Only One - Kanye West (feat. Paul McCartney) Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

He won't go far if he meets up with another new forum member: "heathermillsisthewoman". ;)

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am also not sure if he will get along with the esteemed forum member: 'yokoonowasjohnlennon'sbestpartner'.

:D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Once I'd got over the initial shock of the repeated use of the word that cannot be named I must say I found this quite interesting. Whether it grows on me further or not only time will tell but I really enjoy the ethereal female vocal in the background, I like the riff that appears at the start and end of the song and McCartney's contribution towards the end works really very well as a counterpoint to the agressive body of the track.

I doubt that debate about the use of the N word is allowed here and I suspect I'd struggle to get my meaning across without causing upset but I'll say this: there are many words that, over the years, have come to be less offensive to people. As someone who won't ever know the hurt and offence the N word can cause I will ALWAYS defer to those who deem it unacceptable and always to be so; but if there's a way of making the word less potent so that in future it causes less hurt then I think I'd support that. Anything that reduces hurt is a good thing, especially if it involves blunting the instrument that causes it. I should say that I'm not suggesting that this song in particular does a good job of achieving that but, if an Afro-American is using the word, I can only assume he's doing so for reasons similar to this (or just to shock - not something I'm averse to in principle).

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  4. Probably better than with 'yokoonowasslummingitwithapopstar'.

JDeanB and theMess like this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

are we still talking about "only one"? because that song sucks. hard.

Muddy, cb70 and Frank like this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Now thats what I call brilliant and thoughtful analysis. It s a rare thing these days.:)
    Can t wait to read your thought about All day-the new opus from Kanye West featuring Macca discussed here. I feel confident you will like that one.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  7. Paul H

No, I forgot to qualify that my comments above are about All Day.

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

haven't heard it and probably never will. remind me again..what's the title of this thread?

and who the hell is "macca"?

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I am very sorry if you felt confused when discussions turned to another song from the collabration beteen Kanye West and Macca (Paul McCartney that is). Things like that happens.:)

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Thanks for a good post. Would like to add that the unmentionable word have been used within hip-hop for 35 years and within that context aint controversial at all. Kanye has raised questions about race- issues in many songs. Maybe not so much here- I find it more a classical hip-hop bragg thing. But even that is old within the afro- american culture. Mannish boy, Bo Diddley are examples.
    Besides- I think All day is a formidable single- from start to finish

11. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

12. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It's better than Yesterday.

13. Paul H

Since the FourFiveSeconds thread got closed down I thought I'd post here that the mastering of the iTunes download of FourFiveSeconds is marginally better than that of the CD single, being just a little quieter and, therefore, having marginally more dynamic range. It's a shame we now have to chose between higher bitrate and better mastering.

14. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

I miss everything! I didn't know it got closed down.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Don't worry though. If you want, we can close this thread down too. ;)

theMess likes this.
  16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I can't believe Julian Lennon is talking about Kanye West on Facebook.

So odd...

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  17. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Please do. I don't care for this song at all. The other was good.

18. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Not sure if this is posted anywhere, but Kanye's rumored album has a leaked track list (not sure if legit) with PISS ON YOUR GRAVE feat. Paul McCartney (yes, we call him Macca) as Track 2. I hope so :cool:

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Sounds like a song that will be very popular around here

20. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Well, you and me may like it :). I want Paul to continue to explore and push boundaries of pop music...(I know that I am in a minority around here when it comes to KW).

ringorilla, Fivebyfive and theMess like this.
  21. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The whole album was supposedly leaked, but it seems it is all much ado about nothing, and this means the tracklist is also irrelevant. Not to say that track isn't real, of course.

There is also a "leaked" track called Heaven, supposedly featuring Paul, but it's really just an old unreleased track called Have It Your Way.

theMess likes this.
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

theMess likes this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt