One of their most popular albums is one of your least favorites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Unbelievable. Maybe it's the more pop-oriented Stones fans.

LitHum05 likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

What albums would you recommend? I picked up two earlier albums cheap and was not impressed.

3. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Supertramp Breakfast in America- saw them on that tour- fantastic!
    But felt the Hits were overplayed and became irritating- I prefer the previous 3 LP's

Fullbug likes this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Aerosmith - Rocks. I just like Toys better.

5. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

[​IMG]

DTK and Fullbug like this.
  6. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Do Like a Prayer and Bedtime Stories not exist in your world? o_O

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

That's the one I was thinking of. In my mind, it was killed by overplay.

8. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

I'm pretty much a huge fan of everything they've ever done, and was lucky enough to do the mastering on the New Orleans Backwards album that came out a couple of years ago, but Horse Rotorvator has never really done it for me as much as the other main albums. I love Scatology, but in the world of Coil fandom, HR seems to get loads more praise. Anal Staircase was a 12" from HR (I have the original 12" release on clear vinyl).

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

"Desperate," the DiVinyls debut LP, has at least three (to me) fantastic songs:

"Boys in Town"
    "Siren"

and, one of the most powerful songs ever

"Elsie"

Another song on the album (following paragraph is from Wiki):

In May 2001, the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA), as part of its 75th Anniversary celebrations, named "Science Fiction" as one of the Top 30 Australian songs of all time. The band was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame in 2006.

The U.S. "Desperate" CD sounds fairly anemic, but the U.S. LP (though they were an Aussie band, they recorded, mixed and mastered the LP in the U.S.) sounds fantastic and shouldn't cost more than about $5.00.

I've seen, literally, at least 300 live shows... I'd list their show in 1983 as one of the 10 best I've ever seen. :agree:

When I heard their lame hit, "I Touch Myself" when it was released (about eight years later) I almost cried.

DTK likes this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Cool. I was about to see them opening for Simple Minds in '91, but they pulled out.

11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Apparently a lot of drug problems in that band... yeah, I know, but more so than most.

DTK likes this.
  12. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Otis Rush's Right Place, Wrong Time. Usually viewed as one of the best blues albums of the seventies. Just sounds like a humdrum Chicago shuffle album to me. I'd sooner go back to the early singles on Cobra and Duke; even the album on Cotillion, Mourning In The Morning (produced by Michael Bloomnfield & Nick Gravenites), was better.

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Led Zeppelin 4. (was played too much...)

14. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

The Division Bell used to be my favorite Pink Floyd album. But I realize now that my musical taste (at least in PF) was not as evolved as it is now. I still like the album, but I would have to put it somewhere near the bottom five. I guess that's the question here. Are we talking about subjective tastes, or the still not evolved taste of some who favor the "lesser" albums of some of these major bands. I'm not trying to stir trouble, but it does seem to be an issue (it was for me, at least, as there was a point at which I would have swore The Division Bell was the final word on Pink Floyd).

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Beatles - Pepper
    (Which still means I prefer it to albums by other rock acts)

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

Destroyer or Alive tend to be the most popular with KISS fans. Destroyer is also their biggest seller in the U.S. Worldwide I'm not sure it was their biggest seller, though. Dynasty might have an edge on it. And Unmasked is probably their biggest seller in Australia. Neither Dynasty nor Unmasked are fan favorites, though (except maybe for some Australian fans for the latter). The debut through Love Gun (so KISS, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed to Kill, Alive, Destroyer, Rock and Roll Over and Love Gun) are the albums that most commonly are seen at the top of fan rankings of their albums. After that batch, Creatures of the Night and Revenge have tended to be the most popular with fans.

17. Terrapin Station

That's the only sort of tastes there are. ;)

18. Terrapin Station

I like Blackstar, but I don't get the hype about it, either. The consensus opinion seems to be that it's the best thing he's done since Scary Monsters (or whatever the earlier album cut-off point is for a particular individual). I don't agree with that opinion at all. Earthling is his best latter-day album in my opinion, and I'd put that in my Bowie top 5 overall. I also love the Tin Machine albums. Blackstar is good, but in my opinion Heathen, The Next Day etc. are just as good.

19. Terrapin Station

I don't agree with this opinion--Exile is my #1 Stones album (though unsurprisingly my choices start to get weird immediately after--Their Satanic Majesties Request is my #2, for example, Black and Blue my #3)--but I've seen a number of people who feel that a lot of Exile is filler. And even the tunes that they don't see as filler--which some think would have better fit on an EP, they think aren't near as good as tunes like "Sympathy for the Devil", "Street Fighting Man", "Gimme Shelter", "You Can't Always Get What You Want", "Brown Sugar", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", etc.

20. Terrapin Station

Yeah, Never Say Die is my third-favorite Sabbath album, and I also like Technical Ecstasy a lot.

Wally Swift likes this.
  21. sami

sami Mono still rules

The first two to come to mind are Sgt. Pepper and Some Girls. Both were overplayed on radio, and neither was ever among my favorites by either band to begin with.

When I still listened to Springsteen a lot I would have included BITUSA.

22. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

This is exactly where they abandoned their artistic instincts, the quest, so apparent on Original Soundtracks and POP, to explore sound & texture, and instead gave in to the large machine behind them. Beholden, it seems they had to opt for business instead of art.

23. Terrapin Station

Yeah, I still check out new U2 releases, but their songwriting and arranging has gotten rather boring recently.

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Though I enjoy it more than their first two and probably Let It Be, Pepper doesn't do much for me, and I'm a fan of a lot of psychedelic music. It's immaculately crafted but strangely hollow to me, apart from "A Day in the Life".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.