OOPS 'mixes' Beatles and Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I know ther are lots of OOPS Beatles collections out there on CDR. How interesting is this stuff? Which tracks are the most revealing when OOPS'd?
    Also, does anyone have the an OOPS'd copy of my favorite album ever? (Piper at the Gated of Dawn of course.....)?? There is so little Syd Floyd out there that I would kill for an OOPS'd copy of Piper.

Shine On,

Chris

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Well, you know you can do this yourself, right? Heck, Cool Edit Pro has a PRESET ("Vocal Cut" under channel mixer) that does this for you.

For the record, Piper doesn't sound very different when out-of-phased, as the stereo on that album is so "gimmicky" that very little ever remains in the center.

Some Beatles OOPSes are interesting, some are not. Oddly, my favorite albums to do this to are:

a) Satanic Majesties Request. It turns parts of this (Sing This All Together) into a vocals-only album! Even more fascinating is the stereo We Love You, which essentially isolates the vocals (and, thus, John and Paul can be heard very well).

b) Spirit's "Family that PLays Together" (on the remixed version, which is a lot cleaner than the original). Vastly different album.

-D

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Thanks David. Interesting about the We Love You OOPS. I guess you are right about Piper OOPS'd. It is a pretty wide stereo mix. The end of Intersteller is more than a little bit 'gimmicky' :D

Chris

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I bought a Beatles bootleg which had three of these mixes, and the bootleggers passed them off as "unreleased" Threetles recordings. The songs were "Whatever Happened To...?", "India", and "Free As A Bird", all Lennon demos with "new " backing. Admittedly, I was initially fooled, then pissed off when I found out what these really were. Actually, "Free As A Bird" is better than the released version, Lennon demo on one side, acoustic guitar, George lead guitar line and backing vocals on the other. Very mellow version, with the ACTUALL Paul & George backing vocals. I don't know how they achived this effect, but it is startling. The CD is called "Only Northern Songs", BTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.