Oppo 105D with Modwright Modification

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

I was talking to a mate saying that the Modwright Oppo with the Rasmussen upgrade would be an absolute giant killer.

2. Ilovefooty

I was talking to a mate saying that the Modwright Oppo with the Rasmussen upgrade would be an absolute giant killer.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah and would also cost $6500.00 including the unit.

Ilovefooty and tmtomh like this.
  4. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

So then we will change it from the Giant Killer to the Wallet Killer

Dave, Ilovefooty, scobb and 2 others like this.
  5. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

Wow I wonder how much difference that aussie DAC mod would make to a fully modified modwright unit.. Since the dac isn't touched with that mod.

Seems a completely different route to the way Dan Wright modifies his units..

6. Tullman

Australia is way to far away for me to send my expensive modded Oppo, too many things to go wrong. There is also a chance that they screw up what has already been done by modwright. Now, if this was modwright offering DAC mods, then maybe.

7. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I'm going to Oz in 2 weeks but I'm not bringing the oppo with me! :D

But yes I think im pretty happy with Dan's mods so far in terms of bang for buck..

Id really like to audition this unit though against mine.

8. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Where to buy the Sophia Tubes ?

9. Ilovefooty

One thing you can be sure of is that Joe won't screw anything up. He has been in the audio game for more than 20 years working for Australia's ABC and Vacuum State. He knows his stuff.
    But i agree, shipping your unit to the **** end of the planet seems crazy. I feel the same sending my unit up to you.

10. Ilovefooty

If you're in Sydney, give Joe a call.

11. Tullman

12. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

What about the grades ? A, B, etc...., that are offered on the Sophia's ?

13. Tullman

One year warranty as opposed to six months at the tubestore. If you are worried pay the extra money.

14. Tullman

Update: Listening to the Modwright Mod Oppo 105. The unit sounds better than ever. I have had no problems.

SKean likes this.
  15. Tullman

16. Tullman

I did notice the Modwright Mod for the new 205 will be available. However, which stinks IMO, the Power Supply has changed for the 205 so anyone with the 105 mod would have to buy the new power supply.

17. brettFX

brettFX Forum Resident

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest 'darker' tubes for the Modwright Oppo 105D?

...not warmer, darker. I also wouldn't mind suggestions on tubes that produce a bit more rounded sound, more space between instruments, something that has less of that false 1khz digital 'air' sound, almost clinical but absolutely NOT HARSH...or cutting or piercing or brassy.

I know pretty odd....something with less 1khz and less of that woody 250hz feel. Punctuated I guess like when you throw on a good piece of non-sibilant vinyl.

Lemmeknow.

Thnx,
    B

18. Tullman

I have used the Sophia's, Electro Harmonix, and Tung Sol 6SN7 tubes. I like the Tung Sol tubes the best I found nothing offense with these tubes. The Sophia's were good but went microphonic big time.

You could try these but they are expensive. Personally, I don't trust Chinese tubes for durability. I think they can sound great, though.
    cv181-tii-pair

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Completely new (for the Oppo) circuit and quite different tubes. Also noticeably better sound, which might be good or bad, depending on your perspective.

20. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I have a bunch of ModWright stuff, a modded Transporter, a LS-100 preamp, and a an old Sony 9000ES player.

The first two units have a similar tube arrangement to the Oppo mods, that is 6SN7 driver tubes and a tube rectifier. The Sony 9000 has a tube rectified power supply but uses 5687 tubes, don't use it much any more because of the Transporter.

Anyway for the 6SN7 tubes I have been using these Shuguang Black Treasure tubes in both the Transporter and LS-100
    NEW 2 pcs= 1 Matched pair Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z tubes Re 6SN7 CV181 | eBay

I think they are a killer tube. I'm also using the Philips rectifier.

Anyway I was turned on to this tube by a long (and old) thread on the ModWright forum.

This link will bring you in near the end where this tube is discussed, Dan also plays an active role in the discussion

ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

21. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

BTW, Dan is no longer using 6SN7s in his mods.

His new Oppo Sonica mod sounds very intriguing as a replacement for the Transporter. Unfortunately, I listen about 80% phono so I'm on the fence about it.

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

CV181-TII aka 6SN7 (pair or single)

These are a slightly better version of the PSVane, which I have been using for the past couple of years, and mentioned earlier in this thread.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) Dan's new mod sounds noticeably better than the 105 mod. Definitely in the unfortunate category, though, is that the best sounding 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes are considerably more expensive than 6SN7's.

23. Tullman

So, you are now using the 205?

24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Yes, the 105 is in my home theater

25. Tullman

Thinking about getting the CV181-TII tubes. I just moved the Oppo into the into the main system and not as happy with the Tung Sol tubes as I was with the Sophia's.
    You said, that you have had these
    TII tubes for a couple of years. No problems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.