Onkyo HF Player for iPhone. Plays DSF, DSD and 24bit Flac files on my phone.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jelloza, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl Thread Starter

Good evening,

I just discovered this app for my iPhone after reading about it on the What*HiFi website tonight. It's called the Onkyo HF Player app, and I can finally play my hi-res music on my phone, in the car, or on headphones on the subway.

I'm transferring my music to the phone at this very moment, and I plan on trying it out tomorrow in the car for a road-trip. The app also shows the artwork like iTunes does, and sorts albums into artist folders automatically. I've tried VLC for IOS in the past, but it moves all the songs into one main folder, not by album, which is very annoying.

Does anyone else have experience with this App?

2. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Been using it for a couple years now and I've generally been happy with it. The UI could use some refinement but I haven't had any playback issues thus far.

3. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I use it on my iPhone and it's pretty good. I use it with a Dragonfly Black DAC. I agree with what konoyaro mentioned, the UI could be better. On occasion I've had issues where the music goes into slow motion mode or gets jittery, but it clears up by hitting the << button. I'm hopeful they will make some improvements in the future.

4. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

I had it on my Ipod Touch for a few months and liked it. Was using it mainly in my car and to be honest I could not tell much difference between files played thru that or the same files ripped as ALAC but played thru regular itunes, and since I only have the bare bones Ipod with little storage my DSF files ate up a lot of room so I got rid of it.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not to be that guy (or maybe TO be that guy), but there are lots of threads and posts here about the Onkyo app HF.

Used it myself to listen to DSD files on the plane this morning...

6. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Of all the players I used on my IPhone this player was my hands down favourite. A really good combination of sound quality and flexibility.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I've never had the slow motion/jittery problem.

And I've used MP3, AAC, hi-Rez FLAC & dsd files. The only real problem I have is the burst of loud white noise I get when I put phone in lock mode (and that maybe a DAC problem, not the app...I'm not sure).

sandimascharvel likes this.
  8. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I really like the sound of the app had the slow motion issue occur, which can be interesting, but what is upsetting is that occasionally (four times out of countless hours over the last couple of years) I have been blasted with deafening white noise. Happened once when opening the app. Also happened when other functions started while the app was playing, like a phone call coming in. Has anyone else had this happen?

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes. See the post above yours. Have you tried turning the ringer off when listening? I've found this gets rid of the problem - although it would be nice if wouldn't do it with the ringer on because I don't always remember to turn it off.

10. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Thank you for replying when I somehow missed your post above. I think I've lost hearing from those bursts because they are so loud. I was wondering if it was my phone or the app and now I know it's an app issue, and a serious one at that, so I'm done with HF Player.

I've been searching for another player tonight (I've tried nearly 10 free ones) and came across a suggestion by another member (elfary is the member and recommended the player by Marvis). I have to say I like the sound even better than HF Player. Hopefully no white noise blasts on this app. The full album cover nicely shows unobstructed as well, like HF, but the player screen looks better. Very happy.

11. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl Thread Starter

I've since switched from the Onkyo app to 1) HibyMusic, which plays ISO files as well, and also 2) USB Audio Player PRO for my Samsung Galaxy 8+, which has USB issues with my new Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC, and the USB APP app corrected those issues, similar to your white-noise problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.