Opinions on Rega Exact cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aoxomoxoa, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

It’s time for me to upgrade my cartridge on my RP3. I really don’t want to mess around with putting spacers under the tonearm. So I’m considering the Rega Exact. It will allow me for easy installation.
    I’ve been looking at a seller out of Hong Kong who has one for around $400. I realize this is not authorized dealer. So should I take my chances and get it from an authorized dealer?

Also I would love to hear some opinions from those of you who have used this cartridge.

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It tracks really well. Very little inner groove distortion and sibilance. Never owned one, just heard.

NOS300B, Mazzy and Echoes Myron like this.
  3. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I’ve bought from that eBay seller in Hong Kong before. Reliable as far as I know. I had an Exact cartridge on my Rega P9 very briefly but it had too much output for the 47 dB gain of my phono preamp. In the short time I had it, it sounded very nice. More refined than the Elys.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I liked mine when I had my Rega RP6. Good tracker, warm-ish, full bodied sound. Real nice in the midrange, but not as precise in the highs and the lows. Obviously easy to install on Rega tables.

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Been using them for years - love 'em. No fuss installation and good synergy with the Rega TT's. A noticeable sonic upgrade from the Bias. No problems whatsoever with tracking, IGD etc. Its mid range really shines with rock soul pop jazz and folk music. With the fine line stylus you just have to make sure and mount them accurately and make sure tracking force is spot on. For best performance mine like being run right within the specs: 1.7 to 1.8 grams.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I second everything Raunchnroll says about the cartridge especially tracking force, they like to track at exactly 1.75 grams also I find the Rega recommended anti skate setting of 1.75 is also appropriate. The other thing you should consider is a power supply upgrade, the TTPSU or now the NEO PSU will really make the RP3 shine.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  7. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

As an aside....any comments as to how accurate the Rega "sliders" are with regard to tracking force/anti skate?....I know by trial and error there is a definite "sweet spot" with the Exact...but trying to gauge 1.75 on a sliding scale that omits 1.75 leaves margin for error...any tips or secrets from Rega users?

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I know, they give you a notch in the slider that's little more than an 1/8 of an inch and you have to divide it into and infinite number of increments. I think there is significant room for error and it becomes more of an exercise of tuning by ear and using "1.75" as a guide and just being reasonably precise. For me I have the slider set at what looks like 1.75 to me and I confirm it by what I'm hearing through the system, no distortion in either channel or irregularities in the soundstage and imaging and placement of instruments and vocalists. Perhaps saying 1.75 it too much of an absolute when approximately is more appropriate.

frimleygreener likes this.
  9. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Indeed....I "think" I have the sweet spot.....but it is oh so tempting to give that slide a touch now and then just to make sure:)

aoxomoxoa and Morbius like this.
  10. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Have owned an Exact for over a year now and love it (P3) and like others have said it is very generous in the mid-range, so it should handle most of your records very well.

After some warm in time she really shines. You will not be wowed at first but try listening to the same records after it has been worn in.

SandAndGlass, bluemooze and aoxomoxoa like this.
  11. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

...Wonder if part of the reason its known/reported to track so well is because it seems to be pretty much always mounted on Rega arms - ie its alignment will be inherently correct. Not an aspect to be underrated!, and the absence of any doubt about that must be quite liberating.

andybeau and Morbius like this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

I set my "slider" with a test record and a blank groove until it is centered. Is this not the best method?

13. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I've known two people who say their Exact carts are too much for their phono pre-amp. Is this a finicky cartridge to match with a phono stage?

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Love the Exact. I have them on both of my RP6 tables. Great tracker and beautiful sound. I would describe it as clear, dynamic, incredibly detailed, and very slightly warm. Excellent paired with the Rega phono stages (Aria and Fono MK II).

15. Bob_in_OKC

The output of the Rega is higher than most, but I wouldn’t call that finicky. Phono stages with 40 dB gain or less are prevalent and seem to me like the best options for Rega cartridges. The Exact seemed to be too strong in my system, but my phono stage gain is 47 dB.

16. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

'Output: 6.8 - 7.2mV' - that is high.

17. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

The Exact on my RP-6 is what most others here has written. On a REGA table it is a no fuss just sit down and listen cart that does well.

18. aoxomoxoa

So I’m using a vintage Pioneer receiver. Will the output of the Exact be too high for my preamp? How do I know?

19. Bob_in_OKC

I think it’s an unusual occurrence, not one you’ll encounter with the typical receiver.

20. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

This description matches my experience of using the Exact on a Planar 3 with the Rega Fono MM MKII.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I'm assuming you got your RP3 with the Elys 2 which has a similar output to the Exact so if you weren't having problems with the Elys 2 you'll be ok with the Exact.

SandAndGlass, aoxomoxoa and andybeau like this.
  22. aoxomoxoa

Yes I am using the Elys2.
    I can't say I hate this cartridge but I have been longing for an upgrade. I think I will try the Exact

SandAndGlass and Morbius like this.
  23. If you like the ElysII you'll LOVE the ExactII. I wish I had held on to mine for Rega's 3 point simplicity sake. I sold a new one here after I flubbed an installation on my original and the dealer replaced it without question. (ps: ExactII has been out so long now that they just call it the Exact.)

24. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

same situation here...will be following...

25. Taylor7108

Taylor7108 Active Member

I just purchased the Exact and am expecting to receive it tomorrow! Very much anticipating the difference between my Elys and the Exact. I was happy with the Elys and the only thing I noticed was some inner groove distortion, but nothing that made me not enjoy my albums.

I have a question about the 3 point headshells. Reading the instruction guide for the Exact, it seems like there is really only one way to fit the nuts on the cart. What tool(s) do I need to remove the Elys and install the exact? I could not tell from the pictures what I should expect upon delivery.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.