Oppo 105 and Amazon Firestick

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Diver110, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I plugged the Firestick inopto the HDMI inport, Oppo is hooked to a Samsung TV. The Oppo did not seem to recognize the Firestick, or perhaps the Samsung, not the newest model is the weak link. I also have a hard time getting the Samsung to act as a monitor for the Oppo e.g. for set up. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Did you connect the Firestick to its USB power supply?

3. Diver110

4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

You are doubly positive you plugged it into the HDMI input? Oh, don't ask why I ask.

5. Diver110

Just double checked, yes.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Did you use the HDMI input on the front of the OPPO? I ask because mine seems to have stopped working and I had the same problem with my Chromecast stick. When I used the HDMI input at the back, it worked.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sounds like there is more of an issue with the TV not recognizing the signal from the OPPO, rather than just a FireStick issue?

8. Diver110

No, I used the one at the back.

9. Diver110

I am wondering too if that is the issue. I am not even sure how to resolve it. It plays videos fine. My Samsung TV is several years old. I suppose I could ask at Best Buy where I bought it.

10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ah, ok. Pity.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Doubtful Best But can help. What exactly is the issue? Can you try a different HDMI cable?

12. Diver110

Originally I posted that I could not get my Amazon Firestick to work in my Oppo. The problem may be the way the Oppo communicates with my Samsung Widescreen, which is several years old. Cds and DVDs play fine, but, for example, I cannot get the Samsung to act as a monitor for the Oppo to change settings. Any words of wisdom?

13. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Why would you plug the fire stick into the Oppo? Not enough HDMI inputs?

14. Diver110

I thought the sound might be better.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If a "DVD plays fine", then press the Setup button on the OPPO remote while watching a DVD to change settings.

16. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

In order for the files on a thumb drive or a hard drive to play, a folder is put on said drive from the Oppo that is needed to enable the music files playable.
    Does a fire stick plug into HDMI or USB? You may want to contact Oppo for an answer if it will work.

17. Diver110

Thanks. I did not realize the DVD had to be playing.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It doesn't. But if you're actually watching a disc while you press the setup button, there is nothing that would prevent you from seeing the setup options on your TV.

19. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Plug firestick into tv, then optical out from tv to receiver.

20. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

My Oppo BDP-95 has a menu similar to the one below that allows access to different things plugged into the Oppo (I can switch from watching a blu-ray disk to listening to music from a memory stick, for example). There's a button on my remote to access this and it's labeled 'Home'. You might try going thru this menu to access the firestick... (assuming you can get this menu shown on your tv)

[​IMG]

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The Amazon Firestick works for me in the front port on my Oppo 103.

@Diver110 - when you push the home button on the oppo remote, do you see the menu on your Samsung regardless of what is running on the Oppo?

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

He needs to use the INPUT button on his OPPO remote to select the front or rear HDMI input where the FireStick is connected.

Digital-G likes this.
  23. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yes it should give 5.1 whereas the TV could be 2.0 or 3.0. However, have you tested the Firestick direct to the Samsung?

24. Diver110

Thanks for the feedback. Still no success. Yes, I tried the Firestick directly in my Samsung. Worked fine. Using the Oppo remote, I got the screen on the Oppo to say "HDMI" back. But when I went to the Samsung, it did not show the Firestick. To Digital-G's point, I sometimes get that menu, and sometimes I don't. When I did, the Firestick did not show up on it, but I did not try scrolling (should have). I will try that tonight.

25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I had the same issue on my Oppo 103Bd - firestick in front HDMI didn't work -but in my Samsung TV HDMI it worked fine - I tried the HDMI in back of the OPPO - and it worked - so I moved the Roku to the front HDMI and the Firestick to the back - and now both work fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.