Onkyo TX-8050 and pre-out

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Selivem, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selivem

Selivem New Member Thread Starter

When I connect my Pioneer amp to the Onkyo zone 1 pre-out I don't have any sound, unless I turn the volume of the Onkyo way up. Zone 2 has a constant volume regardless of the position of the volume knob.

Do you think something wrong with the Zone 1 pre out or is it supposed to be that way?

2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Does the pioneer amp have a volume knob? Crank it (perhaps all the way) up. The output from your pre-out is usually attenuated by the volume control and will go up and down along with the built in amps so external amplifiers should be cranked up if they have a volume control to make them match more or less with the output of the main amps. It takes a little while to get the right volume dialed in.

3. Selivem

Selivem New Member Thread Starter

PhilBiker, thanks that makes sense. I'll play with the knobs.

Is the amp section of the Onkyo used when I get the signal from the preamp section. And if I turn the volume up, does the power consumption increase?

4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Not sure of the specific specs of your Onkyo. In my house I have a Marantz SR-4120 which has a pre-amp output. I have that connected to a second zone and that works like a charm. If I want the second zone working I just turn on the zone 2 amps. If I want the main stereo to quiet I turn off the "speaker" selector on the receiver. My receiver is simpler than yours - I don't have a "Zone 2" output I only have the main preamp out like yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.