Oppo 103 analog out vs. digital hdmi

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zonka, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zonka

zonka Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just a question to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. I have a direct ethernet connection to my Oppo 103 connected to Denon 3300 connected to a Rotel power amp via the pre-out. I listen exclusively to flac files from my computer through the ethernet.
    I just got the Rotel from Craig's list (best cheap upgrade I've ever made to my modest system). I decided to see what the analog outputs would sound like, since I've always used hdmi. I was stunned to find that it sounded noticeably better to my ears (my wife immediately concurred without hearing my opinion) than the hdmi connection. I know this involves an extra analog to digital conversion since I use bass management in my Denon - you would think that it would be worse, but I think it is obviously better. Is it because the DAC in the Oppo 103 is that much better than the DAC in the Denon 3300 (meaning it is getting a better signal from the analog to begin with since it is using the Oppo's DAC)?
    I would love to hear any opinions or theories or similar experiences.
    Thanks,
    Drew

2. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I had a similar experience. An HTPC connected to a Denon 4308ci receiver through HDMI and I've been frustrated for years by the 2 channels audio performance. The moment I connected a dedicated stereo integrated through the pre-out of the Denon to the HT bypass of the integrated I suddenly experienced a great improvement which was mostly in the channel separation and imaging of the sound.

I then tried another experiment. Same HTPC and same Integrated, but this time connected through a USB DAC, same stunning improvement in FLAC 2 channels music. Just to confirm, I connected a Chromecast to a spare HDMI input on the Denon and let it stream throught the pre-out to the integrated and found that Tidal suddenly sounded very good. Basically it didn't matter how the source was connected as long as the audio was going through the pre-out.

So this rule out the HDMI connection to the receiver. What is left is the Denon 4308ci itself, which is a great HT multi-channel audio performer but apparently sounds very dull, muddied and uninspiring with 2 channels audio.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The DAC in the Denon appears to have a rather dull and boring presentation. It's not a mattter or two channel or multi, but it seems that this DAC can be topped by an Oppo effortlessly.

The Denon is likely a lovely piece of analog gear, so long as it's DAC is not utilized.

I don't see how 2-channel has anything to do with it.

4. zonka

But it's DAC has to be used if using Audyssey or bass management, correct? If I want to use my sub I'm not seeing an easy way around Denon's DAC unless I am fundamentally misunderstanding how all of this works (which is a distinct possibility!).

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, true, you need to work around the bass issues staying away from the internal DAC. You should be happy to do this knowing the sound is so improved. Not to be snarky, but deal with it. There should be some controls with the receiver that help. What is the problem with bass on this amp?

6. zonka

Nothing - the bass sounds great. I was just wondering how to work around the Denon's DAC but with all the other stuff I have hooked via hdmi to the Denon I think I'll just have to make my peace and decide it is good enough. For whatever reason the analog outs to the Denon (with bass management) to the Rotel sounds great. I'm like many other here - always chasing the mythical holy grail of sound our equipment can give us! I need to learn that this is good enough:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.