OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Re: Gapless playback

I've used Foobar to merge all tracks of an album into one album-length FLAC which then successfully plays gapless on the OPPO.

That way when browsing my portable hard drive there's only one file in each folder and I'm good to go. Works great! :righton:

Jerry Horne and stereoptic like this.
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I'll give these a spin in my Squeezebox soon. Should be gapless?

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Good idea - thanks!

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yes

5. In order to check this (via listening), you have to go to the menu to change that setting, so there is a t least a 10 seconds or more time difference (silence gap) if you want to compare this by listening. I am sure that - if there is a difference - it will be so minimal that you (I should say: I) could probably only hear that in direct A/B comparison.

For measuring, I don't have the right tools and I wouldn't know how to do that.

This is what I was thinking. There is the possibility.

Maybe someone who knows about the internal design could say whether there is a different signal path once you select the variable setting compared to the fixed setting, of if the "difference" only settles in once you go below 100%. I don't understand how the volume control works exactly in this device.

6. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

According to information available from ESS the DAC manufacturer and a number of posts on other forums, the volume control operates as a digital attenuator. Full volume is 100 and 0 is mute. Setting the volume to fixed and setting volume to 100 equals no attenuation. The big difference is setting the volume to fixed disables volume adjustment except for mute. Therefore there should be no difference between fixed and 100 other than fixed disables digital volume control.

7. Thanks for the explanation. Sounds reasonable and logical to me.

8. I am using my Oppo BDP-105EU now also as a DAC to connect other sources (CD players etc.). For a digital connection, what is considered to give the better sound, the optical or coax digital input? I would be using decent but not very expensice cables, only 3 feet long. Maybe in the $10 to $50 price range max.

9. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

From the Oppo Facebook page:

deadcoldfish and Ilovefooty like this.
  10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks for that. Just to clarify, the page indicates that the upgrade is for both the BDP-103 and BDP-105

11. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Interesting to see that DSD (DFF/DSF) support is being worked on for both the 103 and the 105. I hope this feature makes it to the official / non-beta release. On the flip side, it's a bummer to see there will be no more streaming of AVCHD folders (I know, not Oppo's fault).

12. So what does this really mean:

Added support for CUE file playback. The function can be applied to music files on local storage and supported audio formats include FLAC, WAV, APE and MP3.

Does this mean that if I rip my CD's with EAC and the "create image and cue-sheet" option, which rips the whole CD as one wav-file and also creates a cue-sheet with the respective track index points etc., that I can select individual tracks from the cue-sheet and the player will then "jump" to the respective position in that one wav-file?

If that is the case, this would be really great.

13. I also have another question.

I plan to invest into a NAS dual-hard-drive system (I will use it in Raid 1 mode so that I have backup), can I connect this NAS directly to the Oppo BDP-105EU via the USB connection? Do I use the asynchronious input on the back for that or is that only meant for regular external hard drives.

Sorry if my question is silly, but I don't have any profound knowledge about NAS and what the difference is between NAS and a simple external hard drive as far as connecting it to the Oppo.

14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

NAS is "Network" Attached Storage - so that means if you have a network in your house via a wired or wireless switch or router, then any computer in your house could be set up to access the NAS - not just your Oppo. If the hard drives are connected directly to your Oppo - then that is called DAS, Direct Attached Storage.

Raid 1 is configuration where one disk is used as the 'primary' disk for your data and the other is a mirrored copy. Whatever you add/delete/change on the primary, the mirror disk sees the same thing. Be aware though that Raid is NOT a backup. In the case of Raid 1, if you delete something, then it is gone also on the second disk - it is a 'mirror' of the first disk. And if for some reason the first disk gets corrupted, so does the mirror.

The main advantage of Raid 1 is data availability: if for some reason the primary disk fails, the mirror then assumes the roll of the primary and you keep playing away with little (and should be no if configured correctly) interruption.

But again, Raid 1 is NOT a backup implementation.

Same for other Raid levels - such as Raid 5 for parity or Raid 6 for DP (dual parity) - Raid protects you from losing a disk, or two and you notice no interruption of availability - but it is NOT a backup.

15. Thanks for the detailed input.

Yes, I will connect the NAS via an Ethernet connection to my network. Then, if I also connect the NAS via the USB to the Oppo, I can access the files on the hard drive(s) of the NAS via the Oppo without having to use the Ethernet connection? In other words, will the NAS connected to the Oppo USB work very similar to if I would only connect a simple external HDD?

I think I understand your point about backup. What I meant was, that if one of the hard drives fails physically, then I still have the data on the other hard drive. I can then replace the defective HDD in the NAS and have again two HDD's in the NAS with mirrored data. That is what I want.

