Onkyo Receivers 2009 - 2012 Faulty Network Chip (Causes Audio Issues)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr. Bogenbroom, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV Thread Starter

I started losing audio on my TX-NR809 , looked for a firmware update and saw the network portion was greyed out. Didn't put those two things together as I knew Onkyo had some faulty HDMI boards so assumed that was the issue. Been putting off getting it serviced out of laziness then last night poked around online looking for an authorized service center and came across this.

Just a little FYI for those of you with the 2009-2012 models.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php

jeffsab likes this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Thanks for this info. I was getting worried my board may go out again. I have had it replaced once but I wonder if they fixed the problem. So far so good.

3. Dr. Bogenbroom

Quite welcome. Notice in the verbiage it says they're extending the warranty through Dec 2018 for this issue. Something to keep in the back of your noggin.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  4. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Doc - holy crap, thanks so much for this info/link. I have a dead Onkyo TXNR 807 which I purchased for about $1000.00 that has been sitting in my basement for about a year. I have the problem not with the networking issue but with a faulty chip that disables the speakers so I get nothing. I typed in my serial number and it is one of the receivers affected by this issue, so I'm getting it repaired at no cost. Thanks again!

- Buck

5. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this info

6. Dr. Bogenbroom

Hope it's helpful!
    Yeah, as I understand it, it's not always the network port that goes out, but the chip causes audio issues. That makes me question their design. Regardless, glad I could help! I'd imagine the 807 sounds quite similar to the 809, and musically speaking, I really enjoy it as a dual tasking music/home theater receiver. Wrought with issues it seems, though. I might get mine fixed, see what I can get for it on the used market and head the way of Outlaw or Emotiva and separate the processing from the amperes.

This is my first Onkyo. I fell in love with them when I first started getting into audio at the tender age of ~15. Started realizing GOOD sound, was browsing the hi-fi shops ... and something about the name, green display and sound just did it for me. Have wanted one ever since but never got around to getting one until a little less than two years ago when a great deal cropped up for the 809. Got it and really dug it...until I started having the problems.

7. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

Had this happen with my TX-NR1009 recently. It's definitely worth contacting Onkyo and letting them take care of you. They FedExed a postage paid shipping box, and I had my repaired receiver back in my possession six days after shipping it to them. They couldn't have been easier to deal with or more accommodating. That kind of customer service is all too rare. I'm back up and running and everything is working perfectly so far, so hopefully they've got the problem solved.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  8. Dr. Bogenbroom

I think it's pretty great of them to be offering this service, particularly for a model dating as far back as 2009. No company I know of would do that...through 2018. I'm just hoping it's FIXED and not a temporary (2ish year) band-aid.

9. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I have an Onkyo TX-NR515 that worked before a move, but wouldn't function, afterwards. So, I thought that I could do a factory reset, and get it going! No such luck. After the reset, I couldn't run the factory set up menu. I then tried a firmware update, but since the direct network connection wouldn't work; nothing. I tried a USB update too, still nothing. As such, I filed for a service repair. The shipping box should be on it's way to me soon! I'll update the progress, as soon as I receive the 'repaired' Onkyo.

Also, the network board has all of the HDMI inputs and outputs. I wonder if the board is replaced? I guess that would negate any possible HDMI issues too?

Oh yea, Onkyo offered the option of a repair, or a credit, towards to a new receiver. I opted for the repair.

10. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

I have to say, Onkyo's customer service with regard to the HDMI baord issue was outstanding, at least in my case. Total time without the receiver was 14 days and all works as desired again. Of course, depending on where you live it might take longer.

All told, Onkyo made it easy to get this repaired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.