Onkyo TX-8050 Networked Receiver, Inexpensive Step into the Present

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ddarch, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member Thread Starter

Based on a thread started here last week, I began researching receivers/integrated amps that offered network capability along with a phono preamp. I paid $189 plus shipping for a refurb unit on eBay. (Onkyo certified) I also bought the TP-Link TL-WN722N Wireless USB Adaptor for it because reviewers kept stating the Onkyo wireless "key" was slow. ($20 something on Amazon)

It came late last week and I have been putting it through the paces. (This is for a mainfloor fun/social type of listening...my "serious" system is downstairs.) I LOVE it. What features for the price! It took a while to get wireless going...I was using "auto" mode when I should have been using manual. (PW- protected router) Besides that, set up was a breeze. My wife and I both downloaded the Onkyo remote app for our phones and tablets. (I am android, she is Apple) At times there are delays using those as a remote, but never more than a minute. There was one time initially my phone froze, but that was first time. Since then, it hasn't. With wireless connected, I easily connected to my Spotify account, and as an added bonus, because that account was entered into the receiver, my wife and son were also able to access the account. There are a number of other Internet radio options, but after exploring I found I like VInternet Radio. I was able to go onto my laptop and select a dozen or so stations from quite an extensive list of genres. (My wife was thrilled with the Podcast listings)

The TX-8050 comes with a USB input right on the front, so I also used my external hard drive. I have an assortment of mp3, HD Track, and Flac files, and I am extremely impressed with the quality of the DAC. For the higher quality files I am using the Pure Audio setting, and for mp3s, I am using a setting called MusicOptimizer. I'm the type of person who can barely listen to most mp3s, but I have to admit this unit with that setting is pretty impressive. As I type this I am listening to Andre Segovia on mp3, and it is very palatable. (Before this, our family was just running our phones/ipods into a mini-jack connected to an rca AUX input of an NAD receiver. (C-740, I think.) Compared to that set up, the sound is downright holographic!

I am running a Sony ES SACD player in the analog inputs...very nice. Again, that internal DAC is lovely.

I'd read some reviews that the phono preamp is decent, but nothing to write home about. I would concur with that. Into the last receiver I was running a Creek OB-H8 preamp, one of my all time favorite under $200 phone preamps. That set up definitely beat what is now running through the Onkyo. It is certainly listenable, but not a strength of the component.

In terms of weaknesses, it's unfortunate there is just one USB input. That means you have to choose between having your wireless connector or having your external hard drive/Ipod/phone connected. I have ordered a switchable USB multiplier, and I will add to the thread when that comes in. It is doubtful both will run at the same time, but at least I won't have to keep connecting and disconnecting.

The other weakness is the network does not stay on when the receiver is turned off. So every time you fire up the receiver, it takes about a minute before the network aspect of the receiver is ready to be used. Also, as I mentioned earlier, there are occasions where the remote on your iPhone or android takes a while to transmit. When it is working well, it is instantaneous. (If you read Amazon reviews, many people have issues with connectivity. I would recommend again, getting the TP Link mentioned above,)

Overall, I am thrilled with the purchase. It's great to have the same connectedness we have on our TV, now available on our receiver. I am also very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the digital playback. This certainly would not be a choice for my main listening system, but for the main part of the house where there are constant comings and goings, this is been a great addition.

Dave

PS I did NOT do a firmware upgrade. If you buy, send me a reply with your firmware edition. If it's the same as mine, I would recommend leaving well enough alone. In various reviews, I have heard many problems result from firmware updates...most likely user error...because the directions are very specific as what to do and not do.

PPS The rest of this main area system is a Sony CE775 SACD player, Dual 1219 Turntable, and Klipsch Heresy speakers. I also have a little Cambridge Audio subwoofer to add just a touch of bass. FUN!

head_unit, jeffsab, Sebastian and 2 others like this.
  2. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Thanks for this review! I have been using a TX-8050 since June 2012. I'd have to agree: lots of features for the price.

