Opinions wanted: Fisher TX-300 Professional series amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I came across this old solid state integrated amp this weekend.

I was told that it was made in the '60's before silicon based transistors. It is supposed to be 30 watts a side.

Not that I need yet another amp, :)rolleyes: ) but it looks pretty minty-nice! And as one cannot have too much stereo equipment.... and it may just possibly be a great component in my (future) surround sound system... and it looks sooooo cool.... ;) .

Any comments will be appreciated!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My comment is "no"!

3. Gary

Because of the lack of tubes or the sound quality of the unit?

My original surround system plan was to go with Dynaco amps (since I had a "spare" hanging around).

I know it aint perfect but I gotta do *something* with all that extra equipment!

4. Steve Hoffman

Only if very cheap.

The early "transistoried" gear really sounds like sheet!

5. Gary

I no needs sheet. I've had enuf of that stuff in my lifetime.

Merci!

Gary

6. Steve Hoffman

Sheet es bad.

How much was this puppy?

7. Gary

$250.00 Canadian.

I can easily get a Dynaco SCA-80Q for $100.00 (an older design from the '50's, or so I've been told). They apparently made lots and lots of them!

Or a Dynaco SCA-50 for $100.00 (a newer design from the '70's) but they are harder to find.

Both in CAD, of course!

Have you heard either of these Dynaco amps? Any ideas of which one I should get??

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'm not sure that I agree with that comment Gary. I think I have too much gear - only one system is getting used, so what's all this other stuff I have for?

I suppose it's good to have a spare CD player and a spare amp in case the main ones have to be shipped off for service, but I'm thinking it's not the right use of resources to have equipment sitting unused.

Regards,
    Geoff

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

That SCA-80Q is a transistor quad amp if my memory bank is functioning properly - I believe it's 20 watts a channel - Dyna didn't monkey with transistor equipment til the mid 60's - they DID make a neat integrated amp with tubes that apparently is kind of a sleeper - that might be what yer thinkin' of - I think that's the SCA-35. Take the link for Dyna info http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/

10. Gary

I missed the tubed integrated amp by 2 hours. Dang-nab-it! :mad:

I was told the SCA-80Q was 40 watts a side. Quad meant that it could handle 4 speakers (a Big Thing in those days) but only one source. I know some Fisher and other amps boasted of "4 channel sound.... which meant 4 speakers. Maybe those were the days of mono....

Geoff, almost all of my equipment is used for either the "house system" or the "listening system". I have three more sets of speakers to put into use... more amps = more stereo systems! A Good Thing....

.... and my wife has not killed me yet. Another Good Thing.....

:cool:

11. Gary

This makes sense, Indy Mike!

And thanks for the link....

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Yer welcome! I'm a Dyna man meself - grew up inna pad where my pop built a MK II (got that - needs lotsa work), then built a ST-70/PAS-2 (older brother got that - rotting in his basement - grrrrrrrrrr) - I remember those yellow/green boxes of Amperex EL-34's (wish he'd bought some extras of those!). I have a pair of MK-IV 40 watt mono amps and a PAS-3X which I run occasionally (not loved by my missus attall - she doesn't like the heat or looks of those bad boys when they're fired up). I run a slightly hot-rodded ST-150 amp (better caps) - over 25 years young and still kicking (slightly harsh) ass!!!

13. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

Gary, where do you shop for components? I'm also in the GTA, and any help finding vintage gear would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.