One More Time: "True Mono" Carts vs. Mono Buttons/Y-Cables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 2xUeL, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher Thread Starter

Well here's the Grado quote from your conversation:

And here's the link to the original thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...rado-re-their-mono-carts.228295/#post-5816348

It actually seems pretty clear from this that the coil are realigned in those, and I'm fairly positive that both coils are aligned in the same way as the single coil in a true mono cart, per the following contributions to the conversation here, the first by hvbias (via Lyra's Johnathan Carr)...

...and the second by forum member Don Hills:

Anybody and everybody, correct me if I'm wrong on this, please!

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Thanks for reminding me! It's been a while...

I'd sure like to hear one of those mono Grados. (I'm presently using a Grado Signature 8MR with MCZ stylus on my TD-124/SME.)

2xUeL likes this.
  3. 2xUeL

At some point I'm going to do a thorough comparison of modern mono carts with summed stereo carts in a post on my blog, but that might not be for a while...

The FRiNgE likes this.
  4. Dude, you are hardcore. Well done.

THE WISERHOOD!.jpg

2xUeL likes this.
  5. 2xUeL

Thanks Rusty (PS: I get the "Wiserhood" reference ;) )

6. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

What is the consensus on the Ortofon 2M Mono?

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I don't have an opinion, but Fremer did review it on Analog Planet and seemed to like it a lot.

8. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

That was for the special edition. I'm trying to find out more about the "regular" Ortofon 2M Mono...

9. Luckydog

Luckydog Active Member

Surprised there's no mention on this thread of series wiring channels on a stereo cart for mono? That essentially becomes a true single coil lateral motion only mono cart, sounds bona fide and measures well IME. It's what I do when not using true mono carts. Need to look after MM loading though, as cart inductance/resistance doubles. It's preferable to both 'strapped' stereo carts and most mono buttons IME - great noise rejection and proper voicing without artifacts.

10. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

If you search for the other threads on mono pickups, you'll find we've been over this several times. It does work well, but IME it's very dependent on cartridge accuracy (especially channel phase matching) and sometimes on your phono preamp design as well.

11. Luckydog

Luckydog Active Member

Yes, what a different world it would be if we only had to say things once.....but I didn't catch those threads unfortunately. I would have commented that I don't see how 2-channel cartridge output can be anything other than phase aligned - there being only one stylus/cantilever and typically only one armature - plus there's no time delay in induction......so I don't get that one? Secondly, series wiring seems no more dependant on cartridge accuracy than 'strapping' or 'mono button summing' as I see it, no matter which way cancellation requires balance. In any event series connection surely deserves some mention in a reprise of the topic IMO ? I prefer it, though I agree one always has to take care of different preamp loading IME.

12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes, I have found this to be true, and have utilized a stereo cartridge for transferring mono to digital file. For this, I use an old Pioneer SA-500 which provides selection of Left mono, or Right mono (routed to reproduce L or R mono in both channels at the rec out jacks and to the amplifier section) As you know, and as well as most hifi enthusiasts know, many older preamps and integrated amps feature a L or R mono option, which is very useful. I apply this method only when groove wear is unequal. For an unworn groove, (or an almost equally worn groove on both groove walls) I obtain better results with strapped stereo. A true lateral single coil mono in this instance would be a wiser choice.

For simply listening, not everyone can be bothered with owning two or more turntables, or perhaps more than one headshell loaded with select stylus shape and size. But for serious archival purposes, a careful choice of strapped stereo, true mono, or Left channel mono, or Right channel mono, as needed, will produce more satisfying results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.