Doo wop to be hard to grasp, but I do feel this song Romeo and Juliet would not have been out of place on the Rhino Doo Wop box sets.

John54 likes this.
  11. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

on several CD comps
    The Reflections (2)

John B Good likes this.
  12. Oldies trivia guy

Now that you mention it, I think I remember that commercial also.

13. Oldies trivia guy

Answer from yesterday......

9/27/18

This story-telling, banjo-picking, folkie-cum-country man died in a plane crash after his hit.

"Daisy A Day"/ Jud Strunk

MGM Records #14 1973

Your comments about this song are appreciated....

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have four choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to take the time to research the answer, simply post "SILVER STAR", with the same criteria as in #1.

3. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

4. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

NEW QUESTION......

9/28/18

THIS ARTIST MET A COUSIN OF ELVIS IN 1954 AND MET THE FUTURE KING. THEY JAMMED A LITTLE AND "E" INTRODUCED HIM TO SAM PHILLIPS, WHO RECORDED HIM,BUT THE SONGS WENT NOWHERE. LATER HE MET SAM SAMUDIO (sam the sham) WHO WAS OFFERED THIS SONG BY ANOTHER RECORD COMPANY. SAM TURNED IT DOWN SO THEY LET THIS ARTIST RECORD IT "JUST BECAUSE HE WAS THERE".

Please answer with one of the above choices.

14. tim_neely

Re Jud Strunk:

The novelty country song he made was called "The Biggest Parakeets in Town," which sounds like a Dr. Demento delight:

15. John B Good

Wow, long time since I've heard that. Very sweet song, not maudlin at all.

I don't think I've ever come across it on a VA cd. Voice and song make me think of Glen Yarbrough and Tom T Hall.

Sad to think that he was cut down very young. :(

Way off track, but I wonder if anyone else could have Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road come to mind when they hear his name. Or is that just my wild lateral-thinking allusiveness. :)

16. Oldies trivia guy

Sounds reasonable since Dead Skunk and Daisy were on the charts at the same time.

John B Good likes this.
  17. Oldies trivia guy

Thanks for sharing this one...LOL

18. Oldies trivia guy

And, the current question is a novelty song also.

19. tim_neely

Silver star, I think. Had no clue what it was until some creative googling dug it up.

If it's what I think it is, 45s of the song can be found with two different label credits. Sone of them simply credit him by his first and last name; others add a nickname to his credit.

John B Good likes this.
  20. Oldies trivia guy

It sounds like you are correct.

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Was it a monster hit?

John B Good likes this.
  22. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Jed Strunk's "Daisy a Day" appears on Rhino's "Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day" Volume 11.

John B Good likes this.
  23. Oldies trivia guy

Close to it.

24. tim_neely

No, but it wouldn't be out of place with it.

25. John B Good

Wow, I think I have one, with those 3 remarks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.