Oppo 105D with Modwright Modification

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No problems, although I have moved back to the Tung Sol oval (round) plates when I listen to stereo, which isn’t that often with the 105. I would really suggest trying to get a listen to a Modwright Oppo BDP 205.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

How did the TII tubes sound compared to the stock tubes?

I already have invested $$$$ into the 105 and I have a nice Esoteric player. I have other things to upgrade at this time.

3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

They sounded much better than the stock tubes to me; more open, smoother treble, better dynamics

Tullman likes this.
  4. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

. I have stand alone Darbee unit that I use for cable. Excellent little gadget.

5. Tullman

I picked up a used Magnan Super Bronze Signature power cable. I installed the cable into the Modwright power supply. The Magnan replaced a Shuynata Venom PC. The results were stunning. Everything improved from top to bottom. I think the cable has just as much effect on the sound as a tube replacement.

I believe that the Modwright power supply that came with my Oppo 105 can really benefit from better power cables. This is something that Modwright 105 owners might want to experiment with.

hi_watt and Dave like this.
  6. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

What rectifier tube are you using?

7. screener

screener Forum Resident

I agree with Tullman. I don't have the 105 but do have a 9.9 MW power supply. Different PC can make a difference.

8. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I like vintage RCA In my Modwright. I've settled on side-getter 60's RCAs as my favorite, I also have 50's gray bottle RCAs. Both have lush, rich, rounded sound. Can be had for not too much. To be fair, there is also a Mullard rectifier in the PS, so it is not all down to the RCAs.

9. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Certainly subjective !

10. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

I should add it may sound a bit better, even Dan said he thought it did. But mine 105D is not even broke in, since I was playing with my VPI for the last year and finally made a decision to dump my TT and all related gear once and for all. Plus I have another hobby that NEEDS feeding. Plus I like having a few features on the 105D that are not on the 205, only have a need for one. It will be interesting what is next ?

11. Tullman

PHILIPS 5R4GYS MADE IN HOLLAND

Doug_B likes this.
  12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Isn’t everything? But I have both, and that is my opinion, and others who also have both units have concurred.

13. John Moschella

Yea that is the one, an amazing rectifier. That is what I use with my LS-100 and Transporter.

Tullman likes this.
  14. IanL

IanL Senior Member

This rectifier brings the bass like no other rectifier I have heard.

Doug_B, John Moschella and Tullman like this.
  15. Tullman

I was playing some HDCD discs on my Modwright 105 and they sounded great. This is another feature that we forget about.

16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Because for the most part it is meaningless. There aren't that many true HDCD discs out there; of the ones that are, the Joni Mitchell and Neil Youmg are all available now in true hi-rez, as are most of the Reference Recordings. The Grateful Dead HDCD's are confined to 1999-2012, although quite a few released even during those years weren't "true" HDCD, and many of them needed to be ripped to WAV anyway to correct speed/pitch inaccuracies or other anomalies.

17. Tullman

I collected HDCDs for a time. I'm glad I have a unit that does a great job decoding these discs. I was listening to Steve Windwood's Refugees of the Heart and it sounded great on the 105.

oregonalex likes this.
  18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

And it will sound exactly the same with HDCD turned off; it's from a 16/44.1 master

19. Tullman

I just installed these Psvane CV181-TII aka 6SN7 (pair or single) | Psvane & Treasure Audio Tubes . These are a big improvement over the new Tung Sol and, essentially the same, Electro Harmonix 6SN7. The Psvane's sounded quieter, with better bases, better soundstage, better musicality, you name it... These tubes are expensive, but in my system, these are a no brainer. Still, it took me awhile to break down and spend the money. The only thing left is how long these expensive tubes last...

Sure, I believe when you say the 205 with Modwright mod sounds better than 105, but that doesn't mean the 105 Modwright sounds any worse than it did before the 205, in fact, it sounds marvelous in my system.

hi_watt and John Moschella like this.
  20. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Will this rectifier fit comfortably under the hood of an LS-100?

21. John Moschella

On both my ModWright's (Transporter and LS-100) I use the Shuguang CV-181z Black Treasures from China

[​IMG]

They kill the Tung Sol re-issue but they really need about 100 hours to sound great. My bet is that they are very similar to the Chinese Psvane's.

Anyway, you may want to put in your back-up rectifier and burn you Psvane's for a few days.

22. John Moschella

No, its too tall. I run my LS-100 with the cover off. It's in a dedicated room so no worries. The other option is to cut a hole in the cover.

Diskhound likes this.
  23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I still listen to the 105 every day, in fact am doing so now ;)

Tullman likes this.
  24. Tullman

The Psvanes sounded great out of the box. They do look the same as the above pic, but they used a different coating and a teflon base. Perhaps more burn in or testing is involved.
    If these sound better after 100 hours, I'll be happy.

25. John Moschella

I thought my Shuguang's sounded good out of the box too, burn-um!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.