Onkyo C-7030 CD player skipping......

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Trevor_Bartram, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought the Onkyo in April 2012 to replace an 11 year old NAD C540 (which in turn replaced a 15 year old Denon 1500 MkII). Both the NAD and the Denon developed weak lasers and started skipping now it seems after just two years the Onkyo is going the same way.
    Earlier in the summer the Onkyo started to skip when you walked across the wooden floors, now is skipping with perfectly good CDs. I used my Philips lens cleaning CD and there is no improvement. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an inexpensive solution?
    Thanks, Trevor.
    P.S. I checked online and could fine no reference to C-7030 repair other than the laser is not replaceable, the drive has to replaced.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wonder if the jolting from walking across wooden floors has shortened the life of the transport. I was hoping to get five years out of this cd player. Transports today are made like disposible cameras.

3. Trevor_Bartram

Thanks for the reply. The NAD and Denon players were used in the same location so I don't believe it is the wooden floors (normal in N.E.) are responsible. I believe the CD drive laser is cheaply manufactured and that has resulted in a short life.
    I contacted Onkyo in the hope that, even though it is out of warranty, they will repair or replace. If I get no response from Onkyo I will contact Amazon. If I get no response from either I am wondering if I should buy a new NAD, as I prefer their sound but I am concerned about the long term reliability of a low sales volume product.
    I cannot put up with the jolting effect of skips so I am using my mid 90s vintage Panasonic A110 DVD player in the meantime, it no longer plays DVDs due a weak laser but the CD section is fine. The A110 has a more prominent midrange than I am rather enjoying after the rather lean Onkyo. The A110 does not play CDRs or MP3s though.
    Weak lasers appear to be a recurring theme thru this thread.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The problem is that almost all new transports are garbage. The new NAD might last two years as well. I guess we have to accept the fact that most new cd players have a life expectancy of about 5 years, depending on how much use they get.

I've had my 7030 for 3 years and it is still operating perfectly, but it does not get heavy use.

bhazen likes this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

This is disheartening; seems there's quite a few decent inexpensive CD decks out there (Onkyo, Teac etc.) but they're throwaway(?)... I'm looking for something inexpensive to replace my own Onkyo (transport failed after two years - someone mentioned it uses a cheap DVD tranny) but, when I investigate online they all have reliability issues... :(

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I find it odd Onkyo would spend a lot of money on the nice main transformer they put in the C-7030 and then save $20 or $30 for a cheap laser?

I've never had a CD player go bad, that's why I ended up with a large collection of them, I upgrade occasionally when the bug hits me.

I also find it a bit odd the OP now has 3 CD players that skip. Do you live in an area with brown outs or really dirty power?

bhazen likes this.
  7. Trevor_Bartram

Both the Denon and NAD were my main players and had a TON of use, so they died from old age. I believe the laser diode is one of the most highly stressed parts in a player, it is hard to heatsink something that has to be light and move fast.
    The Panasonic DVD player had a well known history of lasers dying early so I was not surprised when that started skipping on DVDs after a few years. I have had two $30 Sony DVD players since then and they are both still working fine and do not owe me anything.
    The fact that other owners of the Onkyo are not reporting skipping problems (either here or online) is a good sign, now I just need to fix my player, has anyone replaced the drive in the C-7030?

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

For what it costs to replace the laser drive, you probably could get a new unit. Seriously.

It is really a shame that there are nice sounding units out there that are being junked because of the laser drive. The other parts in those cd players would probably last decades.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  9. Trevor_Bartram

I emailed Onkyo twice during the week but got no reply so I called Onkyo again today and they will not budge and offer a replacement or repair. A new CD drive costs $80 but can only be bought by an authorized repair agent. A new C-7030 is down to $139 at Amazon making repair non cost effective except I will not buy Onkyo again on principle.
    I am an electronics engineer, so as a last ditch effort I disconnected the C-7030 from AC power and took the cover off and VERY CAREFULLY removed and reseated the connectors associated with the laser assembly, just in case a bad connection had developed, I put the unit back together and there is no improvement, it still skips. WARNING: THIS INVALIDATE WARRANTY AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS UNLESS YOU ARE USED TO WORKING ON MODERN ELECTRONICS AND ARE FAMILIAR WITH ESD PRECAUTIONS ETC.
    While I had the cover off I checked the part # of the Chinese CD drive. I could not find the part # listed on the internet.

