Oppo 103 vs 93

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deadbase, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

"Star Wars" films, Connery and Moore Bond films, "Raging Bull", "Oklahoma", "South Pacific" are just some

2. jjhunsecker

A guy on another site with the same issues thinks that Oppo does not know how to fix this problem, or why it occurrs, so they just give you a refurbished model instead

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

More likely outdated loader firmware/hardware, that can't be updated, only replaced.

4. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I own the BDP-103.......and it has functioned flawlessly......couldn't be happier with it. Never one issue....

jmrife likes this.
  5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Sorry, I don't have any of those discs.

6. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

For me, the most important difference is the HDMI Input on the back of the 103. I use it to play 5.1 high resolution FLAC files from my mac mini. I route the signal through the 5.1 analog outputs on the 103 to the corresponding inputs on my preamp. Works great. The only separate DACs that can do this are literally several thousands of dollars.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. jjhunsecker

The issue is that these discs played perfectly in the past , and then would no longer play

8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

It is strange that it only happens with Fox BD's. Maybe it's due to the plant where the discs were authored. Have you tried cleaning ths discs?

9. jjhunsecker

Cleaned the discs, used a cleaning disc in the player, cleared the storage on the player, pulled the plug overnight, reset to factory settings- you name it, I tried it ! It is almost only Fox BDs (and a few Twilight Time titles that someone on another site said is probably from the same replicator) that show this problem. Blu-rays from all other companies play perfectly, as well as DVDs, CDs, SACD and DVD-Audio discs. I ran into others on different A/V sites who had the exact same problem with Oppo and Fox Blu-rays, as well as a guy on here with that issue with his (I believe) Denon Universal player. Oppo tells me it's a problem with my player reading the "meta-data"...it must be something unique to Fox

10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Actually the response from Oppo clears it up a bit. It probably is due to the changing DRM that Fox applies to it's BD's. It seems to give some players fits. They've been the worst company, by far, when it comes to this nonsense.

11. Larry Griffin

Larry Griffin New Member

My BDP-93 developed the same problem with Fox Blu Rays not loading/playing. It also will not save setup changes. Just curious if you found a cure? Thanks.

12. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

The BDP-93 doesn't always correctly read cues embedded in Blu-ray discs encoded with Atmos thus causing glitches. The BDP-103 supposedly fixed this issue.

13. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I tested several Fox BDs today on my BDP-93, all the Star Wars discs, The Omen, all the Alien discs from the Anthology set, The French Connection I and II, The Towering Inferno, Prometheus...
    They all work properly. Do you have your 93 connected to Internet? I don't, I've never used the USB WiFi dongle, I did all firmware updates via USB. That may help...

14. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Forget Oppo , buy New Sony X800 better sound & video

15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Give it a rest mate...................:doh: :shake: :rolleyes:

16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think George said something like....

[​IMG]

17. jjhunsecker

No, nothing worked. Used a cleaning disc, cleared the storage (like Oppo advised when I contacted them), reset the settings. Nothing fixed the problem...so I have a whole bunch of BDs (mainly Fox, a few others such as "Titanic"and a few Twilight Time discs) that simply will not play. ALL other discs (other company blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio discs) play perfectly.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the oppo 103 & 105 are both much much n more than $400 on both ebay and amazon.........if i could get a 103 for $400 i'd buy it on the spot.

Kristofa likes this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

does the sony have HDCD capabilities

20. jjhunsecker

You're lucky...for now. Literally this problem happened almost overnight- I watched a Fox BD and then a few days later that disc (and others from Fox) would not even load. And I'm not alone- on other boards I came across several others who had the same exact issue. Oppo offered to fix it for $80- however a guy on another board with the same issue said he sent his in and received a refurbished unit as a replacement . That makes me think that Oppo cannot actually fix this. It must be something that Fox specifically is putting on their BDs that the Oppo is unable to pick up (some aspect of the optical pickup that fails over time).

BTW- My player is not connected to the internet.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  21. jjhunsecker

Unfortunately, the Sony lacks 7.1 analog outs- I have an old (but still very good) receiver that does not have an HDMI input. So I'll probably just end up getting a new Oppo when I can afford it

22. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I preferred the video on the 93 over the 103. Never really directly compared audio, both seemed good enough there though...but currently using the 103 for audio only as a transport that can play SACD, DVD-A, CD, and decode HDCD with a Schitt modi multi bit DAC and it's a good sounding, relatively low cost combo....that can play anything. Pretty sure the current oppo models don't decode HDCD and I have a good number of those discs.
    If your priority is audio performance, I'd say probably go 103. But I think the 93 has better video.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You've done direct comparisons to the X800 and the Oppo? If you did which models? HDMI or analog?

24. Larry Griffin

Larry Griffin New Member

Going to send mine in to Oppo for a fix. Will post when it is returned. Thanks again.

25. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I opened my BDP-93 as soon as guarantee expired but I don't remember if the BD/DVD/CD reading drive can be easisly replaceble. If it is maybe Oppo could send you one and change it yourself. If Oppo offered other BDP-93 owners to fix their player and they ended up receiving a refurbished unit most likely Oppo run out of those discs reading drives and what they're doing is "Frankenstein refurbished units" taking what works well from here and that player they have around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.