Opinions ? -Simaudio Moon 310LP phono amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slick Willie, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive Thread Starter

Yes, thank you though, have a few in my Amazon cart also, just need to pull the trigger, just so ignorant on which recordings to buy, Zep I know, Mozart, well how many recorded them? Only one Zep, much easier!

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yes, I understand classical can be rather overwhelming to get into. I grew up with my parents playing in the house all the time. I started listening to it on my own as a teenager. My B.S. is in musicology (music history and theory).

Mozart is a fine way to get into listening to classical. I'm happy to answer questions.

3. Slick Willie

Thank you, parents did not listen, I just find it a natural fit, being a prog rock and metal fan. Some may find it strange, but I see the connection. I have 20-30 CD's-enjoy them, just don't know the best releases, Thanks for being a contact, I will use you if it's OK.

4. Josquin des Prez

Gramophone Magazine is a good place for reviews of new recordings. I've found a few there myself (like the Jonathan Plowshare recordings of Brahms piano music on the BIS label), among others.

5. Slick Willie

Thought I would update. after about 2 hrs in on the 310, the sound settled down somewhat. I noticed another change after about 15 hrs in. I am now approaching the 30-35 hour mark and have now noticed the biggest change in the sound. The highs, while still extended, have become much smoother, more natural sounding, and the bottom end has warmed a tad, but still with a lot of detail. I am now becoming happy with this unit, was not the case until yesterday. Anyone considering this unit must be patient and just put time on it. At 300 hrs manufacturers break in spec, this unit is very slow to settle in. I tried a power cable (Venom 3) change and was very surprised that it robbed the extension on the highs, more bottom in though. I will try the cable again after I have put more hours on the unit.

6. Josquin des Prez

I do now recall that when I had my Moon 110LP I hated it the first 24 hours and was ready to give it back to the dealer. He convinced me to give it another 24 hours and that made all the difference.

7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Check out a local classical record store if you can, and talk with the people who work there. I went in to mine here in Vancouver (Sikora's) several months ago and the boys in the shop listened to my newbie questions and have guided me beautifully down the classical path since. I absolutely love the stuff and am always surprised at how cheap really great, clean, mint LP pressings (or CDs) go for.

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

The Simaudio 310 lp is a first-class piece of audio gear.

I have one, and like it so much that I bought the 320s power supply, which makes the excellent phono stage sound even better. It makes well-recorded LPs really sing.

Before you buy, ensure you have a cartridge and turntable that will do this gear justice. There is no point to buying stuff like this if you have an entry-level cartridge and turntable.

Also, the Simaudio gears sounds good out of the box, but sounds much better after about 100 hours of play.

Regards, CJ.

hal jones likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

Thanks for the input. I do believe this is more than me current configuration needs, but it's all part of a master plan:shh:. I want to get into LOMC carts. I will then evaluate whether I need a table upgrade. I wanted a phono amp that I would not have to upgrade from no matter which direction I take the rest of the equipment.
    Current table is a Music Hall 7.1 with the factory Ortofon Mojo.

10. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Hi Slick.

Low mc carts are great.

I run a Dynavector DV20x2 low on my VPI Classic. Sweet sound.

Doing research before you buy is smart.

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Hy Slick Willie, I bought the 310LP awhile back (last November) after having LP3 for quite a while. I love mine as well and found most of what you said to be true. Very good bass; deep, quick, well defined. Cymbols and snares are also much more realistically reproduced. Jazz records with snares played with brushes used to just sound like distortion to me. Sound staging is really good. I was listening to records Saturday and filing away some blu-rays so I was like a foot or so from the center channel speaker and I could swear sound was coming out of it but when I moved my head an inch or two to the righ or left it was gone.

I bought mine used off Audiogon and used it for several months without the 320S power supply , then one came up as a demo on Music Direct (last April?) and i snagged it for a decent discount. The 320S does make a substantial difference but really give you more of what you're already experiencing.

I use mine with an AT150MLX and most would say that's an ice pick combo but I don't hear any of that and when I do listen to LPs it usually turns into an all day affair. I listened to J.J. Cale almost all day Saturday with no fatigue.

Hope you enjoy the Sim and if not hope you find something that suits you better.

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. Slick Willie

Well, I have around 50+ hours on this unit, it keeps changing. I decided to put on my Zep 2 RL x 2 on. I kept it in the 30-50% range (according to my needles) it bounced all over the place. Seen around 60% after the transition in the track. I had a venom 3 plugged into it. Beat me up so bad, I had to take a break. I now feel like I can find different, just not better as this price point, Quick, fast, quiet, dynamic, flexible, what else can one ask for. I have decided to keep this unit. Now, what about the power upgrade? Will this ever stop?

13. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

14. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

No. It will never stop. But to me, that's a good thing. Gives me somn to always strive for : the absolute best sound to my ears!

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. Slick Willie

Yeah, but the next step is just as pricey, a Lyros (?) then is my table up to it? Man, is there no end?

16. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

LOL... I choked on my wine that time.

NO!!!

17. Slick Willie

How does one justify this phono amp? Really too good for a MM. I love detail, realism, speed, attack, presence, where do I go? Do I play around, or just go for it????

18. Did you get the external power supply?

19. Slick Willie

Sadly no, is it that big of a difference? I do know the power cable upgrade made a small difference, well bottom end punch, that is.

20. Slick Willie

21. I have no direct experience with any preamps other than the ones I build and the Cambridge 640p. I can tell you though that phono preamps really like outboard power. It means you can move the magnetic field of the power transformer away from the audio stages. And I can tell by the size of the outboard unit that there will be more filtering and likely a larger capacity power transformer. More dynamics await IMO.

22. Slick Willie

Thanks a heck of a whole lot, did you just cost me another $1300, man I'm hatin' on you:realmad:. (you do know I'm kiddin' ?) Better than the power cab;e upgrade?

23. I think quite a bit better than just a power cable upgrade. let me scour the web and see if I can sus out more about the outboard power module.

24. Slick Willie

Thank you!!!!

25. OOPS for now I say no, this was at Stereophile "Adding the Moon 320S outboard power supply ($1399) tightened musical events but hardened the presence region" Darn! Seemed good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.