ONKYO TX-SR608: Video but NO AUDIO thru HDMI. Help!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EditDave, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EditDave

EditDave New Member Thread Starter

Hello:

If this has been discussed elsewhere, please direct me to the proper posts/threads (can't find it using Search).

I bought an Onkyo TX-SR608 yesterday, looking forward to the ease of HDMI connectivity. Well, I get video to my Epson 8100, but no audio out of the Onkyo. I am only using two speakers at the moment, and they are connected to the front L and R. I am using a Panasonic Blu-ray player with HDMI out, and it's audio setting is selected for 2 channel/5.1 audio, as opposed to selecting 7.1 (I've flipped between both and still no sound).

I know the speakers are connected properly because I get sound when I disconnect the HDMIs and use RCA cables for audio (out from Blu-ray and into Onkyo).

I feel like there is a setting on the Onkyo somewhere that I'm missing, and I find the manual is confusing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Check your settings and look for the "HDMI Audio Out" under Hardware. I have a Onkyo TX-SR805 and it's 2 generations older than your receiver. Also, be sure the default source for the Blu-ray input is set for HDMI, not analog or optical. Lastly, give that receiver a lot of ventilation room above the heat sinks as Onkyos traditionally run hot.

3. EditDave

Thank you Charlie. I appreciate your response and I'll go give your suggestions a try. Oh, FYI, the 608 has a built-in fan to help with Onkyo's over-heating problems. I ran it for many hours yesterday and it never even felt warm, but I also didn't put it on a shelf or rack -- it's on a table by itself.

4. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

My 805 has a built in fan, too but it does not activate until internal temps reach 170 degrees. Ant it only cools the amp, not other parts of the receiver. Trust me, it will get hot. Give it breathing room and run it in pure audio mode, it shuts off the video section but won't affect HDMI output.

5. EditDave

I went through every setting I could find on both the Onkyo and Panasonic Blu-ray player .... Nothing. No sound. Very strange. You'd would think that setting it up right out of the box and hooking it up with the HDMI out from Panasonic to HDMI BD/DVD in to Onkyo and the HDMI out to Epson everything would work: picture AND sound. But No .....

I am totally baffled. :shake:

6. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Are you using an HDMI cable that supports HDMI version 1.3?

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Do you have another HDMI source besides the Blu-ray player? Like a cable box?

8. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Let's start with the player. Is it set to send audio thru HDMI? If so, how? Is it linear PCM or native bitstream? The captain asks a good question. Try another HDMI cable if possible. On the Onkyo, be sure that the blu-ray input has HDMI (1 or 2) as its primary input. Just as a test, bypass the receiver completely and attach the player directly to the television via HDMI. If you get audio and video from the television, you'll know where the problem lies.

9. EditDave

A-ha! You may be onto something. I am using HDMI cables I bought several years ago, not new ones. Perhaps that's the problem!

And there are no other sources hooked up -- just the Blu-ray player.

10. EditDave

I will try what you suggest, but I am playing into an Epson PowerLite 8100 project: it doesn't have sound capabilities, just image.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Honestly it is unlikely you HDMI cable is the problem, especially if you are getting a clean picture. And an "old" HDMI 1.1 cable is just fine for HDMI 1.3a.

I still recommend trying/borrowing another source, as I suspect there is a setting within your Blu-ray player that is slowing you down.

12. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

If you need new ones, Audio Advisor has Pangaea and Audioquest HDMI cables on sale.

13. EditDave

Charlie, I went out and bought some new HDMI cables, and no dice. So I went back and did what you recommended initially and finally found a setting on the Blu-ray player: HDMI Audio ON/OFF, which was set to OFF. Turned it on and everything is working great. And it sounds incredible--what a difference between HDMI audio and RCA audio!

Thanks to all of you for your help! I really appreciate it! Of course, no one at either of the stores I went to for the HDMI cables had a clue, and one of the stores is where I bought the Onkyo.

This forum is the best! Thanks!

14. EditDave

You were right, Sam. Thanks!

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nice to hear that it was an easy fix :)

16. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Glad to help! Enjoy!

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

just got a 608,very happy with it so far,quick question,my oppo will output dsd via hdmi to the receiver,but my onkyo is only showing 44,but when i switch my oppo to pcm it shows 88 and obviously sounds better,lol its a pixies sacd,is this normal?

18. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I think you should check the audio settings on the Oppo.

19. c-eling

thanks Charlie for the reply,oppo-hdmi-audio bitstream out,oppo-sacd out dsd-but only getting 44hrtz,but when i change sacd out to pcm,getting 88,weird,the onkyo recognizes the incoming dsd also but says my oppo bd is sending 44

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is nothing wrong with your Onkyo, only its display.

DSD sampling frequency is 2.8224mHz which is 44.1 x 64. Your Onkyo is showing is the divided sampling rate of the DSD stream.

This is a known issue with many Onkyo receivers.

21. c-eling

thanks for the info SamS,much appreciated :)

22. nitins1981

nitins1981 New Member

Even I started facing the same issue with my TX-SR508. Earlier there was perfect sound but suddenly it stopped working through hdmi ports one by one. Reciever detects the hdmi as PCM but no sound but all hdmi ports give video and audio output to HDMI out.

I've tried every possible setting in the manual. analogue inputs are working fine.

Warranty is over. I don't know how to fix this.

Please help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.