Opinions on Criterion [Lafayette] speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wally Swift, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

What is your opinion of these speakers, in particular the earliest ones made in Japan? I see a lot of negative comments, mostly on another forum but I found a pair of 25A this morning and I think they sound pretty good actually. I am going to try them out on my old Kenwood KW-60 tube receiver next.

[​IMG]

With them I also found a Lafayette LR-100 receiver. Cute little thing;

[​IMG]

clhboa and JohnO like this.
  2. SFCable

SFCable Active Member

Lafayette's house brand. For some reason, the woofs are always okay. Expect the tweeter and mid level controllers to be inop. Can't handle a lot of power. They are okay for the garage.

It was the house label at Lafayette Radio, long ago.
    Those were the days!

Lafayette Radio Electronics - Wikipedia

SandAndGlass and McLover like this.
  3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

It's possible that the Criterion speakers made in Japan were made by Coral. They made a lot of private label brand speakers, and higher end speakers (for the time) with their own brand. If that helps (probably not).

McLover likes this.
  4. Wally Swift

Tweeters are ok on both and sound pretty good!.

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Total crap, but still twice as good as RadioShack's Realistic brand speakers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

First system I had, must have been around 1970. I had a little Criterion integrated amp and Criterion 50a speakers. I think the posted pic was the next model down fr what I had. I don’t think they could be considered hi fidelity but they chugged along for many years of abuse. I even stuck the speakers in the back seat of my 1971 Duster connected to a Craig Powerplay eight track. Those speakers look to be in good shape. They have to be close to 45 or 50 years old. I recognize the knobs on the receiver. Cool to see them. Lafayette always had cool catalogues. Got me hooked

7. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Me too! Fronted by a Garrard changer with Shure cartridge.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I had the Garrard 40B, the regroover. Cartridge, who know? Probably a grain of sand on the stylus.

9. Wally Swift

Dunno folks, I have them hooked up to my Kenwood KW-60 tube receiver [circa 1962] and they sound pretty darn good. They must be fairly efficient because I am getting volume at 12:00 on the knob where with modern speakers I needed to go to 2:00-3:00.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

That’s great! As a kid I memorized the Lafayette catalogue. A few years ago I bought a Lafayette amp at a pawn shop for a few dollars. It didn’t work so I got a refund. I would have enjoyed using it. Enjoy those speakers, cool find.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Wally Swift

I have had a Lafayette LR-9090 for about five years. Great receiver. I have it up for sale because I have too many receivers but I will miss it when it goes.

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

They are good little speakers, nothing at all wrong with them. Excellent for playing back music of the day!

And, no, they don't sound like modern day speakers, ergo, they are not modern day speakers.

Wally Swift and Mike-48 like this.
  13. Wally Swift

I listened to three full CDs today. An Ella Mae Morse comp, Bobbie Gentry boxset disc 1 and a Bear Family Siv Malmkvist comp of late 60's tracks. I am happy with what I heard, more so then what I was using previously which was Dayton Audio B652s and SONY SS CPX22 wired in series [10 ohms total/8 ohm taps]. Toed in properly Ms. Gentry sounded like she was sitting on a stool directly in front of me. I was actually a bit shocked how good they sound and imaged after what I have so far read about them. They seem to pair well with the Kenwood tube receiver of similar vintage. Until I find another pair of same vintage speakers that are better I think I'll work with these.

14. Wally Swift

This is what interested me about them. It has been suggested to me that I should try out similar vintage speakers to my circa 1962 Kenwood.

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

People in their over zealous quest for bass, high frequency response and "detail" have gotten away from the important things, meaning midrange and vocal's.

I have some nice vintage speakers. The ones that are holding up the coffee service are vintage Wharfedale W60's. They were made in their N.Y. plant. This pair cost me $222.

[​IMG]

16. Wally Swift

Now I'm very jealous. Those are the legendary Altec "Voice of the Theater" speakers, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.