OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Sam, do you know if the 105 will play .wav hi-rez files ie 24/192 or 24/176.4 from dvdr discs such as the RR HRx discs?

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There's no conspiracy theory here... the issue is/was strictly for DTS 24/96 lossy codecs encoded to DVD.

Strange that your display recognizes DTS on the HDMI stream. Are you sure that's not the OPPO telling you that's the track information?

It should. As I understand your example, those discs should be the same as those Classic HDAD 24/192 titles. Which play fine on all the OPPOs.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would assume that is what is happening. My guess is that there is no way for the 103 to show a display for what resolution or audio format that is output from the 5/7.1 analog output. So my display is showing what is being output from HDMI even though that is not the chosen input on my 4311. This of course is just an uneducated guess on my part ;).

Bill

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks Sam, the Classic HDAD discs are authored DVD-Audio discs the Hrx discs are data .wav discs not playable on DVD-A players.

http://www.referencerecordings.com/HRx2.asp

They are playable on several of the Oppo models as well as the Cambridge 651/751, wonder if it is safe to assume that they would play on the 105 and the 752? :)

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Interesting. I was not familiar with those. I'll try to download a demo and give them it a shot.

6. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Anybody here capable of doing a 105/752 showdown?

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a 103.

8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The writer mentions that the Wirelogic Sapphire HDMI cable improved his picture and sound quality. Can a better made cable really do that? I thought that paying premium for an HDMI cable was something of a hoax. Or is that just in reference to Monster?

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I personally haven't experienced anything like that, in regards to different cables.

10. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Yes. You are.
    Buy the 752 whatever that is, Cambridge?, and the Opp0-105.
    Do a showdown.
    Voila!

11. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was very impressed when I had my friends 103 in my system.

12. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I have a Music Server in my HT setup. It uses an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card connected to a Integra 70.2 AV Receiver via Digital Coax. The PC Runs Jriver Media Center. The Integra uses Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs (PCM1796 x 6) for All Channels. If I purchased a Oppo 105, would I hear a significant improvement using the Oppo's ESS Sabre32 Reference Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) ?

13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Do it. DO IT!!!

14. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Should you hear a difference? Some would say yes, others would say no. If you do hear a difference, some would say it is because of the placebo effect or expectation bias, others would say your ears are the ultimate judge. Even then some would say whatever differences you hear or think you hear would not be a valid judgment unless performed via a double-blind test, others would say double-blind tests are not the way to judge differences. Bottom line: there is no correct answer.

15. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Hey, thanks for the help. It probably will come down to this. Oppo vs. Cambridge review comparisons sadly are hard to come by.

16. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Thanks for that reply, I know that this stuff is very subjective and maybe I should have worded my question a bit differently and not used the term "noticeable improvement. I guess the real question I have is will there be a noticeable difference in sound if I use the Oppo's Sabre 32 DAC instead of the Integra's Burr Brown DAC. I am currently using an Oppo BDP 83 for BluRay playback via HDMI, so all inputs are using the Integra's DAC. I am just trying to decide if the Oppo 105 is worth the investment in my setup

17. It's definitely an issue with longer runs of HDMI cables. Anything under 10' shouldn't be a problem for most well-constructed HDMI cables, but high-end setups that go longer than 25' tend to use repeaters.

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Are you happy with the SQ of the 83? Are you using Audyssey? If you are happy with the SQ of the 83 and you are using Audyssey the 103 would be the better choice IMO. I had the 83SE which was replaced by the 103. I had thought about the 105 but when I found out the price was $1200 that made my choice much easier. The 105 is a very good value for the performance and the features without a doubt. I just couldn't justify spending the additional $700. I was using the analog outputs of the 83SE to a Parasound 2100 preamp. I tried the analog outputs of the 103 and I felt the SQ was very close if not just as good as the 83SE. Now I use HDMI for all music (CDs, SACDs and DVD-As) so the 103 is perfect for me in my system :).

Bill

20. Do the SACD-Rs burned from ISO files, play on the 103/105?

21. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Yes.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  22. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Check out this blurb about the Sabre 32 DAC from MSB Technology: http://www.msbtech.com/support/What_about_32_bit_DACs.php

23. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Sorry but like you said, the chances of getting that direct comparo are nil unless you DIY.

Personally, the 105 is the best disc player I've ever owned.
    I've had a Denon-5900, 5910, Oppo-80(still have), Oppo-95(ripped-off).

24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Is there an appreciable difference in video playback quality between the 105 / 103 and standard blu-ray players (sub - $200)? Or is it all about the audio quality, superior build, and speed?

25. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

There should be no difference with video as both players use the same Marvell Qdeo video processor. I haven't seen any arguments that the video performance is much better than other competently designed Blu-Ray players in the same price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.