That is it, I am done, I need to get on with my life, am back listening to the Panasonic A110 for the mean time and you know what, I compared both of them today and I prefer the midrange presentation of the A110 anyhow (I know "sour grapes" etc).

On a more positive note today I received the latest Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter (the one with the depression in the top where the pairing button is located) so I am no longer tied to the stereo by a cord I can roam. The Logitech gets great reviews, it sounds good, better than the headphone output on the old iPhone II and it has brightened my day.

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Can you post the build date of your C7030?

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Sorry Trevor about your player that sucks, No issues from mine, the click in the left channel when tracking finally went away

12. Trevor_Bartram

February 2012.

13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

OP oddly enough I'm in almost the same boat as you. Onkyo player started skipping and then just stopped working all together. Also built in 2012. Really enjoyed the sound previously. I suspect transport is to blame....

But what's really odd is my backup CD Player Dennon DCD (forget model number) is now skipping... As someone else posted of your situation its odd to have multiple CD players start skipping. Someone mentioned walking across wood floors would wear out the transport. Like OP, I have hardwood floors. My listening room is on the second story, so floor creeks more than first story. Is it really possible that this is what's wearing out OP and/or my players? Not sure if OP wishes to divulge more about living situation. But if its any help, my CD player is on a Salamander rack designed for music components. Electricity is good as far as I know. No issues anyway, all up to code per my good friend who is an electrician. Live with a cat in house.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I can't imagine that your floors are a problem, unless your dancing and jumping. In my experience, 2 years life on a cheap chinese transport isn't unusual, especially if you put thousands of hours on it.

15. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Good Question because there IS a pattern here over now, 3 different cd player and 3 different Manufactures.
    the beave

16. The Beave

No, here is what you do.
    Take the cover off-it's simple enough-and it's out of warranty anyway.
    Take a long medium head Philips screwdriver and see if any of the four screws holding the transport to the chassis are loose. I did have one of my first 3070's that did indeed have two of the transport screws loose, both took 1/4 to tightened up to snug.
    If they are all snug, and none are loose, and it's in good cosmetic shape, sell it to me for $25 for parts and buy a new one.
    the beave

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

wow. I'm reading about all those defective Onkyos and I am a bit worried. I have a C-S5VL SACD/CD player (manufactured in Malaysia) and so far is working flawlessly but mine too must have one of those cheap transports so I am waiting for the day it starts skipping :sigh:

18. The Beave

You buy These and be done with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JRL9WW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If your wood floor is causing the trouble, pretty much guaranteed to fix it.
    and at $28, a steel, I'm using them as the feet for my Refurbished Pioneer PL-518 and their incredible!!
    the beave

19. The Beave

Oh Marcel, it's only 2 players we're talking about here, out of thousands....so just stop worrying, go away and don't read this thread and your Onkyo will be fine.....:righton:
    Sheesh.......talk about Drama.........it's only 2 machines people, I've had 9 of them and not ONE failure.
    the beave

PH416156 likes this.
  20. The Beave

Trevor, try the transport screws and tell me if their snug.
    Now back to work, Lunch break is OVER!!
    the beave

21. The Beave

Being serious now Marcel. Buy these and use them on Your Onkyo:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JRL9WW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Set your player's feet on TOP of them (rounded side facing UP, flat side DOWN). You will never have to worry about vibration on the Onkyo ever again. Their that good.!
    the beave

PH416156 likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thats odd you couldn't find one. Im sure its somewhere on ebay. its probably a $6 part. Those drives are cheap as chips.

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ha ha, good advice. I'll avoid related-Onkyo threads from now on :D

Hey, thanks for that. Good price too :thumbsup:

24. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

My player is already shot. I've tried hooking it up in a different room. I'm wondering if I should use them on my next player as I plan to spend quite a bit on it. But if the shelves on my Salamander are already supposed to be isolating, not sure why I should need this too?

25. The Beave

The Sorbothane Feet are really something special. Sorta Like a nice Firm but soft Womans Breast. Really, not trying to be crude here. They are very good at what they do and the Pioneer 518 Turntable is like 20 pounds and there is NO acoustic feedback from my speakers, and the left speaker is like 2 feet away from the turntable. I've NEVER had a turntable setup that was so oblivious to acoustic feedback....NEVER. SO THESE WORK! Now, again, check those screws to make sure they are tightened down and get back to me. The 7030 is a solid machine so I don't want to see you walking away from it if there is something we can do here.
    the beave

niles300z, CBackley and PH416156 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.