Oppo 105D with Modwright Modification

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Just passing lots of experience (not only mine but many others). As a matter of policy Dan is not going to recommend anything but current production tubes; that doesn't mean he doesn't know that some NOS tubes will sound better (I've discussed this with him both over the phone and in person). And of course NOS is a crapshoot, but many dealers will give you a 30 day (or sometimes even longer) money-back guarantee. I can replace my Tung-Sol's with the Sophias any time I want, and do so from time to time. If you don't want to get sucked down a rabbit-hole, don't ever listen to Pope's, or the old Tung-Sol's, or the Sylvania nickel-base, because if you do you'll end up going on a long hunt to try to find a good pair. :D

2. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I have a 105 and was going to have the mod this past summer. I didn't get around to it so am waiting for Oppo's next player. Hopefully they will have a new unit out by summer.

3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Maybe not 'til Fall or a liitle later, according to Oppo. Hopefully they will make a unit wth ESS's new super DAC chip!

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

It could be a while after Oppo releases a new player before Dan introduces mods for it, and that assumes he can and does do it. There could be numerous reasons he doesn't end up supporting a mod for a player, such as perceived benefit from stock unit and ability to include the necessary circuitry (design considerations, space considerations). It could also include waiting for a critical mass of market penetration / potential customers knocking on his door, given no technical challenges to modability.

Naturally, there could be others who offer mods for a given player (any with tube mods, though?).

Doug

Tullman likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

The made in Holland 5R4GYS that was recommended by Modwright from Upscale Audio was made in Feb 72, hardly current production.

I do understand where you are coming from. ( I have my own little crusade for people to get their tv's professionally calibrated.) I do not doubt your description about Pope tubes etc. I'm just not prepared to go there at this time. Hopefully the Sophia's and the Phillips prove to be better than the stock tubes.

6. Tullman

Ok, I put Holland Philips 5R4GYS and the Sophia 6SN7 tubes. The bass was much deeper with the replacement tubes. They also had more midrange bloom. I prefer the replacement tubes, but could easily live with the supplied tubes. Keep in mind the replacement to tubes had zero break in time.

I campared the Oppo to my APL 3910 only playing DVD-A's and immediately noticed that the Oppo had more detail. The APL midrange was slightly better. The Oppo's bass was superior by a long shot. I went back and forth on several discs and ended up perferring the Oppo. That says something because when I compared the none modded Oppo to the APL it wasn't even close. The APL was much better. I am happy that the Oppo out performed the APL because the Oppo can do blu-ray etc... and the APL is getting long in the tooth. These results were with very little break-in time. I would think the Oppo will still improve from here.

Next up was the Esoteric K-05. I first compared SACDs and it was a mixed bag. I perferred the Oppo maybe 1 out of four samples. Compared to the K-05 the Oppo sounded euphonic. Instruments could be slightly smeared together as compared to the K-05. I believe the K-05 gave a more realistic presentation to the music. The Oppo had more bass, which was good accurate bass. Next I tried CDs. The K-05 has upsampling features. I have the K-05 set to upsample to DSD. The CDs in the Oppo sounded nice, but the K-05 out performed it hands down. I didn't perfer the Oppo on any samples of cds. As I said before, the K-05 changed my mind on the capabilities of the cd.

In conclusion, the Modwright Oppo is one impressive machine and I am very happy and excited to have such a fine Universal player that sounds amazing. I am reluctant to pull it out of the main system because it is superior to the APL on DVD-A playback. I have a small sun room where my wife and I like to enjoy music and music videos, which was the main purpose of the Oppo, blu-ray music videos. The reason I modded the Oppo was because I couldn't listen to music on it. It sounded thin and bright.

It would be nice if some of the others that have the Modwright 105 would share some of their comparisons and experiences. rbbert has already shared the ultimate tubes for the modwright. How about power cords or interconnects.

Erik Tracy and Metralla like this.
  7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'm using a Shunyata Venom for the player, but am experimenting with somewhat more upscale PC's for the power supply. I know there is a replacement for the Truth umbilical as well, but at about $1000 I haven't really thought too much about it.

8. Tullman

I am using the Venom for both the player and power supply. The umblical is already a high quality wire, I'm not interested in spending an extra thousand either.

9. HedgeHog

HedgeHog Well-Known Member

Belated congrats.

FWIW, I have the 105 (not D) Modwright with all mods. For cables, I used Venom (not 3) and liked the airiness but found it a tad thin. I have switched to the Lessloss DFPC Originals (for power supply and the player). Sounds a fuller. I have the newer Venom 3 on my computer audio set elsewhere and like them a lot. Great price for the cables. If the Lessloss didn't cost so much more, I'd properly pursue those for everything.

For tubes, I was surprised to find out that the power tubes swap was very audible. I didn't like the Philips 5R4GYS that much but I love the EML 5U4G mesh in there. More low end and kick. For the 6SN7, I cycle between Sophia (clean but thin), Tung Sol 6F8G RP with Woo Audio adapters (darker and smooth), and the PSVANE CV-181 TII (somewhere in between) depending on my mood and music I'm listening too.

Have fun!

