DCC Archive Opinions - 10.5" Reel-to-Reel deck?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Sep 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

I miss my 1/4 inch deck. Any nutty audiophiles reccomend an old stock RTR deck that supports 10.5 reels that doesn't cost $1,000?

A lot of the decks that had good drives seemed to be Pioneers?? Steve is whole-heartedly welcome to put in his opinion. I used to work with Otari's and they drove me batty, but then again, that was radio, and jocks KILLED everything sacred and true. :rolleyes:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sckott,

There are zillions of them on EB*y all the time. If you just want two-track, I would go for a nice solid state Ampex 440 from the 1970's. Should be around 800 bucks. But, if you want to play open reel commercial quarter track tapes, you'll need a different machine. Old Teacs (for example)are built like tanks and are very common.....Sound darn good, too.

I still have a Teac 6100 (I think that is the number) from my college radio days. It plays 15ips and 7 1/2ips, both quarter track and two track. I use it in my office at DCC. Must have a zillion miles on it, but it still works fine, heads and all. If you can find one of those, get it! Make sure you get the model that has the two-track/quarter track switch! Some are just quarter track...

Hope this helps!

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Thanks Steve. Yeah, I'd like to go for something that plays quarter-track as I'm finding some neat old-stock RTR. I remember having a 7", 7-1/2 IPS MCA reel of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in the late 80's and playing it on a TEAC. I was very suprised on how that tape sounded. I wish I'd kept it. I found a "Sounds Of Silence" on quarter track and I do remember many of the old quarter track tapes sounding very good. I shall go a-huntin'!

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest

You can get quarter-track heads for Ampex 440s, which is potentially a nice setup because you can switch between formats by just swapping the head block. I'd eventually like to pick up one for my 440. One caveat: I don't know how common they are. You might ask on the Ampex mailing list: www.recordist.com/ampex

I got mine about a year ago with 1/4" (2-track) and 1/2" (4-track) headstacks and spare transport in nice shape for $500. I've seen them go for even less on eBay these days.

Justin

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Wow, RTR questions! You're bringing tears to my eyes with the TEAC talk - I was a teaching assistant many moons ago in an audio production class at good old Purdue and spent a lot of time keeping an eye on the equipment in the studio from becoming too abused. The TEAC 4 track had millions of miles on it but still sounded pretty good; then an Otari showed up and seemed like it needed to be worked on an awful lot compared to the TEAC. What's next - 8 track chat??? Steve - no tube recommendation for RTR playback at home? Man, I must be in the Twilight Zone! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.