Opinions ? -Simaudio Moon 310LP phono amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slick Willie, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTW I used to have a shirt I bought at a Crimson concert with that picture on the front.

Slick Willie likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive Thread Starter

Please dumb down the term "tightened musical event/ hardened the presenses" What I hear now is "wet yo' pants" good", but somehow I bet it can get better...

3. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

"tightened musical event/ hardened the presenses" that was from Fremer's review. I think you have to take into account that his frame of reference includes six figure phonostages and the slightest niggle is apparent to him since he's heard the very best. At the end of the review I recall he said he would reccomend it without any reservations.

See my post on this page for what I wrote after getting the power supply back in april: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...amps-for-around-2k.312160/page-2#post-8754132

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I'm toying with this: http://redwineaudio.com/components/analogica
    Which replaces the RWA Ginevra LFP-V

And this: http://shop.generubinaudio.com/Musical-Surroundings-Nova-Phonomena-II-Phono-Stage-616816811946.htm
    Which replaces the original Nova Phonomena

Both are extremely well-reviewed and give the option for MC carts as well. PLUS, they are battery-powered stages which completely eliminates the need for the extra $$$ for separate power supplies, $$$ cables, etc.

Slick Willie likes this.
  5. Well there you go! I was just worried that the extra regulation sucked the life out of the top end once I read the Stereophile review. I had exactly what Stereophile was describing happen when I added extra regulation on a SS guitar amp so that is why I was cautious about reccomending this.

6. Slick Willie

I thought I would update this thread. After about 9 months with this unit, I am happy to state that I am more pleased with it than ever. It seems to have "settled down" in the last month or so - so now I am considering the outboard power supply. I am about 6 months behind on a planned cart upgrade because I am loving what I hear so much. I can now strongly recommend this unit to any solid state fan. Even tube fans may be happy with it. It is super quiet, dynamic, with a strong detailed bass and extended highs. IMO, you can buy different at this price point, not better.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have had one of these on loan for two weeks while waiting for a Herron VTPH-2 to be delivered. I agree with everything you say, except that it does miss what I like about tubes. I have heard the 320 PSU takes the 310 to quite another level. I would go for it.

Meanwhile, my Herron came today and so far it is killer!

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. Jim in Houston

Keep an eye on Music Direct, they often have the 320s for demo price. That's where I got mine.

While I wouldn't say its "essential", it is definitely worthwhile.

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

Thanks guys! I am not expecting the same increase with the 320 that I got with the 310. Just looking at refining/taking it to another level. And then....an MC cart?

10. Josquin des Prez

I think if you aren't using a LOMC with the 310 you are missing out on some of what it has to offer.

11. Slick Willie

Absolutely, wanted to break it in first. The Lyra Delos is on the top of the short list.

12. Josquin des Prez

I really like my Clearaudio Talisman v2 Gold. If I change it will be to upgrade to the Concerto V2.

Slick Willie likes this.
  13. Slick Willie

Cool, that is on my list, also considering one of their tables. I like detail, love dynamics, and enjoy doing comparisons between different pressings. I'm a "Joe Friday" kind of guy.

14. Josquin des Prez

Clearaudio tables and arms are great. Everything from the Concept on up. The Performance DC is a lot of bang for the buck.

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. Slick Willie

Yes, the DC is on my short list, value for buck wise. Then there is the Ovation....that Clarify arm is tempting...

16. Josquin des Prez

The Ovation is awesome. That's what I have. I had problems with the magnetic bearings of the Clarify causing it to get unsettled to easily sitting on a wall bracket of an outside wall. When it was on an inside wall before that, I had no problem at all. I changed to a different arm (Magnify) that solved the problem. The Clarify arm sounds fantastic and is a great value, but make sure it won't be too sensitive in your setup.

17. Slick Willie

Thanks, mine is on an outside wall. Why is this setup so sensitive? That concerns me. A great table should be oblivious to outside forces!

18. Josquin des Prez

My listening room is on the second floor of a two-story brick house. The turntable is on a SolidSteel WS-5 wall bracket mounted on a plaster-on-brick outside wall.

The magnetic bearing of the Clarify arm seems to recover more slowly from getting upset by vibration than a mechanical bearing arm. For example, when a truck drives by outside, or strong wind beats on the house, or my wife slams the door shut coming in, the Clarify arm would move in its bearing in response to the vibrations. This manifests as the music going out of pitch for a second or so. With rock, jazz it's not as noticeable, but with classical it will drive you nuts because that tends to have more sustained tones. With a mechanical bearing arm, it might also get upset with such movement, but it recovers so quickly you don't notice (or at least that's my theory about it).

The Magnify arm I have is a hybrid magnetic/mechanical bearing arm, but it does not react like the Clarify did for me. However, it is a lot more expensive ($3750 retail for the standalone arm vs about $1500 for the Clarify), and it does represent a big sonic upgrade. The Performance DC or Ovation can also be ordered with the mechanical bearing Unify arm, which is excellent and comparable in price to the Clarify. For the Performance DC it is a nominal up-charge but I think with the Ovation it may be a straight substitution.

However, don't take my word for it all. I'm just telling you my personal experience. YMMV. You should work with your dealer to audition it and get sorted with an alternate arm choice if it is a problem.

If I did it all over again, I don't think I would change a thing. I love my Ovation/Magnify/Talisman setup. It is a fantastic rig.

arar and raferx like this.
  19. Slick Willie

Thanks for that!!! Dealer, audition? I'm in the sticks, that is a lot of my problem, no way to audition anything. Unless I travel about 4 hrs away - for anything. That's just the way it is.

20. Josquin des Prez

If you want the Performance DC or Ovation with the Clarify you should get one. Both are great tables. If for some reason you have issues similar to mine, I have no doubt Musical Surroundings would work with you to get it sorted (like with an alternate arm). They have outstanding customer service, second to none.

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

Thanks, I am looking at their site now.

22. Did you ever add the 320s? If so, what were your thoughts?

I just upgraded my entire analog front end to Brinkmann Oasis, Graham Phantom Supreme and Lyra Delos to use with my SimAudio Moon 310LP. Very happy with the results though everything needs to break-in. If the 320s can make this even better, it might be worth it.

23. See my post above. Can you describe the improvements you heard in your system?

24. Jim in Houston

Hi Brian,

This is what i wrote in April 2013:

It's hard the to remember what the exact difference was because it's been the "new normal" for over a year now. But I know love every minute of LP listening.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  25. Well, I ordered it from MusicDirect for pretty cheap and I can return it if I don't see enough difference, so I guess I'll know in a few days.

Jim in Houston likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.