Open your windows and I'll walk through your doors. Jethro Tull - WarChild Remixed 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

WOW great! Much sooner than I expected. But I won´t be buying it if this comes only as a stand alone remixed CD. I have read somewhere that album outakes were expected for this edition. Will be a major dissapointment if there is no extra material besides the remix. It is one of my favourites Tull albums (and Richie Blackmore´s by the way).
    If I browse for JT upcomming releases on Amazon UK, this set does not appear...where did the link originate from?

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I had guessed earlier in the thread that there would be (since all of the previous Tull/Wilson projects have had them) but it wasn't based on inside info.

3. Daniel Falaschi

Information on the deluxe edition has been posted at amazon.es (only in Spanish, though)

http://www.amazon.es/Warchild-Anniversary-Theatre-Jethro-Tull/dp/B00NCGXXT4/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1411653012&sr=1-2&keywords=jethro tull

4. Daniel Falaschi

This will be aaaaawwwweeesooommmmeee!!!! The best Remix album program from the new series by Tull (After Aqualung, of course).

love4another and tootull like this.
  5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I wonder if Wilson has any interest in the "folk" stage of Tull's career. I'd like him to work on "Songs From the Wood' and 'Heavy Horses'.

love4another, tootull and DonnyMe like this.
  6. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

Yep! Songs From The Wood, this album is special to me, hope he will do this one. A nice vinyl like Benefit and A Passion Play will be great!

freemanl and tootull like this.
  7. Daniel Falaschi

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Huh, better than I was expecting. Surprised to see "Tomorrow Was Today," which they played live a few times around 1971/2.

tootull likes this.
  9. Daniel Falaschi

I hope Ian´s saving Paris 75 for Minstrell in the Gallery...

freemanl, tootull and Carserguev like this.
  10. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I probably say this for each new SW remix, but this album in 5.1 is awesome, one of his best.This album really lends itelf to it.
    The sound quality improvement is definitely there. I hope they go to Minstrel as well. This one really needs a remix.

tootull, blue.monk, pdenny and 3 others like this.
  12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Wow, two of these in one year!

Strange to see they are keeping with the packaging that TAAB & PP had. Not sure I'm crazy about those. It's hard to actually read the book part of it, and weird to store with other CDs. But I'll get it in whatever package they want to put it in.

13. Daniel Falaschi

Yes indeed. Ian has treated us with no less than 2 deluxe editions this year. Can´t complain. I´ll buy them all if they get to Stormwatch.

DonnyMe, Carserguev and tootull like this.
  14. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

:cool:

War Child 40th Anniversary Theatre Edition – Coming in November!
    The Band’s Ambitious 1974 Album Expanded With Unreleased Tracks
    And Orchestral Pieces Along With Rare Video Footage
    2CD/2DVD, 1CD, Digital Download: November 24th
    Limited Edition Vinyl : January 13th

In 1974, Jethro Tull announced plans for WarChild, a multi-faceted project that was to encompass a feature-length film, a soundtrack album, as well a new album from the band. In October of that year, Tull released a 10-song album that would climb to #2 in the U.S. and the top 15 in the U.K., but the film and accompanying soundtrack were shelved. To commemorate the 40-year anniversary of this ambitious experiment, Parlophone will revisit WarChild with several releases.

WARCHILD: THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY THEATRE EDITION will be available as a limited edition 2-CD/2-DVD set on November 24th.

Highlights from the set include:

- Original album and bonus tracks (three previously unreleased), remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson

- 10 orchestral pieces (nine previously unreleased) written for the film’s soundtrack, 4 of which are remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson

- Flat transfers of the original LP mix at 96/24, and the quadrophonic version (with 2 bonus tracks) in 4.0.

- “The Third Hoorah” promo footage, and footage from a January 1974 photo session/press conference where the WarChild project was announced.

- An 80-page booklet featuring an extensive article on the preparation and recording of the album, a film script synopsis, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs.

In addition a new stereo remix of WarChild will also be released on single CD and digitally on November 17th.

Originally released in 1974, WarChild features one of the group’s most prolific lineups and includes Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, John Evans, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond and Barrie Barlow. Unlike its predecessors – Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play – which featured 40-odd minutes of continuous music, WarChild marked a return to songs of a more conventional length, including the FM-radio staple, “Bungle In The Jungle.” The new Theatre Edition unearths a trio of unreleased recordings: “Tomorrow Was Today,” “Good Godmother,” and a different arrangement of “WarChild” recorded after the version on the final album.

Fans intrigued by the appearance of “WarChild Waltz” on the 2002 reissue of WarChild will finally get the chance to hear the rest of the mostly orchestral music the band recorded for the soundtrack album. About 30 minutes was recorded during sessions in 1973 and 1974. Soon after, the music was consigned to the archives for 40 years – until now.

[​IMG]

slipkid, DonnyMe and love4another like this.
  15. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

Have you heard the 5.1 at this point?

16. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

5.1 + quad +... This is a GREAT package.

rd1 and love4another like this.
  17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I hope Rainbow Blues made the cut. It is my favorite song from the Warchild sessions.

18. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Steve Wilson and Jethro Tull,......Perrrrfect Together!

DonnyMe likes this.
  19. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

They started to lose me at Passion Play,but I bought the recent reissue and kinda fell in love with it.:love: Maybe Steven Wilson's mix had something to do with it. Back then I was kind of lukewarm about Warchild but I'm gonna get this and see if I can fall in love with this one too. :agree:

sound chaser and mmars982 like this.
  20. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

quote: "The new Theatre Edition unearths a trio of unreleased recordings: “Tomorrow Was Today,” “Good Godmother,” and a different arrangement of “War Child” recorded after the version on the final album."

Hopefully sans sound effects.

21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

No bonus tracks? I won't have to eat noodles the week it comes out. :)

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes...

rd1 and tootull like this.
  23. Elek.-maxe

Elek.-maxe Forum Resident

Very good news. Now it's a good day. :)
    "Paradise Steakhouse" is my favourite leftover, I would have released it as a single instead of having it unreleased for 15 years... now I'm getting even a 5.1 of it

24. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Did you not read the release notes in post #39??

- Original album and bonus tracks (three previously unreleased), remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson

- 10 orchestral pieces (nine previously unreleased) written for the film’s soundtrack, 4 of which are remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson

- Flat transfers of the original LP mix at 96/24, and the quadrophonic version (with 2 bonus tracks) in 4.0.

- “The Third Hoorah” promo footage, and footage from a January 1974 photo session/press conference where the WarChild project was announced.

What more does it take to say "I f*ing need this set!!" ?

Keith V likes this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I wonder what would have happened if Tull had released a single with the line "I'd like to eat you" beginning one of the verses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.