Oppo 103 vs 93

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deadbase, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident Thread Starter

Im looking to pick one up and would like some advice from the experts.
    A local audio shop has 2 of these in used. They are in beautiful shape and work perfect.
    I'm wanting it for bluray, SACD and DVDA. I'll also be using it for mkv.

One is $400 the other is $200. Is there a big enough difference to justify spending the extra $200?
    Or should I look at new?
    Thanks!

2. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I will assume that the 93 is $200 and the 103 is $400. If this is not the case please advise. That said, if the 93 still has ISO capable firmware I would grab that one especially for the price as it is getting pretty tough to find a 93 with firmware version: BDP9x-61-1219, which means it can play BDMV folder, blu-ray ISO file as well as SACD-R disc.With newer version,the ISO support is removed so you would not want to have automatic firmware enabled and better yet don't connect it to the internet.
    Now if SACD ripping is important to you get the 103 as the 93 won't rip SACD's
    Or better yet if the 93 has ISO playback capability buy both like I did!

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm pretty sure the 93 (I don't own one) has a cooling fan that's audible during quiet passages.

The 103 (I do own one) has no fan, thus no fan noise.

audiomixer, Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I believe the 93 also has component video out if you have a non HDMI display.

quicksrt and scobb like this.
  5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The odds are pretty good that it has been updated already. It takes a tiny bit of determination for your Oppo not get upgraded if you accidentally connect it to the internet. I'm guessing that most people will just say "OK" when asked. But you can always test this by either checking the firmware version, or brining in a homemade SACD-R to see if it is recognized or not.

Also, early 103s could read ISOs and SACD-Rs too. But these were updated within about 6 months of introduction, so the odds that it has that firmware are very slim.

Also the 103 is a potential SACD ripper if you wanted, whereas the 93 is not. And the 93 has analog video outputs whereas the 103 does not. So depending upon if ripping is something that you intend to do, or if you need analog video outputs, the choice should be clear.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've owned both, and still have the 103. The 93 doesn't have a cooling fan, I think the 83 did. Sonically, there's no real difference to write home about.

I bought the 103 for SACD ripping, which it does very well and is an important feature for me. This might be something you don't care about now, but might later down the road, and might be a wise reason to invest an extra $200. If you're absolutely certain you'll never care, $200 is a great price for the 93.

7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Further to the informative and knowledgeable replies already given...............and with thanks to Unofficial OPPO BDP-103 Frequently Asked Questions ยป

HOW IS THE BDP 103 DIFFERENT TO THE BDP 93

These features are the same:

• Dual HDMI Output
    • Marvell Qdeo on HDMI1 (now chip version KG2H)
    • No fan
    • Same ethernet
    • USB 2.0
    • 24p for DVD
    • RS232
    • IR in
    • 7.1 analog audio
    • Optical and coax audio
    • HDCD, SACD and DVD-A
    • Supports PAL DVD and 1080i50 Blu-ray (subject to region coding restrictions)
    • The DAC is the same as the BDP-93, the Cirrus Logic CS4382A (8-ch, 24-bit, 192khz).
    • Subtitle and On Screen Display shift, vertical stretch zoom for Constant Image Height projectors
    • The free third-party SuperDisc software mod to make the player region-free for DVD still works.
    • Online services:
      • Netflix (upgraded in the BDP-103 to support 1080p, 5.1 audio, subtitles)
      • VUDU (upgraded in the BDP-103 to support 3D)
      • Pandora
      • Picasa Web Album
      • Berliner Philharmoniker
      • YouTube Leanback
      • CinemaNow
      • Rhapsody Online Music

These features are different:........

• More powerful custom dual-core CPU
    • The latest decoder chip from MediaTek
    • 1GB SLC internal memory
    • The Home Menu and Media Center user interfaces are redesigned
    • New wireless dongle
    • SACD DSD can be played only on HDMI2; if converted to PCM it can play over both HDMI1 & 2 (103 only; the 103D does not have this restriction)
    • New remote (slight changes, same 3 code set)
    • Improved IR reception on the front panel
    • Cinavia (mandatory starting in 2012)
    • grounded AC
    • Zoom is a popup control like other selections

These features are added:

• 1 HDMI input on the back
    • 1 HDMI/MHL compatible input on the front
    • 2 USB ports in the back, 1 in the front
    • 4K-by-2K upscaling
    • 2D->3D conversion
    • simultaneous HD audio from both HDMI outputs
    • Gracenote for extra media info: cover art, catalog info
    • Support for hard drives > 2TB with GPT
    • DTS Neo:6 decoder
    • SMB/CIFS (experimental)
    • DLNA DMP and DMR
    • DMR Seek capability (since firmware 50-0323B)
    • price includes 2-year warranty (up from 1 year)
    • New media file types:
      • FLV (Flash Video)
      • MPO (Multi Picture Object)
      • 3GP
      • DSD (Direct Stream Digital) file playback, both DFF and the DSF formats (since firmware 50-0323B)
      • AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) (since firmware 50-0323B)
      • ALAC (Apple Lossless) (since firmware 58-0719B)
    • New container combinations:
      • FLAC in MKV
      • DTS-HD Master in MKV
      • Dolby Digital TrueHD in MKV
    • New online services:
      • Rhapsody
      • CinemaNow
    • CUE file playback (since firmware 50-0323B)
    • persistent playlists for music files on local USB storage (since firmware 50-0323B)
    • exFAT file system on local storage (since firmware 50-0323B)
    • selectable Deinterlacing Mode (since firmware 50-0323B)
    • A/V Sync setting (since firmware 50-0323B)
    • Illuminated front panel eject button
    • Optional Quick Start Mode
    • HDMI Audio Return Channel
    • USB keyboard support (experimental)
    • Roku Streaming Stick support

