Opinions On Guided By Voices

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have heard a lot of praise for this band, many reviews saying that they are as good as Pavement. Is this true?

2. theMess

Does anyone on here like them?

3. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I freakin' love GBV. I've been a big fan of theirs since Propeller. Personally, I think they're miles above Pavement. The biggest problem is that Robert Pollard is so damn prolific, it can been trying weeding out the great songs from the mediocre ones. But when they're on, there are few bands that I feel so passionate about. Their run of albums from Bee Thousand to Alien Lanes to Under the Bushes Under the Stars are amazing.

bzfgt and sennj like this.
  4. swvcc

swvcc Active Member

My favorite band. Get "Bee Thousand". Seen them around 25 times. Recorded them live on DAT many times as well.

5. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

I'm a fan of Alien Lanes myself. Saw an episode of Jacka** use the song Motor Away and I fell in love.

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

They have some great stuff - Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes - those 2 CDs are the pinnacle from what I've heard of them. But they have loads and loads of songs - the catalogue can be a bit daunting. A lot of their stuff is very lo-fi which is not to everyone's tastes. But their best songs, some of which at a quick glance might come off as snippets clocking in at a minute or two, are really tremendous, imo.

mds and cgoodwin like this.
  7. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

Love them! Difficult to compare them to Pavement...I don't really understand that at all, since GbV are a totally different animal. It took me awhile to really figure them out, but once I did, I was hooked! Pick up Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Isolation Drills and Propeller for a broad introduction...or their Human Amusements At Hourly Rates is a great compilation to check out and decide yourself.

8. theMess

Thanks for all of your answers, I will get the albums that you mentioned when I can.

I think that they are compared to Pavement because they are both considered 'indie' and 'lo-fi'.

I already love what I have heard, Echos Myron, a quite Beatlesque song.

9. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

Very different from Pavement, obviously, but I got into both groups at the same time, coincidentally.

Be careful what you buy - as mentioned, there's a ton of releases. And in addition to GBV, Bob Pollard has recorded under a string of other group names. Some of these projects are worth paying attention to, others not so much.

10. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

GBV's new album, Class Clown Spots a UFO, is their best since the '90s, IMO.

I bought the Propeller/Vampire on Titus twofer in Ohio when it first came out and was an avid follower of the group for several years thereafter. Personally, I think GBV crushes Pavement like a grape, and I like Pavement.

11. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

This is not an opinion, but a FACT: they have horrible taste in beer. Never seen them drink anything than Budweiser.

broccolid, Jimbo62 and Pennywise like this.
  12. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Audiophiles beware: Their best stuff (Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Vampire on Titus) was recorded on a cassette, dubbed to Pollard's phone message machine, Converted to CD via a potato-powered Tesla coil, then upconverted to an Edison wax cylinder.

What makes it great is what makes a lot of people hate!

CMcGeek, havenz and cgoodwin like this.
  13. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

love 'em.

later stuff is good too... "universal truths and cycles"

and pollard, of course, is insanely prolific.

check out the "boston spaceships" records, too

14. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Saw them at the Recher Theatre in Towson Maryland twice. Great shows!!!! Best song live: "Game of Pricks".

15. chodad

chodad Hodad

ditto. I never got Pavement but really appreciate GBV.

bzfgt likes this.
  16. jpan99

jpan99 Forum Resident

Everyone should own Bee Thousand. I'm also going to urge you to get Crying Your Knife Away, which is a live album and an essential way to get the full GBV experience.

A thoroughly wonderful band.

17. bw

bw Forum Resident

Better than Pavement.

jupiterboy likes this.
  18. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Exactly!

GBV is all the best rock music over the last 45 years wrapped into one amazing (albeit in some cases a very lo-fi) package. If you like Echos Myron, check out the rest of the album Bee Thousand and then go from there. The album in my avatar (Isolation Drills) ain't half bad either. The sound quality improves as you go through their discography.

19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

In sheer quantity of great songs Pollard ranks with anyone-----in terms of lyrics and vocal melodies.

The backing is often crude-----the rhythm can be “same-y”.

But his best songs occupy that same great place as mid-to-late 1960s Beatles and Dylan.

His imagery and vocals will haunt you forever----if you can get past the raw recording technique (i like it for the most part) and that overly-familiar, intensely-strummed rhythm guitar.

20. serge

serge Forum Resident

i was at one of those shows and it was unbelievably good.

21. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

Very well said! :righton:

22. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I only have Earthquake Glue and based in that, I would never place them above Pavement. But guess I may have started on the wrong foot, judging by the recommendations here.

23. djork

djork Forum Resident

This may or may not affect your thesis, but for awhile they were hardcore Rolling Rock drinkers. I believe they were shooting for an endorsement by drinking rolling rock alsmost exclusively.

Oh, and OP -- You seem to be getting into to a lot of 1990s indie rock lately, which is fantastic. Here are some other bands you should check out:
    Chavez (heavy, awesome drummer, awesome band. There have been a few threads here singing their all-mighty praises.)
    Shudder to Think (Mix of hard rock and art rock with werid, cool vocals. Oh, more awesome drumming.)
    The Sea and Cake (Quiet and reflective. Again, awesome drumming.)

If you like the lo-fi sound especially, then try:
    The Grifters
    Sebadoh
    Thinking Fellers Union Local 282

havenz likes this.
  24. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Pavement are a bit more adventurous, but the best way to start GBV, IMHO, is Propeller.

Obviously, they will never be audiophile stuff :rolleyes:

25. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

This corresponds precisely with my take on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.