Onkyo C 7030 CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Tullman

Tullman I prefer analog Thread Starter

Just picked one of these up for the garage system. My old player died so I needed something cheap. I picked up the Onkyo for $159. shipped. Just the price I was looking for. I really didn't want to spend $300 for a cd player.

The Onkyo is a nice sounding cd player that easily out performed my Oppo 970 for about the same price. Sure, the Onkyo doesn't do DVD or SACD, but I don't need that for the garage system.

If you are looking for a cd player in this price range I can easily recommend the Onkyo 7030. I am very happy this unit was available especially since Oppo is not making $150. units anymore.

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Forum Resident

Does anyone else have the Onkyo C-7030 and can comment on sound quality in comparison with other players?
    My NAD C540 has died and I'm looking for a player with similar sound quality.
    I looked for reviews of the C-7030 and other than Amazon could find nothing.
    Thanks, Trevor.

3. Trevor_Bartram

Bump

Hoping someone will see this.

4. Tullman

This cd player is good for under $200.00. I doubt you'll find a better cd player for this price.

Besides, this player isn't available anywhere that I could find.

5. soundboy

soundboy Forum Resident

It's out of stock at Vann's, but that's where I got mine.

I don't know how it sounds compared to NAD's CD players, but it sounds better than my Sony DVP-NS500V on CD....which is ancient by comparison.

6. Tullman

They sold out of these decks. I wonder if they will ever be available or they will come out with a new model # and charge more. We'll see....

The closest nad is a hundred bucks more. Maybe worth it, maybe not.

7. soundboy

soundboy Forum Resident

8. Mayidunk

Mayidunk New Member

If you have SACDs you might check out the Onkyo C-S5VL. $349 at Amazoon.com.

9. soundboy

soundboy Forum Resident

Based on what I'm hear, it's an excellent player.

10. Tullman

There is only 1 refurbished model left, not exactly the mother load.

The Marantz is $150. more than the Onkyo.

11. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Forum Resident

Vann's sometimes WILL haggle. I emailed them a month or so before the 7030 came out last spring and they quoted me a 'pre-sale' price of $189. The salesperson said they didn't know for sure when it's be available but I was the FIRST in their line !

I love my machine, it sounds really sweet. I can't give technical details other than it's got a Wolfson DAC converter and they're pretty good ! Listening to my new P. Collins 'target' Face Value and what dynamic range !!! Yeehaa !!!!

I replaced my 17 year old Onkyo 701 single tray as it began to misread some cdr's.

12. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Forum Resident

13. Trevor_Bartram

The C7030 is back in stock at Onkyo and Amazon. I've just ordered one, when I get it I'll report my findings.
    Regards, Trevor.

14. Doorbell

Doorbell Member

Great cd player. Played some of my scratched up CDs perfectly.

15. Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha Well-Known Member

A fine CD player indeed.

One of these days, I need to set up a shootout between its built-in DAC and my Harmon Kardon HK 3490's DAC.

16. Trevor_Bartram

Onkyo C7030 'burn in'

It arrived yesterday, after a brief listen, I must say it sounds good right out of the box, what a relief, I don't normally buy blind!!!!!
    Does anyone know if this player 'burns in' after a time? Should I put a CD on repeat for a day to burn the player in?
    This plays all the discs I own: CD, CDR, MP3, SACD (CD layer). It doesn't play DVDA but I don't have any of those.
    External build quality is very good. I won't remove the cover to look at internal build quality until it's out of warranty.
    Reading thru the manual, it has all the features I need and none that I don't.
    People that are spending a lot more ($100s, $1000s) need to listen to this player before making a decision. I'm impressed.
    Regards, Trevor.

17. Tullman

I plan on picking another on of these up as a spare. I just need some spare money.:D

18. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

Amazon had the Onkyo C-S5VL for $250 as a returned item being resold. I think its a great sounding player and does SACD stereo only.

It does have an annoyingly bright SACD/CD light on the front that lights up the room.....

19. Trevor_Bartram

After two weeks listening.....

I feel absolutely no need to revert to my excellent Panasonic A110 or pull out the NAD C540, which is on its last legs, the C-7030 is their equal or better in all ways.
    I hope this helps someone.
    Regards, Trevor.

ben_wood likes this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling Forum Resident

Would the c-7030 be a step up from my oppo bdp 80?

21. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Does this five coax inputs for the receiver or will it use optical? I had a Sony CD player that would do SACD and I had to run the 5 lines. I've changed receivers since then, and there isn't any room for that now.

22. marcel

marcel Alea Iacta Est

a rear pic of the C-S5VL

[​IMG]

23. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

No spending thousands here. I'm looking for a good deal, and this just might fit the bill. Thanks Trevor.

24. danner

danner Forum Resident

I just ordered one of these from Amazon, and I'm oddly excited about having a dedicated CD player again since my clunky five-disc changer died years ago. I've been almost exclusively spinning vinyl for the past few years, so this feels weirdly retro for me.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tell us what you think after giving it a listen.