These features are subtracted:

• No component video (recent AACS licensing kills component video for Blu-ray)
    • No eSATA
    • No aspect ratio setups for 4:3 TVs
    • No rubber tab over the front USB port
    • Composite video is limited to debugging purposes (shows Setup & Resolution menus)
    • BDMV folders are no longer supported on DVD media. (This was a directive from the Blu-Ray Disc Association; I don't know why they care).
    • The "AVCHD trick" where Blu-ray backups could be played if the BDMV folder were copied into and AVCHD folder no longer works. This was removed in firmware firmware 50-0323B, by command of the licensing authorities.
    • SACD-R support was removed in firmware 50-0323B. (This is the writeable format for home-made discs and copies. Regular SACD is still supported).

SandAndGlass and StimpyWan like this.
  8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I just bought a 103D on Ebay, I had a 93 before.

I find the quality of the drive to be superior. My 93 made more noise during Blu-ray playback, but this could just have been bad luck with mine.

A huge improvement are the file playback functions, especially the Media Control app and SMB access.

- SMB (accessing a Windows share) is missing on the 93, and DLNA file access is so much less convenient.

- The Media Control app for Android is highly improved compared to the version for the 93. On the latter, when selecting files on the app, you can't use the remote anymore, you have to do everything on the app. With the 103, you can still use both, for example selecting an album with the app browser and hitting play, then pausing and skipping tracks with the remote. With the 103, it's convenient not to switch on the screen at all and easily control music playback with the app and remote.

- The 103 can work as a DLNA Digital Media renderer, while the 93 is just a Digital Media Player. This means that with the 103, you can launch file playback on the computer (select file, right click --> "Play To", choose the Oppo). You can also cast Youtube (and other) videos from the computer internet browser to the Oppo, which is more convenient than using the Oppo Youtube function.

- The 103 also offers gapless playback, with limitations. And it plays DSD files.

So as an audio streamer, it is highly improved.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    mikeyt, tmtomh and SamS like this.
  9. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I love my 93, but it's developed a problem playing blu-ray discs from Fox . I had mine for 4 years before it stopped loading Fox BDs (which had played perfectly in the past). On other websites, I came across a few folks who had the exact same issue.

sa5150 and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

wrong on the fan

SandAndGlass, Kristofa and gd0 like this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Did you update the firmware? I'm not aware of any Blu-rays that absolutely refuse to play, assuming the most recent firmware is installed on the player.

12. jjhunsecker

Yep. And I contacted Oppo directly and followed all of their instructions. Nothing worked. They say it's a problem with reading the "metadata" on some blu-rays. They offered to fix it for $80 since it's out of warrenty. On this and other sites, I've come across a few people who had the exact same problem, almaost always with discs from Fox, so there must be something in their manufacturing that causes this issue

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Fox uses some finicky copy protection that has sidelined countless (older) Blu-ray players.

14. jjhunsecker

The funny thing is that I had numerous Fox discs ("Star Wars" films, numerous Bond titles, "Raging Bull") that played perfectly in the past, and no longer will load at all. And a few Twilight Time discs that may be manufactured by them as well . Everything else (other companies's Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, SACDs, etc) still play with no issues.

15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Really ......they should be charging Fox..... not you.

ti-triodes likes this.
  16. jjhunsecker

I agree ! A guy who had the same problem said that Oppo doesn't really fix it, instead they just send you a refurbished model. So I haven't had mine "fixed" (as I fear that the "new" one sent to me would have developed the same problem down the road). I'm thinking of just buying the new model (203)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

They don't usually replace your unit unless it's a major failure. I wouldn't be worried about an Oppo refurb. Most people who have gotten one say it looks new. Any you get another Oppo shopping bag out of the deal. :)

Linger63 and gd0 like this.
  18. jjhunsecker

A guy on another site who had the exact same problem, and sent his in for repair, got a refurb...I'm just wary of this model again, so I'm saving up for the 203. Oppo is the only brand that suits all my needs, and I generally love my player

ti-triodes likes this.
  19. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I've had my Oppo BDP-93 for almost 6 years and has been working flawlessly since day 1, they are built like a tank and I have played plenty of hybrids SACD's on it, no problem reading them after 6 years.

20. jjhunsecker

I have had mine for about 4 years, and EXCEPT for this new problem playing Fox blu-rays (which started about 5 months ago), mine still plays perfectly as well with everything else

21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The problem is with Fox. They are notorious for their absolute paranoia and constantly tinker with copy protection. Makers like Oppo have to keep issuing FW updates to keep up with the stupidity. In fact, Oppo announced that some new BD's won't play on the 83 because the there is no room left on the chip to add any more FW updates.

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Its weird that they want $80 for something that feels like a pure firmware issue. It's not like they're going to pull chips and replace them with Fox-friendly alternatives.

SandAndGlass, Doug_B and Claude like this.
  23. jjhunsecker

I wonder why blu-rays that previously played have now STOPPED playing , and don't even load ?

24. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Can you name a couple of the discs? Perhaps we can attempt to replicate your issue.

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

If this problem concerns a few "weird" Blu-ray discs only, the simplest solution - if you have a Windows computer with a Blu-ray drive - would be to rip the discs with MakeMKV and play the movies as files on the Oppo, from a USB disc. Unless the thing on the Fox discs makes it impossible to rip them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.