OPETH To Release 'Garden Of The Titans' [Live Album]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zephead2112, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For all the Opeth fans in the forum, check out the news of this new live album, set for release in early November;

Opeth - Official Website | SORCERESS New Album OUT WORLDWIDE!

(please ignore the Sorceress reference in the link, it's just the home page of Opeth's official site)

Multiple formats will be available.

2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This sounds great, but is that an accurate track listing on their website? Only 10 songs spread across two CD's?

3. Zephead2112

As far as I can say, I believe that it's accurate (as there are some pretty long numbers in the set). Cheers.....

4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

A great deal of their tunes are long songs. On Morningrise not a single song under 1o minutes. On Orchid 5 of the 7 over 9 minutes. Still Life, all songs over 5 and most over 8. Blackwater Park 6 over 8 minutes. Ghost Reveries 7 over 5 minutes and 4 over 10..... just to give some examples.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    JoeF. likes this.
  5. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

The clip of 'sorceress' sounded great, fantastic album cover too, I hope the rest of it is up to that. Hopefully the death vocals are up to standard on the recording too.

miller_time22 likes this.
  6. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I like the visual look of the video too.

The title of the projects, Garden of the Titans, sounds like an NFL documentary though...

Daryl M likes this.
  7. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Must admit that the setlist is mighty disappointing, I've totalled it up to approx 75-80 min which is very short. Even more disappointing because the video of Sorceress is really superb, great visuals and the editing is not too frantic. The sound is fantastic too and this version crushes the album one, hence was hoping for a few more numbers in the set.

Some weird song choices too, Devils Orchard and Cusp... really? Those are the worst songs on those 2 albums.

I just hope the mastering is good and the blu-ray is done properly with lossless audio and proper encoding (it wouldn't surprise me to see Dolby 5.1 on this...)

8. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

The reason for the short setlist is that this was a triple-bill concert, so the sets were short.

9. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Devin Townsend followed by Gojira followed by Opeth. That was a hell of a bill!

BLUESJAZZMAN and ceddy10165 like this.
  10. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

Received the records and 2 CD, DVD & Blu-Ray set today from Nuclear Blast. Playing the CD and it sounds so much better than the Sorceress LP. Big surprise there, huh? Clocks in at 88 minutes. Fall & Opeth go together very well!

primoridal_ooze, SJP, JoeF. and 2 others like this.
  11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Currently in the mail from Burning Shed, along with the Steven Wilson Home Invasion Bluray plus The Moody Blues 50th Anniversary of In Search of the Lost Chord - all to be released today (but will not receive for another couple weeks as yet). Nice to hear the mastering is better than the CD.

Still hoping the Sorceress album will get a remix though...

12. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Do Mike's harsh vocals sound any better this time around?

13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Me Records from BM shipped. Blu Ray set from NB should be on the way !

14. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Avoid the HDTracks release of this live album... I unfortunately downloaded it and the result appear to be worse than the CD release. Should have just bought the BluRay and be done with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Users/jeremywilson/Music/HDtracks/Opeth/Garden of the Titans (Opeth Live at Red Rocks Amphitheatre)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR6 -0.80 dB -8.77 dB 02-Ghost of Perdition (Live).aiff
    DR6 -0.80 dB -8.66 dB 10-Deliverance (Live).aiff
    DR6 -0.80 dB -9.76 dB 09-Era (Live).aiff
    DR6 -0.80 dB -10.53 dB 04-The Wilde Flowers (Live).aiff
    DR6 -0.80 dB -9.50 dB 01-Sorceress (Live).aiff
    DR6 -0.80 dB -9.77 dB 03-Demon of the Fall (Live).aiff
    DR6 -0.80 dB -9.21 dB 08-Heir Apparent (Live).aiff
    DR6 -0.80 dB -9.13 dB 06-The Devil's Orchard (Live).aiff
    DR6 -0.80 dB -8.25 dB 07-Cusp of Eternity (Live).aiff
    DR7 -0.80 dB -10.49 dB 05-In My Time of Need (Live).aiff

Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR6

==============================================================================================

Plan9 likes this.
  15. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Sounds pretty OK to me via Tidal HiFi - I hope the bluray deliver the goods, both sonic and mix wise.

16. Zephead2112

Hmmm...that's disappointing indeed. It would be interesting to know what the DR value of the 'CD quality' option is on HD Tracks, you could perhaps take it up with them if that is comparable?

I received my 'earbook' set today and I have played some of the DVD in the car; I'm fortunate enough to have 5.1 in there and even with a little road noise, I've had some of my best listening experiences whilst driving. From what I've seen heard, I really like the visuals and the overall sound but my only gripe is that it's not very 'crankable'. I turned the volume way up and thought, "is that it?!?!". Having played the 5.1 of Ghost Reveries in there on many occasions, that thing goes up to 11 with no issues at all. I'll try and check out the BD tonight in the house to see what that's like.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Someone posted an other DR reading for a 24/48 download :confused: :

And weirdly, the CD doesn't match your version either:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  18. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Hope the Blu-ray has more dynamics.

Plan9 likes this.
  19. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

This is very strange, three different digital variations already floating around. The files I downloaded from HDTracks seem to have the worst DR numbers between the 3 of them but not much of a difference overall.

20. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

I went for a long run yesterday morning & listened to the entire set on headphones. I ripped the Cds to Apple lossless. Granted I’m just playing through AirPods but it sounded great to me. Nice separation. Wish the set features more songs from Sorceress.

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  21. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Opeth and Steven Wilson releases on the same day? Fantastic treat right after Halloween. On second listen, it seems like the cleanest sounding live release yet. The guitar distortion is toned down, the instruments have tons of space around them, and the vocals are very crisp - even the growls. I wonder how much the ambience of Red Rocks contributed to the sound? The audience mics are very audible and distinct. The surround mix didn't do much for me on first listen - which is a real bummer for me - I'll have to revisit. The stereo mix seems to have more power, focus and cohesion. Watching the bluray really makes me appreciate discovering Opeth and Steven Wilson over the last decade - they've been a life changer for me.

22. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Any opinions on the vinyl version? I assume it has some decent inner groove distortion?

23. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Great sound on this live album, and great set list of the newer prog stuff mixed with older favorites to put alongside the old gold set Royal Albert Hall (2010) release!

24. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Haven't ripped my copy yet but there are reports that the stereo track on the blu ray is clipped...

25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

It's 2 lp only need about 22 minutes a side. I pre ordered the beer and red splatter or whatever from bull moose. Bull moose rules shipped and arrived on released day as usual for free. I was disappointed to see xvinylx.com in the dead wax as they are very hit and miss. It's flat and centered however and I did back and forth worth the hi res and I was very freaking surprised the vinyl sounded as good as it did. Also have the ear mark Blu Ray set on the way.

Marko K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.