-H

10. Tullman

Hedge Hog, The EML tube has more low end kick? Wow, the Philips I have has plenty of low end, I don't think I need more there. Those Lessloss cables look awesome, but I can't prioritize spending $1100 on power cables for that unit. I did try some Grover power cable, which is superior to the Venom 3, but again more expensive.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Many people really like the older JAN 5U4G (KenRad, RCA and occasionally others) also, and the late '50's and early '60's Mullard GZ34 (or 5AR4) have their adherents as well (these NOS tubes are vastly different in quality and character than any of the newer "Mullard" tubes). One can experiment almost endlessly, and probably the wider variety of tubes listened to the less likely there is to be a consensus ;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    KeninDC likes this.
  12. HedgeHog

HedgeHog Well-Known Member

I think you made a good choice with the Venom 3. They are really good for the price. You should just keep using them.

For my taste, the Philips did nothing for me. The EML made a big positive difference. But there are those that prefer something else. The fun and costly endeavor of tube rolling. :)

Enjoy!

Tullman likes this.
  13. Tullman

It's the costly part that has me balking. If these tube were $30 a pop then it would be fun to swap a bunch in and out.

I think I should say once again, that this mod is worthwhile for those who want a universal player that is state of the art. I played some music via USB yesterday and it also sounded great.

14. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The Philips 5R4GYS is playing a big role in what you are hearing. When you say the instruments are slightly smeared together, that the Oppo is more euphonic, that is the Philips rectifier doing that. (I am in the process of rolling several different rectifiers through my Line Magnetic amp). Unfortunately, it is is also responsible for that killer bass you are getting, and it will only get better and better as it breaks in. So the question you have to ask is if you are willing to give up a little articulation in the bass for a more balanced sound overall. I found the Philips, even fully broken in, to be a very dark-sounding tube. It did wonders for CDs on the brighter side of the spectrum, but was a bit too dark for really well-mastered stuff, IMO. Best bass I have ever heard though. A lot of details and percussive elements seem to get lost in that bass bloom though.

I have two others I am trying now, and one of them is a new production tube which so far is very promising (not broken in yet) and only $31. It is the Genalex Gold Lion. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161136823012?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rmvSB=true. This tube is far more balanced sounding than the Philips. It also has about the same bass weight as the Philips. I just don't know if it will develop the same nuance and articulation in the bass once it is broken in. It isn't there yet. But it has only about 14 hours on it. And so far it is just a tad brighter than I prefer, but that will probably tame itself with more time. The vocals are more forward in the presentation than with the Philips, and little details and percussion are quite a bit more spaced out compared to the Philips as well. Things are not getting buried in the bass like the Philips. I am optimistic this will be a very nice tube once it is fully broken in.

I also just got a 1957 Mullard metal base 5AR4, but have only had it in my amp for a few songs to test it. It was glorious. But not fully broken in yet either. And way way more expensive than the Genalex (or the Philips for that matter). So I think the Genalex could be a worthwhile roll for you. Just don't underestimate the changes that will happen to all tubes as they break in. Tube rolling takes a lot of patience (more than I have sometimes).

BTW, the thread I started on my amp and DAC includes my experiences as I have tried out these different rectifier tubes, if you are interested: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/line-magnetic-518ia-integrated-amp-and-502ca-dac.488694/

15. Tullman

Thanks, the Genalex is something I might look into, and it is not too expensive. Actually things are tightening up, and are sounding really good.

IanL likes this.
  16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Any idea how the metal base Mullard compares to the fat (black)base which followed it (and is generally about 1/2 the price, even though still pricey)?

17. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I haven't heard a black base, but here is a pretty awesome comparison somebody on HeadFi did of a lot of the most highly regarded rectifiers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dub...eview-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread

The Mullard metal base is #4 on that list, and the black base is #6. (These aren't rankings, just descriptions and comparisons). The Philips that Tullman and I both have is #11 on this list.

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Yes, I've read that before. The blackbase Mullard on there is the one I use, but it's not the one to which I am referring, which is a fat base and was manufactured between the two Mullard's mentioned. It's often said to sound nearly as good as (some would say as good as) the metal base at generally about 1/2 the price.

BTW, is the EML on the list the one HedgeHog is using?

19. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Yes, the EML is #7 on the list.

As for the fat base Mullard, I have always read that it is just the earliest construction of the black plate, with similar sound. Brent Jessee does indicate on his website that it shares some sound characteristics of the metal base. So I don't know! Would be interesting to hear from somebody that owns both and has spent time listening to both.

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I agree. Some threads on other forums wax eloquent about the "fat base sound". I'm tempted to try it but would be a bit disappointed if it turned out to be about the same as my current tube :p

21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Oops. I meant to say black base, not black plate! These tube identifiers can get confusing!

22. Tullman

Did any of you guys get the bybee and audio magic pulse gen options?

23. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

My 105 has those two options.

24. Tullman

I really wonder how much of an effect those options have on the sound. There is no way of telling if you order all the options at once, and why wouldn't you, especially with shipping costs. Still, I'm betting they have a very positive effect on the sound. My Oppo is soooo... much better than the original version.

25. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Man, reading through this thread is really tempting me to send my Sony HAP-Z1ES to Dan for the "Modwright treatment". Sounds like the sonic lift would be pretty significant. In terms of priorities, I've got a couple other things ahead on the audio chain upgrade list, but hopefully I can do this in the not too distant future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.