I agree that the unit could use a second USB port on the front, or even just another one on the back. I don't have the wireless dongle. Instead I insert my music collection in FLAC and MP3 on a 64GB USB stick. If I only have 5-10 mins to listen to some tunes, I'll pull them up on the USB rather than getting out an LP. The USB stick doubles as a backup.

I also sometimes plug my iPhone 4 into the USB port. You can control using the iPhone or the unit controls / remote control. A handy way to recharge the battery and enjoy some music. Would be nice Onkyo added support for Apple Lossless files, but oh well.

I use Pure Audio mode for vinyl playback, but not for CD playback. I also use the Music Optimizer setting when listening to MP3s. I've run my CD player into the analog inputs, and through the digital/optical input, and prefer the latter. The sound is a little more precise to my ears.

I'm especially glad to hear your opinion on the phono pre. While it's been passable for me, things do sound a bit 'wooly' and mid-heavy. But at this price range just finding a receiver that allows beginners like me to get their vinyl spinning is a plus. Still, I'm looking forward to a dedicated phono pre (GS Gram Amp 2 Communicator, hopefully) in the coming months.

P.S. I haven't done a firmware update since fall 2012.

3. ddarch

Jordanb87,

Thanks for the feedback from a long time owner. You were right to mention about no apple lossless compatibility...that's why I have NOT been using my 160GB Ipod Classic...most is lossless. Oh well.

I have not tried different settings yet for phono input...good suggestion. I may give optical input a try too, based on your suggestion.

Dave

4. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

I also have a Refurbed TX-8050. I have updated the firmware at least thrice since about two years and no issues.
    Always via the "Network".

Ha! I just checked and performed an update. Took a solid 6 minutes to download and another couple more to reset.
    Now on firmware Ver. 1041-1000-0000-0000 with no obvious problems.

Question for you: When listening via vTuner does the display show song and artist info?

5. ddarch

No, it doesn't.

I don't have an ethernet cable nearby, and they make the usb sound so complicated! Good to know that, though.

Did any of the updates allow you to play apple lossless or 24/192 files?

Dave

6. tribby2001

I use the TX8050 at work for about 99% internet radio streaming (vTuner) and the other 1% playing CD/SACDs.
    I don't play back many files other than a few occasional MP3 and FLAC files.

Firmware info: www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/tx-8050.html

Firmware update via "Network" (ethernet) is safe and painless.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    jordanb87 and ddarch like this.
  7. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I think I'll do a firmware update tonight and will post if it causes any problems.

ddarch likes this.
  8. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I've just completed a firmware update. I kept getting an error message when I tried updating via network, even after several troubleshooting attempts. But thankfully the update via USB worked on the first try, and it's really not that complicated. Onkyo's instructions are good, and waiting for the files to download gave me a good opportunity to dust my components and rack. (How do things get so dusty so quickly!?)

So far no problems with operation. I've tried phono, CD, USB, and AM and RM radio inputs, and everything's working fine as before. Apple Lossless files still do not have playback support.

Now back to the music!

Oh, and has anyone used a TX-8050 with an external phono preamp? If so, to what input did you connect it? Did Pure Audio mode still work in that input, or just when going through the Phono input?

9. ddarch

Just hooked my Creek (referenced in OP) tonight. Yes, works in Pure Audio. I am using the DVD slot.

10. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Perfect, thanks!

11. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

I'm having problems playing Flac files (16/44.1-24/96) through network (with foobar UPnP plugin). They sound thin and the drums like cardboard boxes. The problem is that the foobar plugin does a lot of transcoding and I would like to just stream the files without it.

I think the Flac files sound the same through the USB port (have to test them again) so... I don't know...

The strange thing is that lossy mp3 files sound much better (really good) with the Musicoptimizer option on.

12. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

I'm having issues using my Spotify account through the receiver. My account is connected and I am logged in. All my playlists are listed but when I select them to play it says they are empty. Same goes when I search other artists. Spotify works fine on all other devices. Anybody got any ideas?

13. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

I did a factory reset and now it's up and running.

ddarch likes this.
  14. Halloween Jack

Well, I did listen to some 24/96 flac files through the USB port and they didn't sound bad... but still, I'm not convinced :shake:

I played some wav (16/44.1) files and they sounded nice but nothing extraordinary...

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Great unit. Had mine three years ago and swapped it out 18 months back for an Onkyo TX-NR818 but happy memories of that amp overall. Terrific functionality and great sound for the money.

everton and ddarch like this.
  16. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Have you updated the firmware? The latest update was released 13 months ago and says it helps stabilize FLAC playback.
    http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/tx-8050.html

Halloween Jack likes this.
  17. Halloween Jack

I tried to update it through network but it showed the message of "no update required".

18. Halloween Jack

Well, I was listening to Kate Bush, Love and the early Beatles (remasters) and they all sounded really good! Impressive actually. With a warm sound and wide soundstage. The bass and kick drum were very powerful (even with some old 5" woofers). I even fired up some classic Knickerbockers and rocked the house :agree:

I was streaming through MinimStreamer by the way.

I only had problems with Jethro Tull (80's Chrysalis CD-rips). I think everything was sounding good except the drums (too thin). Maybe it's the flat mastering?

Man, I can say, after this listening session, that this receiver has improved the sound of my old speakers. And I realized that I can spend hours listening to music with it (zero fatigue).

Cannot wait to get the Pioneer towers...

ddarch likes this.
  19. steven993

steven993 New Member

Good Morning,

I am new here. I am seeking some help for my Onkyo TX 8050. I just read all the post and still seek help with listening to my Padora account via the USB port connected to my iPad and/or iPhone 6. We were listening to music in this fashion for many weeks without any problems.

Over the weekend we had younger relatives playing with the amp listening to music, it was the first time we let someone else touch it, and since then the best way to explain it is that the amp does not recognize the devices I plug in through the USB- - the reason why I say this is because once I connect to the USB port the "USB" light on the amp display keeps blinking. The manual says a blinking "USB" light means the amp is not recognizing the device.

Maybe the younger relatives playing with the amp turned something on or off and this might have caused the issue?

Do you think I need to update the Firmware? I do not have the amp attached to an earthernet connection. If I update the firmware I will need to do it through the USB port.

I appreciate any input you might be able to provide. Thank you.

20. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Hmm, not sure what the exact nature of the problem is, but Apple devices can be synched to the amp so the song/artist info displays on the screen, or the device can be left unsynched and no info will display. Maybe your relatives synched a device and now the receiver needs to 'forget' it before it will recognize yours again?

A firmware update certainly won't hurt, and it's good to do anyway for overall stability. I update via USB with no problems, so maybe give that a try.

21. tribby2001

If all else fails... see page 51 of the Instruction Manual:

To reset the receiver to its factory defaults,
    turn it on and,
    while holding down the [TUNING MODE] button,
    press the [ON/STANDBY] button.

Note that resetting the receiver will delete your radio presets and custom settings.

22. Halloween Jack

Does anyone else think this receiver has the best connectivity ever (as a stereo receiver at least)? I mean, I can connect everything: DVD/Blu-ray player through coax, PS3 through optical, a good CD player with analog or optical output. Network (this is so great), USB, phono stage, subwoofer, an extra amp, etc.

My family is very impressed with network streaming and the fact of being able to listen any radio in the world (my neighbors are shocked and envious :laugh: ). Not to mention the sound.

Perhaps you are used to this technology but these types of receivers (or separates) were never properly introduced here.

jeffsab likes this.
  23. ddarch

I think so...especially for the price. And it's got a "mono" switch and tone controls.

24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And better yet, it sounds excellent.

25. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

I only wish it had 2 USB inputs so you could connect a USB device and remain connected to your network with the UWF-1 at the same time. Other than that I am very pleased with the receiver. Does anyone have the matching CD player, the C-7030?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.