Oppo BD83SE vs my older Denon3910 for SACD/CD playback

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thebeatles67, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Evening everyone,

I have a stock Denon 3910 SACD/CD/DVD player--nice in its day a few years ago for sure and still plays great. My question is how much improvement will I notice in the audio playback if I decide to go OPPO BD83 SE? I'm thinking of selling the Denon 3910 and my Panny Blue Ray BDP30 for the OPPO at the moment.

Mike

2. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

IMO, I think the Oppo SE would beat it hands down w/o breaking a sweat. A friend of mine did a A/B with the SE versus the McIntosh MCD500 CD/SACD and it was close. The McIntosh won out by a hair or two.

http://audioaficionado.org/general-audio-discussion/2991-oppo-bdp-83se-versus-mcintosh-mcd500.html

IMO, get the Oppo SE and MD has a special for $899 and Limited-Time Offer: Get a FREE AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m Cable with Purchase of the Oppo BDP-83 SE, a $225 value!

Bob

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I owned the DVD-3910 up until not too long ago (now belongs to forum member KeithH). Had it since release. It's not even a contest, in audio or video.

4. thebeatles67

Thanks guys for the quick updates. Sounds like it might be time to move on up to OPPO BDP83 SE. That $899 Muisc Direct deal w/free HDMI sounds good to. Thanks.

5. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

IMO, it's too good of a deal to pass up. It's that good of a player. Period.

Bob

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The '3910 is a very nice player, but it is several years old now. One would expect a similarly priced current player to beat it.

I originally had the '3910 in my main system but moved it to the second system when I got a Denon DVD-5910CI. The '3910 serves me well in the second system, and I only use it there for DVD-Audio. For CD and SACD, I use a Sony SCD-XA5400ES.

7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Thanks for the info. I've also been tossing this idea around.

After going HDTV I added a cheap-ish Panny BD player and removed the 3910 for lack of shelf space. I've been debating adding a DAC or going for the Oppo.

The Panny was a huge step backwards in audio. I'm now using the DAC in my pre but miss the sound of the Denon.

So you guys are saying the analog out from the Oppo is better then the analog out from the 3910, or are you using the digital outs?

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Is there a break in period with the Oppo before a person compares it another CD player?

9. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Onlly if one believes in break in.:angel:

10. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

KeithH mentioned the Denon 5910CI;

Does the Oppo BD83SE (or even the normal Oppo BD83) "beat [the 5910CI] hands down w/o breaking a sweat." - FOR AUDIO CD/SACD/DVD-A?

The 5910CI sounds pretty..., pretty..., pretty good...

:wave:

11. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

Anyone...?

Oppo BD83SE (or even the normal Oppo BD83) vs 5910CI...?

:wave:

12. jeffrosen

jeffrosen Forum Resident

I have the stock on both players and for SACD the Denon beats the Oppo. Now if I had the special edition it would probably be a better battle.

13. KeithH

The Denon DVD-5910CI is a recent flagship unit and an excellent audio component. I know that some folks here love the Oppos, but I hope no one is going to try to tell us that the Oppos beat the '5910CI.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't know of anyone who has both the SE and 5910CI. You could count me as surprised when the SE beat my SCD-1.

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

How significant was the difference?

16. thebeatles67

Hi Keith,

I can think of one instance at the moment. Here's one specific example of when the OPPO SE would have MORE capability than the Denon 5910----the 5910 won't play Blu Ray and if you want to play the new ToM Petty Blu Ray audio only Hi Definition/Resolution Live Antholgy disc from the boxset--the BE not only has Blu Ray but the sound is going to be terrific. The 5910 can do many things but in this case it just can't compete. Granted this is an extreme circumstance but.....

Mike

17. KeithH

Sorry I wasn't clear, but I was talking about audio quality. Also, you are talking about a feature, while I was referring to inherent quality.

18. KeithH

And while you had the SCD-1 partially modified, it's still 1999 technology. The SCD-1 is still a great player, but it isn't state of the art.

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You can compare the Denon DVD-5910CI with your SCD-777ES. That would provide a data point.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It was easily noticeable. The SCD-1 sounded almost dull or veiled in comparison. I do realize that's an audiophile cliche. Some listeners may even prefer it, and of course it depends on the associated gear.

All true, but even a 10 year old SCD-1/777ES (modded or not) still sounds better than most every $1000 player out there in my experience.

And when is something no longer 'state of the art?' The 5910CI is at least 4 years old. In 6 more years is it no longer any good? I do appreciate the advances in DAC design (I think the ESS 32 Sabre DAC is what helps the OPPO shine), but we're almost at the point of diminishing returns for much of this digital gear. A good 25 years into CD, there's only so many ways we can coax sound off of 5" discs.

21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:righton:
    I'd keep the Denon and spend the $900 bucks. BTW, I don't go along with a hands down winner in the difference. I A/B the Oppo and my 2930. A difference, slightly but I couldn't say which was better, worst or just different playing a cd. FWIW.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You A/B'd the BDP-83SE with your Denon?

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Why not buy a real CD player?:cheers:

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Too many good sounding Blu-ray releases out there :agree:

25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That's why you need a Blu-ray player. Don't expect a $900 budget piece to do every well:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.