If something else happens to my files that they get unreadable, and it is not due to a HDD failure, then the mirrored (corrupted) data will not really help.

Anyhow, I want to protect my data from a physical hard drive failure.

Raid 1 will give me that, I think.

16. Erik Tracy

What NAS device specifically are you looking at?

Typically for a given storage device you either connect it to a network or you connect it directly to a host device(such as the Oppo) - not both at the same time.

And - just to re-iterate, Raid1 or any Raid level configuration is not a backup.

Data loss can happen lots of ways - lots of times it is the human in the loop that does something they shouldn't have - like deleting files.

A robust storage configuration would have both Raid - to protect against single disk failures to provide uninterrupted access AND a true backup copy someplace else on different storage (which will protect against other catastrophic hardware failures or user 'oops').

17. I am looking at either a Seagate BlackArmor 6TB (2 x 3TB) 2-bay or a Western Digital My Book Live Duo 6TB (2 x 3TB) system.

I want the ethernet connection to rip my CD's from my computer and safe them directly on the NAS and then I want to use the USB connection with the Oppo to play back those files.

So the writing onto the drive would be via my computer and the Ethernet and then the reading of the files (music playback) would be via USB to the Oppo, using the Oppo user interface to browse the files (and then later, once available, the smartphone remote app for the Oppo which will then include the file browsing option).

Bad idea or this won't work?

18. Erik Tracy

So you want to use the network connection to transfer files to the NAS from your PC, then read the files from the NAS directly to the Oppo via the NAS USB connection, right?

I'd have to go look at the two devices you've posted - but I'd verify first that the NAS USB ports can be used for data transfers - maybe they are for management only, or for expanding storage with more USB drives behind the NAS and not for export sharing of data....depends on the units.

19. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

The whole point of the NAS is that it can be accessed by any device on your network. If you are going to use a NAS then there is no need to connect the NAS to the Oppo via the USB port. You would connect your OPPO to the network via ethernet or wireless and then use the network to access files from the NAS. The NAS would be connected to your router.

If you simply want to access files via the USB port on the OPPO and not via your network then just purchase a USB drive, save your files to it and then connect it to the OPPO USB port. The USB drive is then functioning as a storage device and no network is necessary and it would not be necessary to spend more money for a NAS drive which would not be used on the network.

20. Yes, exactly, this is what I would like to do.

I have no idea what I should lock for in the specs to see if it is possible.

21. I understand what you mean, but this is why I would like to do it how I have it originally posted.

I have a wireless receiver close to my stereo. It receives the wireless signal from my router. This receiver has four ethernet connections, and I have various devices hooked up to it, like my TV, the Oppo, my other Blu-ray player etc. In order for the connection to work, the receiver has to be turned on (obviously). I usually have that receiver turned off.

The wireless router is also used by many other people in the house, like my son, my wife and sometimes even a tenant we have. And then also by me when I am on the computer. During the time when I want to listen to music, the wireless network would be occupied by all the other devices, and I think the bandwidth would suffer from my wireless setup if I would stream the music over it (sometimes high-res files). I just feel better about the idea to have the playback of music files via a direct USB connection between the Oppo and the NAS instead of going over the wireless network.

I also turn my wireless router off later in the evening and/or during the night. But I'd still like to be able to play the music files.

I know it is not the standard setup, but I would like to see if it works that way. I would at least like to have the possibility if the NAS allows that. If one brand makes this possible and another brand not, then I already know which brand I would buy.

For reputation, I am leaning towards Seagate over Western Digital, but maybe this is not the right decision.

22. For the Seagate NAS, I could find the following info about the two USB ports:

2 USB host ports
    Connect external drives, share a printer or utilize an uninterrupted power supply with the two USB 2.0 ports.

I am not sure what this really means and if my plan (to connect the Oppo with the NAS via a USB connection) would work.

23. Erik Tracy

I think what this means is that you can expand and share USB devices on your network by connecting USB devices to the NAS device - it is acting as a type of network server/interface for USB devices, which as USB devices are not sharable on a network. It doesn't sound like the USB connections on the NAS can be used to connect to the Oppo like you intended.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

25. So, the NAS cannot be used as a "digital audio source device" connected to the USB DAC input on the back of the Oppo?

If the USB port on the NAS enables to connect a printer, this means this USB port can send data to that printer, right?

Isn't the NAS almost like a little computer? It has a CPU, right?

I was really hoping I could use the NAS like a "computer" connected to the Oppo. This is what the manual of the Oppo says:

To utilise the USB DAC input from a Windows computer (XP, Vista and Windows 7), a software driver needs to be installed on the computer.The driver is available online at BDP-105EU support page on the OPPO BD UK Ltd web site (www.oppo-bluray.co.uk).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.