Onkyo C 7030 CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Sep 11, 2011.

1. danner

danner Forum Resident

Got it all set up now. I just grabbed the first couple of CDs I saw to play while breaking down the box and packaging to put in the trash: Hot Rats and The Who Sell Out. Everything sounds great, but I'm trying to think of the best reference-quality disc in my collection to really test it out.

2. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I've had my eye on this player for awhile. Stupid question. Is there really that dramatic of a difference soundwise between different cd/dvd players?

3. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

I was just noticing this brand, good timing. Thanks for sharing. Back in the 90s, the only CD players I owned were cheap $40 Discman clones, so this should sound pretty good. And no lousy turntable motor hum to worry about, either.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know about dramatic, but differences are discernible and worthwhile.

T'mershi Duween and Jerryb like this.
  5. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I finally placed an order for the 7030. I'll have it Tuesday.

6. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I'm using the Onkyo c7030 as a transport into a Schitt Gungir DAC via Mogami coaxial cable. I didn't much care for the sound out of the rca outputs. It was nice but kinda dark and splatty. Hard to explain (I'm really picky about my digital sources) really. It didn't sound bad at all, but through the Gungnir, it sounds amazing. I highly recommend the Schitt!

The Onkyo is very well made. Feels substantial and looks great. Quiet and dependable so far. I wish they would have made the power cord removable, but that's a minor quibble.

A great bargain for such a nice player..

Jerryb likes this.
  7. Tullman

These players are going for $179. with free shipping on Amazon. I am tempted to pick up another one.

8. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I just ordered one for $179 but not from Amazon. Amazon now charges me tax. I saved roughly $12 on tax and got free shipping by ordering it elsewhere.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I recommended this player to a friend based on this thread. I visited him and listened to it used as a transport feeding the DAC inside a Peachtree Decco I sold him cheap a few years ago. Acts very nice as a transport, the sound is great. He doesn't have a spare analog input, so he hasn't listened to the analog outs.

10. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Got my 7030 today. So far so good.

11. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

How would you all describe the tonal balance of this player? Bright, neutral, or warm?

12. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I would say neutral.

bhazen likes this.
  13. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Very neutral but requires a good bit of burn in. It sounds good out of the box but great after a few hundred hours on it,

Jerryb likes this.
  14. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I do not need another CD player but this thread has me very interested in the 7030. I always like affordable good sounding ear as I'm sure we all do.
    There will be no spending of thousands ever unless it is for speakers.

Jerryb likes this.
  15. Tullman

I have a few different systems around the house and a cd player that sounds good and costs about $180. is perfect for the vintage systems.

arcamsono and Jerryb like this.
  16. bhazen

I'm leaning Onkyo. The other unit I'm considering is the Yamaha CD-S300; but that's nearly twice the money ($299).

Any informed commentary re: C-7030 vs. CD-S300?

Jerryb likes this.
  17. bhazen

I got one today; a demo from Fry's for $179! An impulse buy; but having listened to exactly three songs on CD, I am impressed. Music emerges from "inky-black silence", even my Naim deck couldn't manage that! Onkyo, I may be a fan ...

I have no SACDs, wonder what's available these days?

PH416156 and Jerryb like this.
  18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I have the Onkyo C-S5VL. $179? You scored, Bruce! Well done:thumbsup:

bhazen likes this.
  19. bhazen

Thank you! Well, Fry's seems to be blowing these out - the website has 'em listed for $199. As a new model they were what, $499? C-S5VL seems a top machine, regardless; I cannot wait to spin some tunes tonight!

PH416156 likes this.
  20. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Onkyo makes great stuff at low or lower prices. I have no desire to get rid of my (now discontinued) DX-7555 cd player. I'm looking at one of their preamps at the moment...

bluemooze, Brother_Rael and bhazen like this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If it's anything like the rest of their gear, it'll be on the neutral side, highly musical and punch above its weight. Once your ears get used to the sound of the player, you'll decide if it's for you. I've loved the two Onkyo amps I've had and they really push the music side of their ranges as much as any other company out there. Very impressed with them and wouldn't part with my 818 amp for anything, and that includes any of the (many) stereo amps I've heard.

bhazen likes this.
  22. bhazen

Did the C-S5VL seem to get better with "burn-in"?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  23. Skibum00

Skibum00 Forum Resident

Accessories4less.com has the C-7030 for $139.00 factory refurbished, I have not bought from this website before but i found a bunch of reviews that seemed good and they are an authorized Onkyo dealer. I picked one up, with shipping it cost me $148. This is the first CD player I will have owned since the early 90's, now I have to dig up the basement to find my old CDs.

Jerryb likes this.
  24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have purchased from accessories for less several times and would recommend them. I think you'll like this cd player, it's a great one for that kind of money.

25. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I have a 7030. When the tray is ejected is there supposed to be some up and down play in the tray? It's fairly loose when it's ejected.