One last thing about Beatles For Sale (Y/B Parlophone)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Everything Steve, Todd, Arin and everyone else said about this pressing of the album is true... you just haven't heard it until you get an original Parlophone copy.

I just received a stereo copy in EX+ shape (that's VG+ in American grading terms), and it just **sings**, folks.

Coincidentally, I also received a different mid-70's "2-box" pressing of the same album (but using the same "-1" masters, according to the dead wax), so I thought I'd have a shootout , to see if I could pick up any audible differences.

It was a quick shootout... the 60's vinyl stomped the 70's pressing with ease. The 70's pressing was good, but had nowhere near the amount of midrange and bass "cloud" frequencies that the original contained. Ringo's kick drum and the guitars got **noticeably** thinner on the 2-box version, as well.

I just thought I'd add my voice to the chorus of people that have spoken out about this... and believe me, you don't need some esoteric high-rez system to tell the difference-- my Dynaco set-up demonstrated it just fine!!

(And if your curious, and would like to read more on this subject, here's an earlier thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6124&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Happy hunting, folks!!

-Kevin

2. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Yeah I just got one yesterday! I think its a later 60's pressing. Its a Y&B but the record sleeve has advertising for other lps (it has purple printing) that include Sgt Pepper, Piper At The Gates of Dawn... The seller says its the original sleeve and I believe him as he described the lp perfectly. Its mint, looks unplayed, no spindle marks, and there was only maybe 2 or 3 clicks on the whole lp! And the other great thing is, I got it for about half of what others have been getting for similiar condition, on ebay no less. Still pricey but, what the hell...

For those curious about stamper info:

side 1 yex 142-1, 9 o'clock - 4, 3 o'clock - PD

side 1 yex 143-1, 9 o'clock 1 over 7, 3 o'clock - OL

(when I get a chance I'll have to look up what that means again, but I gotta run...)

Label matches what described on that yokono site, where he guess's '69 as the pressing.

Yeah, I'm happy!

3. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Great copy! Please do share what that mother configuration means. I've been trying to figure that out forever! By the way, it is indeed a 1969 pressing. :)

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Arin:

jkerr's copy (from what he describes) is one of the final 1969 yellow/black label pressings, without the "Sold in UK..." line.

Evidently, they didn't feel the need to re-cut the LP for some time... the mid-70's 2-box version I mentioned earlier was also a "-1".

-Kevin

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Thanks Joel...fixed it. Duh! I'm gettin' Parlophone thread burn-out. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.