Onions on Zep's Four Sticks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviathan, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to IV and the companion disc tonight and realized how much I don't care for Four Sticks. It just seems like a throwaway track that doesn't go anywhere.

IMO the fourth album would be perfect if not for that track.

I'm curious to see what people on here think of the song.

Discuss

2. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Love it!

Scott

DiabloG and ConnieGuitar like this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Onions? White globe, red globe, ebenezer, vedalia, green onions...:help:

Gorts, please fix the title to:

Opinions on Zep's Four Sticks

Yes, I like Four Sticks

4. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

I love listening to Bonzo's count-in on the Companion Disc.

5. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

I think it's great and has a cool vibe.

Zep IV is the rare perfect album.

gd0, junk, #OneOccupation and 3 others like this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's not a bad track at all, not the most memorable thing though (and on a record filled with Rock'N'Roll, Stairway, When The Levee Breaks...there's going to be a dud!). There's usually one track like that on every Zep record.

7. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

its their least accessible song on IV and therefore when youre tired of the Lp being overplayed this is where you go. It really is a weird track with no real precedents so its pretty unique and yes I DO LOVE IT!

DiabloG, jon9091 and vonwegen like this.
  8. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I love it. It's got a cool middle eastern vibe to it.

9. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident Thread Starter

For the people that do like the song: do you like it more than any of the other tracks on the album? If so which?

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Back when I first got into Led Zeppelin (when my ears were fresh and my mind was blank in regards to music and musical influence) and I considered them one of my favourite bands, if not the favourite, I used to think "Four Sticks" was the best song on the album and the album in turn was my favourite of theirs, so I guess "Yes" is my answer.

What I liked about it then first of all was that the main riff was so relentlessly heavy, as it was pounding away, droning, monotonous, hypnotic and odd-metered. The drumming style adds to both the heavieness and the drone-like qualities, and I still think that riff is hard to beat in the heavy/sludgy department. I also secondly really liked the mystical atmosphere and the odd scales used in the (let's call it) bridge-section. Similar sounds are also found in "Friends" and what Page sometimes plays live during "Dazed & Confused", and these aspects influenced me a lot in my musical thinking as a guitar player (I was just starting to learn guitar in roughly the same timeframe as I got into Zeppelin).

Nowadays I am not so sure if I would rate the song as highly among their songs and I also don't listen to Led Zeppelin very much overall (burned out), even if I still like them, but it has definitely left it's stamp on me.

I also think it has some archetype examples of Robert Plant vocals. I always think about this song when I hear Jeff Buckley's singing, wonder if he was a fan?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Jonboy, Rhett and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Don't like it, I love it. Personally, I'd rate it higher than "Misty Mountain Hop"...maybe "Battle of Evermore", depending on my mood. Heck, maybe even "Going to California".

The song is taut and evocative, spooky high drama. Lots of dynamics. Plant's vocals are a tour de force. What's not to love?

anthontherun and bonus like this.
  12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Seems like a great song to me.

13. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Love the way it starts out.
    The rest not so much.

14. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Weakest song on IV and the only one I'm occasionaly inclined to skip.

15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Give me the "Four Sticks" but hold the onions.

jdrueke, ParloFax, dee and 3 others like this.
  16. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

better then "going to california" imho... so it's the seventh best song on a near perfect album...

17. Does the thread title refer to how it makes the O.P. cry when he hears that cut on the album??? haha

Good track - can't pick a favorite or rank them in any order. I am a little tired of hearing "Stairway..." - that's the track that I'll usually skip on the album...

bonus likes this.
  18. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

One of the best cuts on the record in my opinion.

jon9091 likes this.
  19. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Love it, especially the drumming. Actually not the easiest song to play!

junk and gstring like this.
  20. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

One of my favourite Zep tunes. A 10 out of 10. It's such a high tension, haunting tune, with evocative imagery ("When the owls fly in the night...."), that it's hard not to get drawn right in to that very dark and gloomy place. Page's amazing tunings and judicious use of acoustic rhythm layering; Plants tortured vocal; and Bonham's four drum sticks keeping a torrid pace and clicking against each other on every strike. This song is amazing, and one that needs to be dissected by the listener to really see what a fundamentally haunting and well crafted piece of music it is.

junk, Murph, ParloFax and 6 others like this.
  21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I agree with Murph. It's a great track, and one of the things that set Zep apart from so many other bands was venturing off on these types of tangents. It's brilliant.

Murph and Baby Driver like this.
  22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Excellent synopsis.

23. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

"Stairway to Heaven" and "Going to California". To me, GTC is the bathroom break song on this album. It's not a bad song, it just doesn't move me. STH, for years has sounded forced to me, a "we need to write an epic of our own" kind of song. Note that before this all the longer LZ songs were pretty much re-do's of other songs (the four 6+ minute tracks on their debut album, "The Lemon Song" from II, and less so "Since I've Been Loving You" on III), and STH continued the trend. You get to the album 'Houses of the Holy' and the longer songs borrow less heavily from others' compositions.

But IV wouldn't be the slice of awesomeness that it is without all 8 of those tracks.

24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I quite like Four Sticks very much:).

If you haven`t heard it already,check out the only known live performance of the song from Copenhagen Denmark May 3,1971 along with a great Gallows Pole.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I didn't even know someone was playing onions on Four Sticks. I think they sound great.

Rocker, showtaper and Baby Driver like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.