OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

2. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

They should have addressed gapless at the design stage, but unfortunately they didn't.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

4. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

It explains why gapless playback probably cannot be implemented after the fact, but unfortunately it does not explain why OPPO did not bother to design the 103 and 105 to include gapless in the first place; which is the real issue for those of us who want and value gapless playback.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I answered that in post #277. I am responding not to get into this with you again, only to provide reference for anyone that may have missed it the first time.

6. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

And I'm not responding to get into this with you either. The differences between your posts and mine are pretty simple. You appear to be ok with OPPO for not including gapless playback based on the current design and I am taking issue with OPPO not designing the players to accommodate gapless play in the first place. Gapless may not be important to you and some others but is very important to me.

7. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

So use foobar (with SACD and DSD plug-ins) to an ESI Juli@ soundcard with optical coax out to preamp/AVR ... and give it a rest with the Oppo rant.

Larry Johnson likes this.
  8. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

How in the hell did my observation of the fact that OPPO does not include gapless turn in to a "rant". I use my Touch for gapless and it works fine. In addition, I have an old, old, Rio Karma portable player which likewise plays gaplessly. The OPPO players will not play gapless without workarounds. That is a fact. If pointing that out is somehow offensive to you, then I'm sorry and once again, if pointing that out somehow violates some forum, moral or ethical rule then again I am sorry, but it remains a fact. Sheesh.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Incorrect. I mentioned explicitly in that same post that it was not OK to be satisfied with the lack of the gapless playback!

If you want some background on design or features of these models, I might be able to help shed some light. Maybe even clear up some obvious misperceptions. I could not care less if you buy/use/hate the players. But at least lets agree on the facts before tilting at windmills.

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Jeff,

No offense but for those that want and value gapless playback they should buy a dedicated device to stream music. It is no secret that the 103 and the 105 does not have gapless playback. Nor have I heard that Oppo said that they will be offering that as an upgrade to the 103 or the 105. So why would one buy the 103 or the 105 expecting otherwise? I could understand your frustration if the Oppo's were the only choice available to stream music. But that is not true as there are other options to chose from.

Bill

11. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I'm glad you have some background on the design and features. I assume OPPO is well-aware of the fact that many customers want gapless based on posts here and on the AVS forum, but if not, please feel free to pass along that fact to OPPO for their consideration in the next iteration of their players as I have done via correspondence with the company.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

They are well aware, and greatly appreciate such feedback.

13. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Thanks Bill. I guess your philosophy is different than mine. I like the player and I purchased it knowing it lacked the feature. As I stated I have a Touch which will play gapless but that does not mean I would not prefer that OPPO produce a product which includes gapless. I guess I'm confused as to why that is such a "controversial" subject. I would wager their next models will include the feature.

Is it your position that OPPO should never include gapless play in their product?

14. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Glad to hear that. In fact, that has been my point from the inception.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Jeff,

No it is not my position that Oppo should never include gapless playback with their products. By stating that you are just looking for another argument. Once again no offense but you have made your point about this in numerous posts. It has gotten to the point that you are on a "rant" about this subject IMO. The subject of gapless playback is not the least bit "controversial" but the fact that you just won't let it go sure is. I believe your confusion is from the fact that you do not realize your are beating a horse that has long since been dead ;).

Bill

Larry Johnson likes this.
  16. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Save your arguments for the courtroom where their efficaciousness may well be more appreciated.

17. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Ok Bill, I am completely wrong and you are correct. There is absolutely no reason why OPPO should feature gapless playback. I stand corrected and because I now realize the error of my ways I will let it go. I'm sorry it took me so long to see the light.

18. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

The argument ad hominem. Nice retort.

19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yes it should. However, does this player have a big enough ram-buffer built-in to be able to do this? Perhaps it doesn't. Either that, or perhaps it has a big enough buffer to handle low-res files, but not high-res. So perhaps rather than be inconsistent, they just decided to not do it for any files.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Jeff,

I'm not trying to prove I'm right about anything. I do not believe one person in this thread has said that Oppo should not offer gapless playback. I for one would definitely want it but I look at my 103 as a universal player first and a music streamer second. I do not think you are wrong in the least to voice your opinion about the lack of gapless playback with the 103 and 105. The point you are missing is that you just will not let it go. By your above heartfelt and sincere post it seems that you are ready to let it go. Good for you ;).

Through all your posts I have not seen you mention a response from Oppo on yout inquiry about gapless playback. If you did post a response from Oppo my apologies as I must have missed it.

Bill

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I haven't read through this thread so if this has been answered please excuse me, I have a 105 coming tomorrow, it's going into a system without a video display and will just be used to play CD's and SACD in stereo. Does the player automaticlly default to the stereo playback when using the stereo outputs or do I have to set it up using a display first?
    Thanks

22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Some things will never change round here partner.

23. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Here is a settings checklist with defaults which should assist you. Even though it references the 103 it is applicable to the 105. http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103_Settings_Checklist.html

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Thanks so I assume that I would need to set it up with a display the first time? If I set it up with an display and unplug it will it retain the settings?

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It should. I was told my 103 will retain after a power outage ! :thumbsup:

Congratulations BTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.